RRJ speed restrictor

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
stonecreator
Settled in member
Reactions:
RRJ speed restrictor

Post by stonecreator » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi all
Can someone tell me definatively if there is a speed limiter on the j series and if so what to do please
Nc23 rrj
Gold ky2 cdi
Speedo removed
Rev counter working

Not sure if cdi is failing, been on dyno amd power nose dives at 12200-13000 then it picks up again, dyno fella said he has never seen anything like it but believes its electrical almost like an electrical limiter. You can see dyno. Chart fromy link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dcfVs ... lJPN0m2bKL

Thanks for help in advance

sa.racing
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 Race
Re: RRJ speed restrictor

Post by sa.racing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 pm

There is no speed limiter on the RRJ it was the later RRK model that cane with the blue CDI that has the restrictor the RRJ which came with the gold is unrestricted so the fact you have the gold CDI regardless of which model the bike is rules out the speed limiter,

What's the background of the bike, you say speedo removed is this a track/race bike?

What work has been done if any?

How long have you owned the bike?

Is this a problem that has just developed or did the bike come like this etc?

Might help us pin point the route of the issue, Being a Dyno operator myself for years 90% of the diagnosis is in the back story, but I looks to me like some sort of electrical misfire possibly dropping two cylinders (explains why you think it could be speed limiter related) if you can figure out which cylinders are dropping obviously it makes it easier to diagnose.

Let us know how you get on
Si

stonecreator
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by stonecreator » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for the reply and the interest, it is track bike. 112 dynojet, spongy air filter, ram fairing pipes on place, idle screws 2.5turns out, carbs cleaned and floats checked again and diaframs, I have used this bike. Only on the track for 16yrs,,std headers Hyde race can. 14/42final drive, using shell v power fuel but been told by Graeme to go back to good quality unleaded. Always had a flat spot or misfire but moves around the Rev position each year. Before it’s been 8k, 10k now 12.5k
New plugs, cleaned out plug caps and resistors,can my cdi cause this problem??

One last thing last year it seemed ok on the 14/40 bit now on the 14/42 it is so noticeable, coincidence or lower gearing made problem noticeable?

Thanks

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 am

Doe sit always nose dive at exactly the same revs all the time or just happened on that run? Your bike should be ok on supermarket fuel, no need for fancy stuff.
I'd install a new pulse coil, as they give the symptoms you have and can break down when hot.

stonecreator
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by stonecreator » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:12 pm

It now pulls up at the same Rev, however for the first 3/4 Laps it is perfect. Tested pulse coils as best as possible with ohm meter to book spec, all ok and ac voltages from system before regulator/ rectifier.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:52 am

I had something similar and then the bike would just cut out. It was caused by a dry joint or one of the components in the CDI getting hot and breaking down. Really frustrating to find as by the time you had pushed the bike back to the pits, everything had cooled down and the bike ran fine again
Fitted a replacement CDI & it was all good. Probably not what you wanted to hear but we are talking about 30 year old electrical components.

stonecreator
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by stonecreator » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 pm

All ideas are considered, I am now more and more heading the cdi route after nearly everything tested and replaced. Thanks M8