Free Assessed Rides at Sarisbury Green (Fareham, Hampshire)

Nothing more to say really, if it's been organised it'll be here.
geodudeft
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Free Assessed Rides at Sarisbury Green (Fareham, Hampshire)

Post by geodudeft » Sat May 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Anyone done one of these? Anyone doing one tomorrow?

Free Assessed Rides at Sarisbury Green
`A great way to spend a Sunday morning out on your bike`.
Tea, Coffee and the famous `SAM Bacon Sandwiches” will be available.
Have you ever wondered what your skill level is?
Then why not find out by coming along to one of our Free Assessed Rides at Sarisbury Green at, 09.30 on the 1st Sunday of each month from March to October.
There is no need to book, you just turn up and sign on for a ride.Your ride will commence just after 10.00 and you should be back at Sarisbury by 11.15 or so for your debriefing session.
These rides are open to everyone and are lots of fun. You will be taken out on a 1 to 1 basis with one of our qualified Observers. After the ride, your Observer will go over the run with you and make suggestions on how you could improve your riding technique to help you become a smoother, safer rider. This is your opportunity to ask any questions that you might have about your run, about Advanced Riding or SAM itself. Any riding suggestions made will be covered on a short written report for you to take away.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
My YouTube Channel
South Coast Wheelie School YouTube Channel

geodudeft
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Free Assessed Rides at Sarisbury Green (Fareham, Hampshire)

Post by geodudeft » Sun May 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Guess not then :?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
My YouTube Channel

w00dzy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Aprilia RSVR Mille

Post by w00dzy » Mon May 11, 2009 12:51 am

Nope, sounds good..did you do it?

Ive heard that bikesafe is quite good? I still have lots to learn as I have only been riding for about 3 months..

geodudeft
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by geodudeft » Mon May 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Yeah it was really good. I did BikeSafe in Dorset was also really good. I highly recommend it.
My YouTube Channel

w00dzy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Aprilia RSVR Mille

Post by w00dzy » Mon May 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Good stuff, so how was your riding? any good tips?

geodudeft
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by geodudeft » Mon May 11, 2009 7:49 pm

The ride encompassed a mix of 30, 40, 50 and NSL roads although mostly the first three. The ride took around an hour and we stopped once to have a brief chat.

Over all, the ride was just about observation and not training. It was the same ethos as the Bike Safe programme.

My aim was to put all the knowledge accumulated over the years and more recently into practice and I focussed on the following;

Positioning – Making sure I was on the correct line when approaching and manoeuvring bends.

Speed – Making sure my speed was appropriate for the road and conditions.

Control – Trying not to use the brake unless absolutely necessary and planning ahead. (No wheelies or kneesliding :( )

I felt I had managed to accomplish my aims and as a result, ended up having a safe enjoyable ride.

Once we returned to the community centre, we debriefed and enjoyed a cuppa. He told me how the ride went and he completed a Ride Report which contained the following.

Control of machine on road - Excellent
Positioning - Very Good
Planning ahead - Very good
Rural roads - Very good
Main roads - Very good
Making progress - Very good
Motorcycle and Dress - Excellent
Summary - Very good ride

I didn’t realise how much the bike safe and research on forums like this had really helped.

I really enjoyed the free assessed ride with SAM and before I even went I had decided to join. I still have a lot to learn and I think between IAM and SAM I will get the opportunity to do so.

Joining was easy. They completed all the forms for me and I left with the customary key ring and information pack.

I highly recommend attending the free assessed rides, even if you are not thinking of joining IAM. Feel free to PM me with any questions around the assessment or SAM and I’ll endeavour to answer them.

Check out these for tips and stuff. Bike Presentations
My YouTube Channel