My first rebuild (VFR NC24)

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
panelix
Settled in member
Reactions:
My first rebuild (VFR NC24)

Post by panelix » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:46 am

Hello, my name is Thanasis and this is my first rebuild so i'm gonna need some help from you guys. Subframe is in teribble condition (I'll get one from ebay), both front brake calipers are missing (I don't know where to get those), front rotors need replacement and I'm thinking to replace every bearing and seal too, just to be safe since it's easier now that everything is in pieces.

Questions:
1: Do I need to paint the frame? And if I do, should it be powder coated or just simply painted?
2: The exhaust collector's box seems in bad condition, could it be fixed? New one costs like 370 euro, which in my opinion is ridiculously expensive!

Some photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ol80ocbr1z1y ... elBsa?dl=0

Anything I forgot, any tips and help would be greatly appreciated

Gimly56
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR400RR
Re: My first rebuild (VFR NC24)

Post by Gimly56 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:58 am

You have a very ambitious project by the looks of it.

Anything is possible......as long as you have deep pockets!

If you want to paint the frame (entirely up to you of course) you can either Powder Coat it OR paint it yourself. Powder coat is baked on and is really durable. It doesn't chip or scratch easily which is why most people go for that option. On the down side, powder coat starts off in a 'powder' form and as a result can get into all mating surfaces where bearings are placed and tolerances are tight....so it can be a real nuisance.

If you look online you will find tonnes of people posting videos and pictures of painting their frames. Media blast it and then primer it and add your colour of choice!

That exhaust looks pretty knackered to me an I'd personally save up and buy a new one but you could have it welded up and repaired if you wanted????

Good luck!!

panelix
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: My first rebuild (VFR NC24)

Post by panelix » Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am

Hello, I'm currently sanding/polishing my frame. I did use a guide that I think I found on this site.

"For uncoated surfaces (polished frame, rearsets, exhaust hangers, levers, etc) Once dry, polish firstly with Autosol - keep buffing until the marks eventually rub out (it actually skims out imperfections in the metal, which is mixed with the dirt - that's what you see on your cloth). A lot of people add a bit, rub in until it goes dark grey and then immediately buff away. Don't do this. When the surface goes dark grey - keep buffing with the dirtying cloth until the shine comes through from under. Then buff away with a cleaner cloth. For a better, finer finish, use a bit of Brasso in the same way. Get a clean(er) cloth and polish again with no polish on the cloth - this gets rid of any excess. Repeat for Belgom Alu for even more bling - use a wax-on-wax-off technique."

The left part of the picture has been polished with autosol, brasso, belgom alu in that order. The right one has only been polished with autosol. All of them have been sanded up to 1500 grit before polishing. Why is the left part cloudy? Is it because belgom alu has wax in it? If that's the case then would you recommend still using it for protection or should I stick only with Autosol that gives a better finish? Is it something I did wrong? Should I buff it more? Is there any way I can remove wax? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
After frame has been polished I will start front end assembly. Will post pics of everything.