xivlias "other" thread of multiple problems?

Where posts and threads can be moved to future safe keeping.
magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: xivlias thread of multiple problems?

Post by magg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:07 am

Did you fix the "loose" ignition pickup, it had a boggy thread IIRC. If itthe mounting is still suspect, it could come in contact with the starter clutch, make jamming noise and stop ignition on two cylinders which would certainly stop the engine.

xivlia
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 749 D

Post by xivlia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:18 am

that thread has been taken care of. and its rock solid in there. plus the jamming issue was there well before the threading on the ignition pick up was damaged. ive got college at 11am tomorrow... and lets hope the bike doesnt jam. it hasnt for several days.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:23 am

If you have no more jamming issues then perhaps the ignition unit that failed and you have now replaced was over-advancing the ignition timing while starting the engine. This could certainly give the same symptoms of a hydraulic or mechanical jamming problem, engine dramatically stops rotating and an audible knock. Could also account for the broken starter clutch, it would not like being driven backwards against the driving starter motor.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 am

Have you confirmed the old igntiion box is infact dead? I.e try it again or try it on another bike?

I cant really see it just dying one day, and you mentioned that a load of other crap magically got fixed when you moved the wires etc, sounds to me like a load of bad connections.

Espeically if you were running the bike, vibration will cause things to undo and fall off, like your little choke adjuster that you swore blind the garage had stole and were lying to you about.

Magg have you been taking some of xilvias meditcation? not even sure if that could actually happen but then answer is usually somethign much more simple.

1. he hasnt replace the starter motor, could be a duff brush or something in there.
2. im not sure what he has done with the starter relay?

My zxr400 would make a click liek you get with the dead battery / jammed engine once in a while.. it turned out to be the little metal canister starter relay. If you hit it with the handle of a screwdriver when you had the issue it would go away, replaced it with a new one and never had anymore probelms.

I think it is safe to say that this bike will never get fixed unless somebody goes up there or he takes it to somebody that knows these bikes.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

xivlia
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 749 D

Post by xivlia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:05 am

bike worked without jamming today. im glad about that. im getting in the habit of turning my tap off when i park at my college and house. i dont turn it off for small stops like getting petrol. and neo, the brushes in my motor are fine, i have checked them everything is within spec unless there is something else in there thats buggered. for now.... there has been no jamming. for several days.

also went to my local dealers today and since in know the guy, he said he would do an 06 r6. for 3500. 4000 miles on. but he wont part ex because his shop is full and it literally is. also, he said he can do finance on me with just third party and fire and theft insurance. but......if this bike is running fine now, i guess i can keep it for another year... :D plus ive got one more year till i can ride a fully unrestricted bike... not that mine is restricted at the moment :sshh:

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 am

xivlia wrote: he said he can do finance on me with just third party and fire and theft insurance.
Make sure you read the small print. I think you'll find that is bollocks.
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

RandomDan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by RandomDan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:41 am

Alot of dealers will still lie these days to make a sale.
Someone i know got told they could ride a 250 on a CBT by a dealers.
They only found out once it was crashed and then uninsured.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:32 am

RandomDan wrote:Alot of dealers will still lie these days to make a sale.
Surely when they insured the bike the insurance company would ask what kind of driving licence they have, and when it is revealed as a cbt / provisional they would not issue cover for the bike.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

RandomDan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by RandomDan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 am

Neosophist wrote:
RandomDan wrote:Alot of dealers will still lie these days to make a sale.
Surely when they insured the bike the insurance company would ask what kind of driving licence they have, and when it is revealed as a cbt / provisional they would not issue cover for the bike.
Apparently not.
Why would they insurance company care?
They get your money and they will never have to pay out.
Your not trying to imply insurance companys have morals are you?

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R

Post by speedy231278 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 pm

I've never once had to provide proof of indentity or licence, or anything like that to an insurer. The only time they give a toss about your details is when they are trying to prove there's some reason not to pay out. I was never asked if my licence was a provisional, full, full with 33bhp restriction or anything like that. All I know is that the one time I've reported an accident, they didn't care a damn, failed to do anything about claiming off of the other party who knocked me off despite me giving them his details, a photo of his van with a dent in the wing where he hit, and gave up trying when he didn't respond to a letter. Hopeless, and it cost me two years NCB, £300 recovery and several £100s in fixing the bike, plus I had to insure my 125, couldn't use any NCB on that, so it cost me a bloody fortune. Not only that, but with an 'at fault' (as they didn't catch up with him) and two years less NCB next year, the premium didn't change! So much for NCB making a difference!!