NC31 1992 Workshop Manual

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Cockahoop
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC31 1992 Workshop Manual

Post by Cockahoop » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:37 am

HI all – I'm new here and new to owning a CB400SF. I've just bought a modified NC31 1992 cafe racer here in Hong Kong.

It's OK overall but runs rich and lacks power mid-high end (pinking and bogging down). Also cylinder 3 downpipe is cool for a long while after starting compared to others. Seems various work is required but I can't find a workshop manual anywhere online.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, or have a PDF they are willing to share?

Many thanks

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n
Re: NC31 1992 Workshop Manual

Post by Speedy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:14 am

Try this link, you can download the .pdf manual from there:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16545 ... -Four.html

There's also a parts manual, on the document library of this very site:
http://www.400greybike.com/files/cb400- ... -Parts.pdf
It's OK overall but runs rich and lacks power mid-high end (pinking and bogging down)
The carbs may need a clean and checking that the jets are unblocked and of the correct type/sizes.
Also cylinder 3 downpipe is cool for a long while after starting compared to others.
Swap cylinder 3 spark plug with another one, to see if it still stays cold after a while compared to the others; if it does, check that the spark plug on #3 Cyl. is sparking. If it's not, further investigation will be needed.

Good luck.
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 CB400 NC31

Post by untonyto » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:59 pm

I have the same bike - 1992 NC31 - with the same issues, plus charging system issues.
No luck so far finding an English workshop manual for that model year.
So far my research has led me to order a carb rebuild kit, and also to order a new starter relay (it made sense in my head until I typed it just now), and a new modern Regulator/Rectifier.
Later on I may attempt a complete Motogadget M.Unit rewire.
So frustrated that I'm willing to try anything at this point.
So right I'm waiting for parts. Please tell us what will work for you.

Cockahoop
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Cockahoop » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 am

Thanks for the info, Speedy.

I had the carbs cleaned by my local bike shop which made a big difference overall - bike runs much better, but still lacks power at the top end.

Workshop suggested this was likely due to various mods to convert to cafe racer style - custom air filters, exhaust etc, but also pointed out a couple of small chinks in two of the carbs, suggesting this may be impacting the vacuum seal. I’m going to try some JB Weld in the hope that creates a seal but not expecting a massive change in power output. Timing checked out OK.

Untonyto - good luck. I suggest you have your carbs cleaned and checked too as a starting point.

As well as the manual Speedy recommended, I found a Russian/English manual here (sorry for the long link, it’s from a Facebook group):

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/CB400- ... 7xRH4hG-I9

It’s not a Haynes manual but better than nothing.

Sorry for the slow reply folks, haven’t logged in for a while and didn’t receive any notification email.

Cockahoop
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Cockahoop » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:11 am

Sorry, and also now running on all four cylinders since the carbs were cleaned.