NGneer's "Project - spare bits build"

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,
Re: NGneer's "Project - spare bits build"

Post by Tim400GB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Maybe the wattage of the bulbs?
Can’t see it being a short, the undertray is all plastic.

Try the oem ones on another bike one by one to rule them out as a fault.

Maybe there’s some more dodgy wiring lurking?

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Well a bit of a P.S. to my last build project.

When I bought the bike it came with a few extra odd and sods and also a very tired looking paddock stand as seen in the pictures below:

This was the whole lot as I collected it:
Including this rather sad looking stand.

Well having built the bike I was waiting on a few little bits (just for winter servicing on the fleet) so took a good look at the sorry looking stand and decided it was also worth a bit of restoration action. As always the first thing to do was strip the thing down and see what we had to play with:Image
The bearings were seized solid but thankfully after soaking for a few days in oil and with much wiggling they finally freed up. Repeated flushing through with WD40 washed out loads of rust and eventually the bearings were running lovely and smooth. The bolts were replaced with some new ones and all the plastics were given a good clean up and rejuvenated with some Sonnex black restorer. I even found new length of chrome steel bar to make a new handle as the was just too much rust pitting to polish out on the original one (and 8 euros for all the bolts and steel tubing didn't"t seem to excessive to me).
I am currently doing a bit of a second restoration on my old brit (1956 AJS) and had to get some bits blasted prior to filling and repainting. Well as I got this done by the same guys who do my powder coating at the moment I took the rusty paddock stand components with me at the same time and asked them to strip those as well and chuck some powder on them for me the next time they were doing a batch of red stuff.
A week later and:
Bearings were refitted..
along with all the other cleaned up or new bits, and hey presto....a very tidy paddock stand once again :grin:

Tested on the Rothmans bike and it works an absolute treat

Well that was a fun distraction ....back to work on the the old bike now ;)

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Yes! Love a little side project

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 am

Epilogue:

Just thought I would add a last bit to this thread to sort of round it off really.

Well having got "Project - Spare bits" together and even road legal (which was not actually part of the original plan) I have been enjoying using the bike for work and for a few blasts around the Eifel National Park near where I live. For a bike put together from a non running bike and (the best of) the left over spare bits in my stash - I have to say she has ended up as a very nice bike to ride.

Having said that she was always build with one thing in mind and that was as a Track Day bike. Well the Classic Mechanics Magazine Trackday at Cadwell Park on the 30th of June just happened to coincide with a planned trip back to the uK to visit the family and it seemed too good an opportunity to miss (the Rothmans was just there as a spare bike - and was not needed/used)

Happy to report that " Project - Spare bits" performed very well even with my son and I hot swapping the bike throughout the day as he was ridding it in the Novice group and I was in the Inters. Looking forward to doing it all again, and catching up with some of the 400 crowd at the Classic Bike Track weekend on 14/15 Sep (http://www.classicbiketrackdays.com/cad ... sept-2019/).

See you there :peace:

bighug