NGneer's "Project - spare bits build"

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
Re: NGneer's "Project - spare bits build"

Post by NGneer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am

Timon wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 pm
Do love a home paint job. Gave yourself a difficult task bringing the wings across the tank like that. Think maybe a third feather is needed?

Like the fact you’ve kept some of the original lines
To be honest I was just trying to break up the mass of the white tank a bit and wasn't particularly trying to emulate the Honda wing style, that was more by accident than by design :? .......and having looked at pictures (in retrospect) the SP1's only have x2 stripes on the tank ;)

I have to stop myself getting too 'fussy' with it or I will start to go away from something, basic, that I am happy to throw around the track and will end up with ANOTHER tidy NC30, .....................and that is how I ended up with my second one a few years back :roll: :whistle:

A few stickers, because I have a shit load laying around, and bit of lacquer and that should be it for this one now. A few little jobs and I think the only thing I still need to sort are some indicators. It came with some crappy aftermarket things fitted that (IMHO) just don't fit the bike and whilst it is primarily a track toy, it would be nice to have it as another street legal option so got to be worth trying to find some OEM (or OEM style) indicators.
:rocks:

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 am

Steady progress with the current project bike.

Having discovered that I had the wrong bleed nipple for the rear calliper (too long) I assumed that I must have got it mixed up with one of the ones fitted to the (now refitted and bled) front callipers. I got around to removing the bleed nipples from the front callipers and discovered…..they were all the same. Bugger! It would appear at some point the wrong, IE a front calliper, nipple has been fitted and has been there ever since. I am not sure if/how the rear brake worked with this fitted as I never actually road the bike before pulling it apart. :?

Whilst sourcing a correct ‘rear calliper nipple’ was not difficult, I was loathed to pay nearly 3 times as much for deliver as for the nipple itself. :down:
As such I dropped Graeme France a line and I have one on the way now, along with the pair of used OEM indicators I had been after, and the postage is still less than just a nipple from other places. :up:

Whilst they are on their way I have pottered on with the cosmetics, which are coming along quite nicely but finally got around to talking a couple of electrical horrors that I knew needed looking at.
I am not sure why, but at some point the plug on the end of the fan cable appears to have been removed and the replacement solution, well.... was not the most elegant of solutions...or working… :shock:

I worked out where everything should be going (hopefully) and put new connectors on as well as a proper earth point before tidying it all up and making it a bit more weather resistant….
Sods law but whilst tidying up later I discovered I actually had a spare fan assembly in the garage so I could have either swapped it out completely or at least cut the original connector off and spliced it in. I will see how if the current fix works, but at least I know I can always re-visit this at a later date if needed. :roll:

Moving up to the front end there was a pair of added wires running from the main cluster behind the clocks down to two bullet connectors. Tracing it back I discovered that this should have ended up at the black connector plug thus being the cables for the L/H indicator and side light. Again I have no idea why, but the female side of the connector (that is a part of the main loom) was missing and the current replacement incorporated a mixture of broken crimps and various wires….. :shock:

Not nice at all, and not suprisingly....not tworking. So that was removed and at least I could get back to the original wiring to try and do something better.

I do have a couple of looms in my stash so contemplated cutting the black (female) side of the connector off and splicing that back onto the remaining wires on the bike but decided against that for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don’t actually have the other part of the cable I would need (ie the bit with the male black connector, sidelight bulb older and indicator connectors) and secondly, next time I get bored and really have nothing to do, I could just swap the whole loom over instead. As such it got a much tidier ‘temporary’ fix which will at least mean everything should work properly in case I decide to put this one on the road as well.

Really just waiting on the rear calliper nipple now so I think I will rebuild the rear brake system tomorrow, ready to be bled once the nipple turns up, then stick the fairings back on give it wipe over with an oily rag and get some pictures up. :rocks:

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 am

Some people should not be allowed near wires.
Like it, much neater solution, I'd get some heat shrink over the crimped connectors (but only because I have a hatred of the colours when people using loads of them everywhere or to replace whole plugs, replace the plug goddammit!)

I've got a bag of plugs i kept from a butchered loom (cant seem to throw anything away), if you get stuck for something let me know

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 am

Timon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 am
I've got a bag of plugs i kept from a butchered loom (cant seem to throw anything away), if you get stuck for something let me know
Cheers Tim. I am ok at the moment as I have crafted a better solution with proper solder splices etc and everything works fine. If the OCD kicks in at a later date I might give you a shout ;)

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 am

Well stickers applied and clear coat added so for better or worse here she is.

There is a couple of scuffs on the paint and areas where the lacquer ‘bloomed’ a little but I am not going to rub it all down again as this is after all (as I have to keep reminding myself) primarily a track toy :roll: .

Rear brake still to bleed when the nipple turns up, rear indicators to swap for OEM ones and possibly a concerted dig in the back of the garage as I am sure I have a set of racing rear sets in there somewhere that would make sense to fit.

Finally a couple of gratuitous family pics :grin:

:rocks:

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am

Great job done on all 3 bikes 😍
I see you said earlier your close to the eifel park in germany was over that way with my nephew on our mt10s in july great roads could'nt help but think at the time would be ideal for hooning around on an nc30 also.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Dynamohum wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am
I see you said earlier your close to the eifel park in germany was over that way with my nephew on our mt10s in july great roads could'nt help but think at the time would be ideal for hooning around on an nc30 also.
The Eifel is (I believe) the premier Biking area in Germany, and having also lived and ridden in Bavaria, right on the edge of the Alps.....I don' tsay that easily. The whole area is very bike friendly and they even produce a bikers map showing where the best routes are :-)
Being on the German / Dutch / Belgian border you do get loads of people comming over just to ride around the area, but it is so large it doesn't feel overcrowded.

If you find yourselves over this way again give me a shout :peace:

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Well the last few bits I had been waiting on turned up today, rear caliper bleed nipple, Optimate lead and OEMindicators.

I am on late shift this week so I had time to get in the Garage for an hour or so. I like to have a hardwired optimate lead on all my bikes and just rotate them on the optimate charger. The lead was quickly fitted and I moved onto fitting the calliper nipple and bleeding the rear brake. Just to Show the difference between a front calliper nipple (that was previously fitted) and the correct shorted rear calliper nipple. I would be amazed if it had actually worked with the wrong one fitted...
Image.

Having fittted the nipple I topped up the reservoir, dug out my vaccume bleeder and got myself set for the invitable pain in the arse Job of bleeding the brakes through.Not sure why, but it turned out to be the easiest brake bleed I have ever done. To be honest, as it was working so well with just the brake lever I took the vacume pump off and just bled them through the old School way. 5 mins later, full bled brake which couple with the refreshed calliper will lock the back wheel up quite happily. Sweet :grin:

Final Job was to swap the arrowhead after market rear indicators over with the OEM ones, just bescause they look better and I have already fitted OEM ones to the front. Easy enough done but having done so the indicators, even though both front and rear indicators are OEM and both are working, they now flash at double Speed....as though one of them was not working???? :?

I checked the bulbs that were fitted and they were the correct ones, however, just in case there was something wrong with them I swapped them over with some new ones and .....still flashing at double Speed :?

All connections checked (even though the indicators were working) and nothing obvious. I then unplugged the OEM indicators at the rear and plugged the aftermarket ones back in and ....everything flashes at the normal rate. :shock:
I checked for any wierd relays or anything like that, but everything Looks 'normal' to me. I ended up refitting the arrohead aftermarket items for now as I am thinking about putting this one through the German MOT so I can get it on the road to shake it down before actually sticking it on the track.

I may have another poke around when I have some time - but if anyone has any bright ideas about the double speed indicators - please feel free to share. :pray:

Nothin more to do with this one at the moment so it was tucked away with the other two....

....and my 1956 AJS was wheeled into the workshop as the next project.......for some much overdue attention and lovin' :peace:

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Odd one that, are the aftermarket indicators led?

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Timon wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:30 pm
Odd one that, are the aftermarket indicators led?
Nope - I thought that and checked, but normal Filament bulbs :?

What I think I will try is to connect the new OEM indicators into the front connecors and see how that works. If they work ok with the aftermarket ones in the rear it at least "prooves" the new indicators work properly. Then I just have to work out why one set of OEM indicators don't like working with another set :?: :?: :?:

Because someone had opened up quite a large hole in the undertray to fit the aftermarket indicators, I used some large washers to over come this, and was just wondering if These large washers could be causing some sort of short or false earth. Having said that I did something similar when refitting the aftermarket ones, and they seem to be working fine :?