E10 petrol

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Simonfr
Settled in member
Reactions:
E10 petrol

Post by Simonfr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:44 pm

E10 petrol coming our way soon.... according to the websites ive read it says all Hondas post 1993 are good for E10 - it did however state that was for all UK/EU imported machines.
I dont suppose Jap grey imports would be any different?
If not E10 compatible, it looks like 'super unleaded' or additives..... what additives would you recommend?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: E10 petrol

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:12 am

Some Super unleaded has ethanol in it already, check on the manufacturers website for more details on esso, shell, Texaco etc

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:04 am

All petrol in the UK has had bio content for several years, 5% in unleaded and 7% in diesel (hence the E5 and B7 on the pump heads). I don't think going from 5% to 10% will cause any issues as any necessary modifications will have been done by now. IIRC the only thing I needed to do back then was change fuel hoses.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 pm

Not all petrol has ethanol in it, certain areas have never had ethanol in it, i live in one of those areas. I use esso synergy supreme which doesn't have any ethanol content in it.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https:// ... ep-YqHynvc

Under the heading - What is the ethanol content of your fuels?

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am

cbr400rrn wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 pm
Not all petrol has ethanol in it, certain areas have never had ethanol in it, i live in one of those areas. I use esso synergy supreme which doesn't have any ethanol content in it.

You're right, not all petrol contains ethanol (yet). The whole thing is a bit confusing and it's not surprising some people aren't sure about it. The label E5 on pumps is misleading and adds to the confusion. Generally the staff in the petrol station haven't a clue, and I suppose why would they? I'll continue to seek out non-ethanol petrol while I can.

The argument for adding ethanol to petrol is pretty much bollox anyway. If you take a world view then it's production does more harm than good. And don't get me started on a world view of producing electric vehicles :roll:

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 pm

You obviously share my thoughts on Ethanol and electric vehicles :lol:

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:44 pm

Foxy400 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am
cbr400rrn wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 pm

You're right, not all petrol contains ethanol (yet). The whole thing is a bit confusing and it's not surprising some people aren't sure about it. The label E5 on pumps is misleading and adds to the confusion. Generally the staff in the petrol station haven't a clue, and I suppose why would they? I'll continue to seek out non-ethanol petrol while I can.

The argument for adding ethanol to petrol is pretty much bollox anyway. If you take a world view then it's production does more harm than good. And don't get me started on a world view of producing electric vehicles :roll:
Most of the public won't even bother reading about ethanol, crikey most won't even know what ethanol bloody is. It's unfortunate i've a little time on my hands and have done a bit of searching and found who sells ethanol free fuel, damage it can cause (suppliers will not tell you this) and as for this site
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol
Bullshi@@ there's no way my vehicle is set up to run an e10 mix of fuel, the fuel hoses are old, it's got flaming carbs, doesn't get used all the time, i could go on but im just getting wound up.
Ethanol gives them more profit.

And relax and breath. Inhale, hold annnnnnnnddddddd exhale. :lol:

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Look at BTCC and Aus V8 Supercars, they've been running on Ethanol for years. But! Look at how much they invested to convert from normal fuel over a decade ago. Bullshit aside, older bikes will need all new fuel hoses and likely re-tuning if they run carbs. The higher the ethanol content the worse vehicles will run without a re-tune. By adding ethanol they are effectively changing the calorific value and characteristics of fuel.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:18 pm

I think all we can realistically do at the moment is seek out ethanol-free petrol when it's available and use the bike as much as possible, even if it's only once a fortnight or so. I try to get each of my 3 bikes on the road at least once every every 2 to 3 weeks. Maybe I'm lucky but I don't find it that difficult to find the time to get out. I've got 2 basic circuits I use if I haven't got anywhere specific to go. Each is around 30 miles, involving a bit of fast bypass and some twisty roads near Jodrell Bank, and each has at least one good cafe. Sometimes I combine them for a longer spin and if I'm in the mood I can add in the Cat'n'Fiddle A537, from Macclesfield to Buxton. On a sunny day, with time to spare, it's on to Matlock Bath. Or I head for home from Buxton, via Whalley Bridge, and back over the hills.
I don't ride in the rain (obviously..why would you if you don't need to?) but my bikes are taxed 12 months of the year. We do get a surprising number of fine, though cold, days during the winter and I'll get out on one of my short circuits whenever possible. They seem to use salt less often nowadays, maybe down to saving money, but as long as the bike is washed down I've never had a problem and I am very fussy about keeping them spick'n'span.
I know some people reckon just starting and running the bike for a while is good enough but I've had this conversation with Graeme France. He says it isn't sensible to do that and can do more harm than good, better to drain the tank and carbs if it's going to be left unused.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Well I'm hopefully getting out on mine this week for a jaunt down to Weston to pick up a van :lol: