Tripping Around The World, Envy Me But Wish Me Luck

Where posts and threads can be moved to future safe keeping.
Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Tripping Around The World, Envy Me But Wish Me Luck

Post by Graham » Wed May 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I come down again and the elevator has made my ears pop. No wonder then people are giving me smiles as i romp through the traffic laughing and singing loudly so i can hear myslef :oops: The roads are shocking all ripped up and bumpy but to an idiot like me on a dirt bike? well that'll be a playground then. I'm acting the fool every crest is a wheely ramp, down broadway and the light hits red. A group of schoolkids are watching me and giving the handlebar lift sign. What can i do but aim to please, light goes green i'm up in first into second and carry it down to the apollo theatre thinking i've just done the best mono of my life in manhatten NYC. As i think this what i dont realise is the two sp2s who come flying past doing exactly the same but showing off by going that extra hlaf mile compared to my hundred yards. Thanks for ruining my moment guys :tits:

Navigating by my map on the bars i rock up to central park and give myslef the big 'crap i'm outside central park!' Every moment is like it every day, turning my plans into visions is amazing. I lock the bik up and take off on foot, first around the tranquil park which is a wonder being so peaceful in this non stop place. Then i'm in the history museum because i love to just research and take in whatevers on offer to sharpen my senses.
back out into the sun again and a shrt metro ride to time square, tacky yes but it works here.

Then i carry on walking, past the ground zero site which is a shame its being built on again but everybody has different opinions so okay. Then i'm walking through little italy roasting in my bike jacket, thank goodness i'm wearing jeans and trainers today instead of my full kit.
Off through wall street check out the stock exchange and find out the exchange rate is rising.. hurrah!!
Then i sit and stare as i reach the end of the island and look out staring at the liberty statue, these are perfect moments and i spend an hour just sitting there looking and reflecting over the past few days.
ImageImage
Back on the bike and i dont even have to look back as i exit the city
2009 trip best country..... Columbia absoloutely breathtaking

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Tuesday is a new riding day! Load up and get out of new york across the staggering george washington bridge which is the scene used in so many films. Then i'm into new jersey. I'd long decided to follow the coast and stay off the highways and as i'm in no rush i can do it.
I pull onto the new jersey green state parkway road and follow it down past atlantic city, the bike is happy in its gentle cruise loaded up its just thrumming along being nothing amazing and thats why i love it, i cut west on a gravel track on the map and it changes the bike from road tourer to content dual sport still not becoming flustered. I arrive late afternoon in cape may, another of these delicate fishing towns with nice beaches. This time its aboard another ferry across the bay to the state of delaware and the promise of continous warm weather and sun. Sounds good. On the ferry i meet some harley riders who actually want to talk to me despite my choice of bike. They insist on getting me coffee and showing me there winnebagos that the partners are driving down with behind them.

It all sounds a tad ridiculous to me but theres three of them and they are alot bigger even than me so i smile and meet the families before returning to staring out over the deck and to my great delight i see dolphins in the surf. Sounds minor but to see them out on the sea amazes me its another one of those little memories to be tucked away.
I got one of those awesome sunset pictures too which has come out lovely, we arrived and the sea was so calm it could have been a pond. I rode down to the beach and right there was a campsite so tent up dinner of hotdogs and pasta on the stove and find a bar.

Today i went to walmart and wandered round like a fool mouth wide trying to comprehend so many choices! i mean you want cola, theres a whole aisle for it! :o
I went and got cash and even the sign was making me chuckle, i swear people i meet must think i'm a blithering idiot
Image.

So to know, i've spent the morning planning my next move, down the coast and then start inland with knoxville to meet more friends at the weekend. This may seem slow but after that i'll be putting in the miles and i'm in no hurry anyway. An objective is required to keep momentum though. So for know i'm sat on a bar stool looking at the beach typing this. perfect a bar with computers! Many may think i'm sounding stupid always going out to pubs etc.. but i'm not always drinking and being on my own i've figured its a way to meet people and prevent myself becoming immute :grin:

Next update will see me with any luck in hillbilly country finally getting some trail time as i aim for the west coast in four or five weeks. Stay safe all and see some when i'm back.

hope you read this and still think jealously :cunt: haha

cheers
graham

aaron0288
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by aaron0288 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Top Man, keep it up :up:
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead.

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Mate, just got back from 3000 miles in 8 days around europe in the astra soft top, and this is something else.
I took the liberty of making it a sticky as i feel this deserves a section of its own one day.
If there is anything i can do with the forum to help with posting etc etc then pm me mate.
Stay safe and remember you are doing what many of us dream about, enjoy it as even the bad times will be memorable in years to come looking back at this.
All the best graham
Insert Signature Here

mattUKNC
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fury, NC30, CRF250L and a C90!

Post by mattUKNC » Fri May 15, 2009 4:18 pm

I've always thought the East to West coast ride would have been nice. No real chance of that now though, maybe when I retire!! :grin:
Hope it all continues well Graham, ride safe. :up:

chrisja2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc29 trackbike

Post by chrisja2 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 pm

This post is like a real good book, you just cant wait for the next chapter. Makes you think "If i won the lottery, thats what id do!" Well maybe the wife and daughter might have a say on that bit lol.
Enjoy. :up:

simmo
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30 road & zxr400 race

Post by simmo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:46 pm

that looks like an absolutely flippin awsome road trip, looks like yours having a wicked time, enjoy the rest of your trip!!!!!!!!

cress87
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23 CBR400RR

Post by cress87 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:55 am

Excellent write up. :grin:

Keep it up and enjoy the rest of your trip. :up:

Beva46
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Beva46 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 am

Lucky git! All i can think of to say! lol
Great write up so far! lovin the pics of new york!
Cant wait to see the next bit lol!

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham » Thu May 21, 2009 3:31 am

Paul. Thanks mate, i didnt plan posting so many pictures but they speak many words. I'll keep it up and sort doing weekly updates to wet appetites.

I'm writing this in an appartment where somehow again i've blagged a free room for a few nights, free food and drink. I dont want to take the mickey so will do a write up in a few days.

But in the last week i've come in from the coast on a 23 mile bridge, ridden deals gap, rode the spine of the appalachian mountains and hit the deep south.............

p.s did you know that at the jack daniels distillery you cant have free samples because its a dry county with no liquor!!