XJR400R2 Madmax exhuast carb retune info.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rcta15
Settled in member
Reactions:
XJR400R2 Madmax exhuast carb retune info.

Post by rcta15 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Ok here is what I have been up to lately just finished re-jetting the carbs after fitting this....
http://japan.webike.net/prv/detail/1001223/p21400162/
From standard 20345 miles great condition engine standard airbox with 4 degree advance ignition.
Standard Main jet size 90
Standard Pilot jet size 20
Standard Needle clip 3rd up from bottom
Standard exhaust
Valves adjusted 3000 miles ago, so she was running sweet as a nut in standard form only problem was the standard exhaust manifold was rotten and would not have passed it next mot....so I purchased the madmax exhaust (see link and read my review) but with standard jetting she ran way to lean so I purchased a jet kit online. Now I did have some concerns over this service and I was proved somewhat right when they sent me the wrong model pilot jets BUT that did not faze me as the size they recommended was just what I had as stock anyway so result.
So I was sent 4x 95 main jets and 4x 100 main jets (just in case), so I first installed the 100 mains and this was to rich so popped in the recommended 95's and raised the needle one clip plus turn out the fuel mixture screw 1/2 turn well I turned it 1/2 turn out from my known good running settings and she is running great.
Going by spark plug color from idle to 1/3 throttle which is just where I want it, I now get a nice chocolate brown arm with a tan colored insulator just how it should be.
So just to cover it again from a good running standard engine running below 1500 feet above sea level all I changed was 95 main jet 20 pilot jet needle clip is 2nd up from bottom and 1/2 turn out from standard on the fuel mixture screw.
I think that about covers it? if not I will add it as and when asked or remembered.

20/07/2015 UPDATE INFO
Ok after today's mess I have dropped the needle back to standard and she seem's alot better and the plugs look much better.
Last edited by rcta15 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcta15
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: XJR400R2 Madmax exhuast carb retune info.

Post by rcta15 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:56 pm

rcta15 wrote:Image
Ok here is what I have been up to lately just finished re-jetting the carbs after fitting this....
http://japan.webike.net/prv/detail/1001223/p21400162/
From standard 20345 miles great condition engine standard airbox with 4 degree advance ignition.
Standard Main jet size 90
Standard Pilot jet size 20
Standard Needle clip 3rd up from bottom
Standard exhaust
Valves adjusted 3000 miles ago, so she was running sweet as a nut in standard form only problem was the standard exhaust manifold was rotten and would not have passed it next mot....so I purchased the madmax exhaust (see link and read my review) but with standard jetting she ran way to lean so I purchased a jet kit online. Now I did have some concerns over this service and I was proved somewhat right when they sent me the wrong model pilot jets BUT that did not faze me as the size they recommended was just what I had as stock anyway so result.
So I was sent 4x 95 main jets and 4x 100 main jets (just in case), so I first installed the 100 mains and this was to rich so popped in the recommended 95's and raised the needle one clip plus turn out the fuel mixture screw 1/2 turn well I turned it 1/2 turn out from my known good running settings and she is running great.
Going by spark plug color from idle to 1/3 throttle which is just where I want it, I now get a nice chocolate brown arm with a tan colored insulator just how it should be.
So just to cover it again from a good running standard engine running below 1500 feet above sea level all I changed was 95 main jet 20 pilot jet needle clip is 2nd up from bottom and 1/2 turn out from standard on the fuel mixture screw.
I think that about covers it? if not I will add it as and when asked or remembered.
Took my daughter on the back into town today 'shopping' and when we got back to the bike she took ages to start and was smelling rich(not the daughter), almost had to send daughter home on the train at one point but I managed to get her running and we limped home? Wth
Took the plugs out they where carbon fouled (running rich) shit thought I had this sorted..
Anyway dropped the needle to standard height and took her for a run..well that was so much better, pulled properly down low and away from slow corners, top end was great apart from the clutch slip (grrrr) warmed up nicely oil temp gauge was normal and got home and let her cool down for 20 mins.
Whilst waiting I pulled all the plugs and they where much better and had no carbon fouling and looked fantastic, so put them back uncleaned and went to start her up, fired up fine so shut her down and did a few starts and stops in the button every time not throttle needed and idled fine each time and blipped fine on the throttle.
Pulled the plugs again and they the look the same so further testing/riding tomorrow and fingers crossed.

rcta15
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: XJR400R2 Madmax exhuast carb retune info.

Post by rcta15 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:22 pm

After some time now i have rejetted again and now she runs great with 92.5 mains and the needles on the standard setting.
The 95 mains were ok but i felt they could have done with the needles dropping 1 notch and not raising, for xmas i have an air fuel ratio meter and an o2 sensor to be fitted and this will alow me to get the jetting just right but at the moment she is running great.