Yamaha SRX 400

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Yamaha SRX 400

Post by Zippy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:30 am

This is my first foray out of the Honda V4 sections so please be gentle lol

I will post some pictures later but this will be about my journey with my little Yamaha SRX 400.

I've bought it to complete a charity ride next year from Hastings to Lands End without using motorways. No idea how far that is but I'm sure it's a long way and as I've never been to Cornwall I'm really looking forward to it.

So far the bike is in really good condition but as usual there are always little bits and bobs you want to change. For me it's the simple stuff at the moment. The grips are awful so will be replaced with genuine items and the bar ends have been damaged at some point and painted gold. These will be replaced with original items as and when they arrive from Japan. The mirrors are also terribly and not really worth being on there so they'll also be replaced with original items as and when budget allows.

The rest is purely cosmetic. At some point in it's pastit's been restored to a good standard, however, someone decided to powdercoat the frame black rather than the grey it should have been so I'm in two minds about what to do with it. Do I take it back to standard, or do I just keep it black and then get the bodywork painted a different colour altogether. At the moment it's almost the right original colour but it's been taken from a 70's Rd so it the wrong colour for the bike and a bit washed out. At the moment I'm thinking of keeping the frame black and then getting the swingarm powdered to match, then paint the bodywork yellow with the Yamaha speed blocks in black and white through the middle of it across the top.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO
Re: Yamaha SRX 400

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Yes to the kenny roberts colour scheme.

Whats the bike rules for the charity ride?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:08 pm

The yellow white black is USA Yamaha racing colours, it might be stretching it a bit on a SRX, I'd go for the silver frame.
The bar ends are probably standard Yamaha, Bike It do replacements in aluminium, you could go for the more modern looking ThunderCat style. I use dual compound Rethnal superbike grips but they're light grey so maybe not quite what you're after.
Have a look at the headlight bulb, make sure it's an H4 at least, you'll be riding some way in the dark.

A lot of parts are used on the SRX600 which is an official import and therefore have more spares

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Drunkn Munky wrote:Yes to the kenny roberts colour scheme.

Whats the bike rules for the charity ride?

Rules are that it must be a 400CC bike, must be no younger than 1991 and must cost less than £650.

Must admit I did break one of those rules lol

I only thought about the Kenny Roberts replica today and I know it's probably not in keeping but could always do it white with the red speedblocks instead. ;)

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:The yellow white black is USA Yamaha racing colours, it might be stretching it a bit on a SRX, I'd go for the silver frame.
The bar ends are probably standard Yamaha, Bike It do replacements in aluminium, you could go for the more modern looking ThunderCat style. I use dual compound Rethnal superbike grips but they're light grey so maybe not quite what you're after.
Have a look at the headlight bulb, make sure it's an H4 at least, you'll be riding some way in the dark.

A lot of parts are used on the SRX600 which is an official import and therefore have more spares

Good advice on the headlight as you're right, I will be travelling a fair bit in the dark. I ordered grips and bar ends from Fowlers so I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Mirrors will be ordered in a couple of weeks when I get paid.

The silver frame is tempting because it bugs the shit out of me that it isn't original but it's not a small job so I may as well just powder the swingarm to match the frame and then have some fun with the bodywork. Like the Kenny Roberts Scheme but the White and red is good too as is the Akai Rep theme.

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:58 am

Grips and bar ends have now arrived so they'll be put to one side for the time being. Mirrors are next on the list of things to buy.

Now the question is do I go for genuine Yamaha mirrors or go for some pattern replicas off ebay or my local bike shop.