Won’t start

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fizzy FS1E royal Enfield Grom
Re: Won’t start

Post by Jordansilver1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:35 pm

I haven’t checked that as I haven’t a clue what to do lol I’ll take it to a local shop I’ll have to take rear section off to gain access to battery or can I just take battery to shop can they test the battery off the bike

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 am

You said you have a voltmeter on the dash. What does it read when the engine idling with the headlights ON and set to highbeam. What does it read when the engine running at 5000rpm with the headlights ON and set to highbeam.

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am

When I turn ignition on volts read 10.1
When I start it up on idle @1.5rpm with no headlights on volt is 12.4 upwards then @idle with headlights on volts read 10.2 @idle
And at 5000rpm with headlights on volts read 12.4 and when I push full bean button bolts drop 10.4
Last edited by Jordansilver1 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:40 pm

I suggest that the charging system is faulty. At 5000rpm with headlight on either low or high beam the battery voltage should be greater than 13 volts and preferably greater than 14 volts. This assumes that your dash mounted voltmeter is accurate. To investigate further you will need a multimeter and have to remove the tail section to gain access to the rect/reg and the right side fairing to check the alternator output connector.

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks magg like you say I’m not sure if that volt meter is reading correct but when I tried a different battery and turned ignition on it read 10.4 so I guess I’ll have to look for someone who is good on bike electrics thanks for you help

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Is there anything I can try before shelling out on a mec to look at bike is it worth me getting a second hand rectifier to try out ?

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 pm

There are to connectors in the charging system that are known to cause issues over time. You can inspect both and may find a problem. As mentioned above, one connector is part of the rect/reg under the tail section adjacent to the battery on the left side and the second is in the valley between the front and rear cylinder on the right hand side. Worth a look, as the contacts can be badly burnt to the point that the wires are no longer connected.

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:46 pm

I just took battery off bike and put it on my ultimate speed charger the led display says 14.2 V but on bike it’s 10.7 I also unplugged rectifier regulator it’s a CDI unit with a sun logo no fins just solid black box if that makes sense but plug looks ok I’m still trying to find the right side one but with no luck do I need to take fuel tank off

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm

The cdi(for ignition)is at the rear above rear light....the regulator is on left side(as you sit on bike)to the right of rear cylinder coil....check the wires to regulator and the connection for the stator at the bundle of wires/plugs on right side of engine behind fairing...(plug has 3 yellow wires going into it)

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Yes I’ll take a closer look tomorrow I’ll also try and get battery tested local I noticed my rectifier has no fins it’s just a solid black one says CDI rectifier I think make is sun not sure if it’s worth me trying a fin type one if I order one up or shall I try and get it tested