Tripping Around The World, Envy Me But Wish Me Luck

Where posts and threads can be moved to future safe keeping.
Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Tripping Around The World, Envy Me But Wish Me Luck

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:41 pm

Still in the rockies for another day i found some trails by the lake and also another of those wonderful empty roads with views to die for
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage.

Yes that is fresh snow!
2009 trip best country..... Columbia absoloutely breathtaking

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:25 pm

The biggest problem trying to show photos is picking the right ones, i've taken so many that it takes about half an hour just selecting the correct ones. I'm not a photographer and i'll understand people knocking what i'm attempting, i know people like gareth and martin who are into that as a job and hobby would love the chance to get to these places and you really cannot take a bad picture.

So picking up the trails in the rockies i got back to ground level and it began to watm up as i passed some lakes with the mountains in the background
ImageImage
A nothing night in a motel turned into another highlight when two triumph riders bought me dinner and beers in exchange for idle bike chat and world superbikes in salt lake city talk. Despite much trying i declined to go because i can see racing at home. The reason for free dinner again? Well despite my protests they just liked me hanging out with them and wanted me to put my money to better use.
top guys.

Back on the road and finally i was going to the place in the USA i was most looking forward too, the town of moab in south east utah. I got there early afternoon pitched up the tent and got some maps out to plan routes. 5 days in the campsite gave me the chance to explore with minimal luggage and a quick oil change and a pat on the back was all the bike needed. The sun set over the desert was gorgeous and for ten dollars my camp pitch was lovely. Tomorrow its into the canyons
ImageImage

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Up early and chomping at the bit i set off headed for an easy trail up to gemini bridges, the road starts okay and is gravel so a good intro to what is to come, i head up into the rocky formations annd the weather starts to heat up. By lunch time its 36c and the heavy riding is getting to me and i'm just making sure that i take in enough water and eat to keep going
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
On dropping into the bike shop the previous day they gave me a few stickers so i can boast where i have been too now!
ImageImage
the patriot as always

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Its hard to descrie the beauty of such a barren place but the rock formations were incredible from just a point of beauty and a geological point of view. The information centre had sold me a pass allowing me to ride these amazing national parks. the roads would get worse and then ease out, to say i now love off road riding is an undertsatement. The judgement of grip is a wonderful lesson to learn and will take me up a notch when i'm back ont the road bikes. But i will be investing in another better off rooader just for the fun.
So this is the white rim trail a gorgeous trail technical and with sheer drops too. It was the best and most challenging i've ever ridden either on or off.
ImageImage
ImageImage
I was finding it tough with the heat and regular stops were all you could do along with taking on plenty of water. jeeps were everywhere amd this one was running a 6litre v8 chevvy engine!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Just some amazing photos really, the day ended at woodys bar with an imprompt meting of the off road riders in the area and a bbq, great people and just a great cap on another wonderful day
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
As i said the roads were giving some amazing scenery
ImageImage
ImageImage
Some proof this is me!
ImageImage
Image.

aaron0288
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by aaron0288 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Excellent write up Graham. I think if there was only one place in N America I could visit, it would have to be Moab. Just look at that scenery! I bet the roads are motorcycling heaven?
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Just looking at these photos it dawns on how lucky i am to have been here and i hope that this place remains fairly well hidden from the usual grand canyon tourists and bus loads of people rudhing around like idiots snapping away on their cameras. This is an area for passionate people and i feel fortunate to be here. To say i dont want to leave is an understatement.
So another night brings yet another roasting day.
This time i'm in the comapny of several people whom i'd met. they offered to do a ride up through chicken corners along the colorado river and finish at a gooseneck where the river apexes on itself. This sounded good but i was a touch nervous at slowing down the group consisting of much better machinery including a cr500 and several ktm525 enduros.

But what a blast!! I managed to keep up and although once we got there i was suffering badly again the views kept me going. Hauling my runt through the sand was hard and i need better tires again for the off road sections, ploughing through sand and drifting around was cool but trying to keep the bike in my grasp was wrenching my arms out!! The group made this comment and were impresses. I was impresses with the bike. Despite the punishment it has been through these last few days it is running very strong and only the rear subframe has broken its bracings. I can live with that and will find a welder once ireach L.A to add extra supports.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:52 pm

A few more of the area
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Again please excuse the lack of writing but i feel somewhere like this demands no words just views.
I'm setting off today and am very sad to be leaving, first i thought i'd get up to date with this and sort a few emails back home because i've spent the last few weeks with nobody knowing where i was! I also need to do some laundry because as you might notice i'm wearing the same t-shirt in most of the pictures, fair to say that now is in need of a few cycles in a washing machine and much persil!

Its a shame coming back to reality almost, i had to figure out what day of the week it was today for the first time since i got here and also the date. Not much of a reality but enough to get going again! I know have a schedule to meet, i have two friends coming out on their summer holiday in L.A on the ninth so i'm heading west, the rough plan is to pick up the pacific highway and rumble down to santa monica for a mini holiday in the midst of all this. All i have to do is book us some accomodation. Surely i can manage that in nine days?? we'll see.

Stay safe guys back soon with more probably from the land of silicone, bikinis and rollerblades!!!! :grin:

mattUKNC
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fury, NC30, CRF250L and a C90!

Post by mattUKNC » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Fantastic photos there Graham, keep up the good work! :grin: :up: