NC29 erratic idle and misfire

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
RussellJupp
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC29 erratic idle and misfire

Post by RussellJupp » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi all,
juts getting my little 1996 NC29 ready for spring...
picked it up at the end of last year...cheap. Not done much to it since then, so thought i'd fire it up.
Was running when I got it but poor idle etc. So, new plugs, fresh fuel, oil and filter, and carb balance.

Misfire on cylinder 1 at idle.
Blip the throttle, and rev it, its on all 4 and sounds good.
Motor is quiet, no smoke.

So, I'll open up the carbs and clean them. Not a big problem. BUT, what is the purpose of the TPS? It doesnt seem to make any difference to the engine if I unplug it.
Also I'm going to need the four little rubber blanking plugs for the balance ports. Anyone have a link for these please?
Thanks in advance,
Russ

dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250
Re: NC29 erratic idle and misfire

Post by dunkenb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Check the o-rings on the mixture adjusting screws if one’s out at tick over. And try Graeme France for the blanking thingys. The TPS adjust the 3D ignition curve for different throttle openings. I don’t think it does much if the bikes in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solim
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by solim » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 pm

I had that problem a while ago and was very frustrated about this. Was thinking of selling the NC29 L reg.

However, I didn't give up. Firstly, I orderd a compete carb seal kit from LiteTek:
http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_CBR400RR_NC29.html

Then I stripped the carbs and cleaned them ultrasonically. Jets also. After that I put the new seals and assembled the carbs.

After that I changed the ignition to stick coils. I ordered coils and wire harness from cbr600rr '07 on ebay and wired coils 1+4 in series and coils 2+3 in series. I connected them to original three round ignition wires plugs: one end of 1+4 and 2+3 is for 12V and go together on black/white original wire, other end of 1+4 goes on yellow/blue, and other end of 2+3 goes on blue/yellow.

The bike started immediately. I balanced the carbs and now the bike idles and fires perfectly. It also starts faster because of higher spark voltage. Besides that, I got rid of that bulky ignition coils, HT leads and coil stay, which made space for HRC ram air... :grin:

RussellJupp
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RussellJupp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice.
Pulled carbs off today. Inspected the o rings beneath the idle mixture screws. They are fine.
However the screws themselves had clearly been set by a tiny chimp. 3 were between 1 and 1.5 turns out from fully closed. One was 2 turns out.
Ive set them all to 2.5 turns out. Made new blanking thingies.
Refitted carbs.
Fired it up, re-balanced. Runs as sweet as.

One question...how exactly are we supposed to get at the two inner 'hose clips' for the manifold rubbers?
I guess the previous 'fiddler' had had th same problem, as they were not tight when i took em off.
Thanks again,
Russ

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 pm

From what I can remember you reach the clips to tighten them up by using a long flat head screwdriver through the small hole in the frame that the fake air intake ducts cover. I can't get to the Haynes manual at the minute as its stored in one of countless hundreds of boxes in the garage.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:26 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 pm
From what I can remember you reach the clips to tighten them up by using a long flat head screwdriver through the small hole in the frame that the fake air intake ducts cover. I can't get to the Haynes manual at the minute as its stored in one of countless hundreds of boxes in the garage.
I have a Haynes manual on PDF and on my iphone 6 haha.

Do you want me to send you the pDF version? CBR400RRN?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Bowches wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:26 pm
cbr400rrn wrote:

IPhone6 you are 3 in front of me (3gs) :lol: the Haynes from memory says how to take off, refit the carbs and which clamps to tighten/loosen for ease of refitting but that is from memory

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r

Post by Bowches » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 pm
Bowches wrote:
cbr400rrn wrote:

IPhone6 you are 3 in front of me (3gs) :lol: the Haynes from memory says how to take off, refit the carbs and which clamps to tighten/loosen for ease of refitting but that is from memory
you want me to send you the Haynes file for CBR 400??

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Think about the position of the clips before you push the carbs down make sure the screw heads point out towards the closest air vent on all of them.. I think i leave the middle two carb rubbers tightened up on the carbs and the outer two attached to the engine, before i push the carbs down. Go through the air vent holes. Small hands or long fingers to keep the clips in place and a long driver helps.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Bowches wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 pm
cbr400rrn wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 pm
Bowches wrote:

you want me to send you the Haynes file for CBR 400??
Nah it's ok thanks bowches I shall stick with the paper version for now as im a little stuck behind the times and not too keen on being dragged into the technological age too much just yet. Thanks anyway