Smashed a piston in my V4!

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Swift577
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
Smashed a piston in my V4!

Post by Swift577 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Last summer I was pleased to get hold of an NC35, my first bike and I'm in love... but have managed to smash a conrod through a piston and can't get hold of a replacement...

I've tried to get an OEM piston everywhere (placed an order in Latvia, have trawled through Japanese websites and American spares, breakers yards etc etc). I am on a budget but don't want to give up on my little V4 (at only 11k miles!). I am trying to choose between boring out the cylinders and fitting new pistons - the JE Big bore kit, or buying one of 2 engines on ebay at the moment to cannibalise for a replacement piston.

Really not sure what to do so any help/advice would be appreciated!

Here's a pic of her, I'd like to get the race fairing swapped out for an original coloured tyga set eventually but I do think this is isn't a bad look to keep for the time being!

http://imgur.com/a/uVPvN

Thanks and hopefully I'll be able to stick around!

blknoel
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 NC30
Re: Smashed a piston in my V4!

Post by blknoel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:11 am

A proper rebuild would be costly and time consuming. Your best bet is swap in a problem free running engine.

As for re-boring and fitting big-bore JE piston kit (from TTS I presume?), gotta find a shop that knows what they are doing, these liners are notorious for being non-concentric between inner and outer diameters. Any mishap and they might cut right through the liner into the block. Also, JE pistons are about 10% heavier than standard NC35's, not something I'd fancy running at 14000rpm.

Just my 2c. Best of luck.

Swift577
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
Re: Smashed a piston in my V4!

Post by Swift577 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:18 am

Yea I think you're right, I had read the JE pistons are heavier and thought this would obvs put more stress on the crankshaft/journal bearings etc. Best option probably is get an engine I can drop in, at least I will have a lot of low mileage spares! All of this is a steep learning curve for me and I didn't think boring would be too risky but does make sense. Do appreciate the help! Cheers!