nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified
Re: nc31 project

Post by bludclot » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:44 am

They weren't too difficult at all, surprisingly, seeing as they looked to be in a sorry state when removed. Firstly I de-greased them using a bowl, engine cleaner, a cloth and a toothbrush. I then rinsed them in hot soapy water before abrading them with wet'n'dry, 240 grit to start up to 400 grit. I then dried them and went through the usual pre-paint process (panel wipe, dry, tack) before two coats of etch. Once dry they were wet sanded with 600 before 2 coats of hi-build primer. Dry again and wet sanded with 800 grit before engine enamel silver top coat. No filler was needed - result!

I chose paint over powder as it's straight forward for me to remove them and blow in any stone chips once the bike is in use.

As stated above the forks will have new bushes, stanchions, springs, preload adjusters, seals and oil so they should be fairly healthy once done.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sat May 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Forks are done, note new genuine drain bolts, washers and clamp bolts.

kayzaki78
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cb400 sf

Post by kayzaki78 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:48 am

wow very detailed indeed, this type of bike project is really good for reference guide keep it up sir! :peace:

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:36 am

Some good progress with this in the last couple of weeks.

Brakes: calipers sent to 'Triple S powder coating' for - yes you guessed it - powder coating. New EBC organic pads have arrived and the remaining parts ordered from David Silver for a complete rebuild, everything new and genuine Honda. Second attempt discs are here having been re-assembled, the carriers were stove enamelled this time and I'm happy with them.

Footpeg hangers - stripped and ready for re-finishing. I discovered the left hand rider's footpeg was from some other bike and had been bodged on, a replacement was ordered and has arrived, I'll strip it today and then the lot can go for vapour blasting tomorrow.

Exhaust - drove to north London yesterday on the promise of a dent free example from a bike advertised as being broken by ebay member e-ruptor. His listing stated that the exhaust was dent free and when messaged said (and I quote from him):

"About the scratches, they are very shallow really. So much so that when you go over them with your fingernails they dont catch at all."

ummm no. Exhaust was dented where the silencer meets the link pipe (as it were), scuffed under the down pipes in the usual area that takes a hit from riding down a kerb and the silencer scratches were deep enough to doubt whether they would sand and polish out, the sanding would certainly have left a visible flat spot. Other scuffs were evident too. What a disappointment, especially as it took me 3 hours to drive there and another 3 to return home. I was not happy. Why not just describe it accurately before I set off?

One of the rear shocks was dropping oil on the swing arm at a rate of about a drip every 2 weeks or so. I removed and returned it, the supplier said that they, in turn, have returned it to the manufacturer for analysis / repair.

Pictures later after the camera battery charges.

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:14 am

Cool thread, loads of detail. Big shame about the EBay joker, I'd be fuming if it were me who made a 6 hour trip for a load of shite, so can imagine how angry your were!

souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by souperdooper » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm the ebay "joker".

Yes there was a dent about the size of a small fingernail on the weld of the silencer can with the pipe.
Hardly visible with the exhaust off the bike and out of sight with the exhaust on the bike.

I washed the bike and took the pictures in a haste and I didn't see it. My focus was on the scratches that are visible but shallow enough to polish based on the fact that the nails don't catch over them. I apologised for that.
I apologise again.

The exhaust was stated as used and in very good condition and it is as described.
The fact that we speak about a 23 year old exhaust seems to not be accounted for. (wishful thinking? probably)

You're probably looking for a level of quality for competition or to satisfy OCD.

I'm sure that £750 will buy you an exhaust of satisfactory condition.

After all it is only £575 more..

All the best,

George

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm not going to argue with you George, but it would have taken mere moments to examine the exhaust more carefully and describe it more accurately.

Here's the second pair of front discs. The carriers are smooth this time and won't suffer the brake dust attraction that the previously pitted surface would surely attract:

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 pm

I bought this:

It has it's faults but just look at the exhaust! :drool: Obviously it will need a bit of work before it's good enough to fit my red one but it's a good starting point.

I can't decide whether to tax and insure the yellow one and use it or sell it on straight away once the exhaust swap is done.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:57 am

Tax insure and use.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:39 pm

hmmm it's to be sold. I'll put it in the bikes for sale section here in the coming days, it runs really sweetly, stops well and has a fresh ticket so somebody will be pleased with it.

The exhaust is off, it wasn't too bad to start with:

but still took some 3 hours or so of wet'n'dry followed by course wheel and soap work to get to this stage:

At least the worst is done, but still a fair bit of work to go. The scratches have sanded out, there are 4 dents in it however. Therein lies the problem with polishing, imperfections become more apparent. Still on the lookout for a dent free exhaust then!

Meanwhile the footpeg assembles have been gently bead and vapour blasted, they look as good as new. I also painted the new lockset fuel cap meaning that all three locks can now be fitted and work from one key: