Clutch Rattle(?)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
richhemmings
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30
Clutch Rattle(?)

Post by richhemmings » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I've posted this on the XJR forum and never thought to post here to(!), but maybe someone knows the answer..?

I appreciate this has been done before
here,here, here and here

...but I'm still not 100% confident of the source of my rattle... I've seen a few posts that say it is the starter chain, and others that say it could be worn clutch plates. I saw one post that said a clutch spring could fix the noise?!

In any case, please see this youtube link!
Rattle is very noticable <2k an fades out over 3k or when the clutch is engaged in gear. When in neural with the clutch in it sounds a little better too.
I'm 90% sure the rattle is coming from the left hand side of the engine opposite the clutch cover and behind the gear selector.

Probably not helped that the previous owner never chainged the oil about - 1500 miles covered on his watch... not sure how many it did before that without a change.

Can you please help me with:
1. Is this "clutch rattle"
2. Is it starter chain or plates
3. Do I need to worry?

Was about to do the oil change today but thought better of it if I need to swap in new clutch plates.

Thanks in advance.

(This post duplicated from XJROC

- Rich

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Clutch Rattle(?)

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm

Hmm it is noisy. I dont want to give a diagnosis because I dont really know these engines.
I'd say it's not a starter chain - there isn't a chain on the starter, maybe they mean the Cam Chain but that's a higher pitched tinkling sound.
Clutch rattle is usually associated with a dry clutch.
Does the bike have clutch slip ... if you try to accelerate in top hard do the revs rise quickly but the bike doesn't accelerate ??? If that's the case replace the clutch plates.
This might be serious .... take it to a garage and ask for a diagnosis then depending on your skill with spanners tackle the job

richhemmings
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30

Post by richhemmings » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi evilchicken,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I've heard it referred to as starter clutch chain, but this link lists it as the primary chain :?
Clutch doesn't slip and bike revs through the range fine, even at high speed.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Ah - good spot.
That would seem to be it then - either the chain needs replacing or adjusting in some way. I think these engines were the XJ / FZ600, there should be a manual on ebay etc have a look