New member with an nc30 project

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: New member with an nc30 project

Post by Sean91 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 pm

my search for a new nose cone has landed me with this lot. the type 6 is gonna be the donor (the one with blue graphics) and the rest is surplus

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 pm

made a quick mock up this morning...

all the fairing is now at the body shop, and predicted to take around six weeks, which gives me more than enough time to finish sorting the bike out underneath

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 pm

this week shes undergone some surgery. i don't have access to a ramp, and I cant put the bike on stands without any yokes on it, so I just paid a garage to strip it for me...

wheels and yokes off

forks off and Looking fairly rough

the front disks; the (I'm guessing ceramic) coating has wore off the braking surface in places of the rh disk, making it prone to rust. that said I tried to tidy them up the best I can, seeing as they will be going back onto fresh wheels but I think I may give into the urge of buying new disks

I didnt want to spend more money on an un necessary fork rebuild so i decided to paint them myself to save time and dosh... sanded, prepped and primed:

not too happy with how these turned out but at least theyre an improvement on before

removing the race would of been problematic if I wanted to reuse it so I had the crown shotblasted and set about painting it myself along with the fork legs
the forks in paint with new bolts fitted

top yokes i had powdercoated then I sanded the badge with wet and dry

ive bought a BT092 for the rear, I'm sure people would tell me that two BT090s would be best but I wouldn't notice any difference in the handling and the 092 was £30 cheaper. it's having a matching tyre put on the front down at protyre

and the wheels have also been powdercoated...

sean

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 pm

the bike is back together, and since the last update the calipers have also been painted to match the forks. its now rolling on new BT92's front and rear and ive fitted a matching overflow pipe on the top rad since the original split.... shes almost done, and so far im very pleased :D

Weeble
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Weeble » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Bike looks great - it's a credit to you. You must be very pleased with it.

How fiddly was it to sand the Honda logo on the powdercoated top yoke. I'm going to have to try the same thing myself soon. Did you use a dremel? how did you mask the area?

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi mate, thanks and yes im really happy with it so far

The yoke was shot and powdercoated with the badge removed... I gave the badge a quick rub down with some wet and dry, then polished it. It'll just flick out with a small flat screw driver, and you can glue it back in afterwards

Sean

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Work on the honda had ground to a holt for a while, the bodywork has been at the paint shop for quite some time, and this project sat on the back burner while i got on with other things

but today i got around to getting some pictures together :D

heres a before picture of the bodywork for comparison

and after....
to be honest i did want the black bits to be painted blue like the original scheme, but they ended up black at the paintsprayer's error. but i actually much prefer the black so i reckon thats fine :D

ive had some new graphics printed

and i did some online shopping for other bits 8o)

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 pm

i took a punt on this sprocket carrier for 15 quid on ebay, because it looked like it had an (extremely dirty) renthal sprocket attached....

surprising what a bit of muc off and wd40 can do isnt it :lol:

danny400R
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:

Post by danny400R » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Just got my Type 8 this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration 8-)

cha0s242
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1990 NC30, 2015 Yam FJ-09

Post by cha0s242 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Keep up the good work ! I can't wait to start working on mine this winter. :)