3TJ6 Racing in 2013

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: 3TJ6 Racing in 2013

Post by Kurlon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:45 pm

3rd in AM ULSB and she ran like a top all weekend.

I was actually stressed and confused a bit at times during the weekend as I had no reason to tinker on the bike. I've never had that scenario with my past machines, there was always something that needed attention or tuning or repair or bodging... nope, gas in the morning, check the oil to see it's not using any, on the charger when on the stands, tire pressure and warmer duty and at the end of the day drain the tank. Totally threw off my game not having to keep the toolbox open and a parts fiche pulled up on the laptop or a stack of carb notes spread out...

Front wheel got a flat spot on the rim during a tire change... bah. Doesn't affect operation but pissed me off. I'm working on using the gearbox now and getting much more drive out of the bike and can really see now how GP shift would be helping my game. The BDK front mudguard sits too close to the tire making tire warmer use difficult, especially modern ones that are thicker with more exposed seams across the tops... either need to find an OEM fender setup or make custom brackets to adjust the fitment.

Other than those nitpicks, stupid fun in a bit sized package that has the competition wondering what the hell I've snuck into the class.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Could you redrill or elongate the mounting holes on the mudgaurd ?

Nice when it all goes well

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:31 pm

For some reason I'm thinking they're not holes, they're nuts glued in place... I've got to take it apart this weekend and see what needs to be done. The front wheel needs to come off anyways so I can get spacer measurements too.

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:30 pm

What other bikes are you competing against, Kurlon ?
The grief with getting used to GP shift is when you change down when you mean to change up with a WOT when in close contact with other riders. Changing up instead of down is relatively harmless even if somewhat embarrassing !
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm

The bike's native class is ULSB. This pits it against Honda Hawks (Bros 650 in the UK?), Motards, 125cc GP bikes and up to 800cc air cooled Ducatis. Other tracks allow stock displacement but otherwise superbike built SV 650s into ULSB also.

LWSB is the next tier up where the Fizzer is still pretty competitive. Here the primary competition are built to the nines SV 650s and other modern liquid twins up to 800cc (non-desmo) as well as the big air cooled Ducs. 250cc GP machines are legal here too. Last year there was a 1WG running a new style non-spacer plate 560 in LWSB that I was hoping to tangle with but I haven't seen him this year.

LWGP and GTL run the same displacement limits as LWSB but skip any production requirements, it's anything goes here, with the GTL being a 25min mini-endurance vs the normal 8 lap sprints.

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Today's garage adventures - mucking with wheels and rearsets.

On the wheel front I've got a modern 5 spoke Yamaha R6 wheel to play with. It's got 4.5mm thick 310mm OD rotors so those will need to be swapped, but a basic test fitting shows my hunch was right, the rotor spacing is spot on matching the RR SP forks and brakes. One custom set of bushings plus a set of 03-04 R6 rotors should get me rolling. I'm pinging EBC about custom rotors as the 03-04 R6 calls for 5mm thick units, the Pro-Lites I'm running now are 4.5mm thick, and based on the info I've dug up the bike originally called for 4mm thick units, the 4.5s fit, I suspect 5mm units will shove in ok, but I rather have lighter skinnier rotors if I can. :D

On the rearset front my machine has a set of aftermarket fixed peg units of unknown origin. They're in OK shape although the left is starting to droop a bit. The rumor mill says 1WG rearsets use the same mount pattern and should swap on... so I'm going to get some measurements today to confirm or deny that hunch. If they do swap I've got access to Woodcraft ones locally that'll make emergency repair shopping muuuuuch easier.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Genesis - rather than just 1WG

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Some news:

First, the 2013 season is over for me, last round was at the start of the month. I didn't get any faster this time around, but I got much more consistent, which I hope translates to a solid base for improvement next year. Finished 5th overall in AM ULSB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhenakkSJ0

In other news, verified 1WG rearsets will fit, but lower the pegs approximately 1" compared to whatever brand 3TJ units I have on right now. My custom spacer project is moving forward also, first set are a tighter fit than I wanted, brake side seems perfect, clutch side was too short by .135" somehow. I'm going to get a second clutch side done up with adjusted measurements and hopefully that'll permit easy R6 front wheel swaps going forward. Of course, as I'm doing this, Dymag decides to extend their sale on full carbon wheel sets... I think my wallet will bite me if I go to their site.

Winter plans for the 3TJ include a full chassis/suspension measurement to make sure that A) she's straight and true and B) establish a baseline for my geometry to figure out what I need to do to go forward. Depending on what the numbers suggest, the suspension will either get refreshed or there may be some front end shenanigans involving other forks, internals, etc. If my budget allows, fresh bodywork from ARD along with a new BDK tail.

Oh, and I have to get an elliptical machine so I can get tuned up too... :whistle:

Kayla850
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Sunn Tzar S2

Post by Kayla850 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:44 am

I'm just glad the tank arrived ok, in one piece and not held for too long by customs. It's good to hear the bike's going well too :grin:
Useful project bike parts and stuff and things-

www.projection-racing.com

Titanium and Aluminium nuts & bolts-

www.pjcfasteners.com

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:34 pm

So, 'spose I should update this thread. I've been racing the FZR since, in 2014 I got down into the 1:21s, and then crashed in August ending my season early. That crash messed the bike up, ended up having new fairings made, put Race Spares rearsets on after ruining my unknown (I found a reference to them once online and didn't bookmark it, Japanese brand that's gone extinct) rearsets, and got it back on track in 2016, as an Expert. Pulled 3rd overall in ULGP (New native class for the bike after CCS changed the ULSB rules) in 2017, and this year got 4th as the new bikes in town, Kramers took over.

And... I also crashed again at the end of the season and am once again on the hunt for parts.

Pre crash (My 2003 R6 'fun' bike is hiding in the background):

And... post whoops: