xivlias "other" thread of multiple problems?

Where posts and threads can be moved to future safe keeping.
Trinirides
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 is all you need to know
Re: xivlias thread of multiple problems?

Post by Trinirides » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 pm

The jamming problem of the starter motor will just be dust and crap inside the unit, my friends CB500 had the same issue when she purchased it..

Very common on the Honda starter motors and im sure that the NC and CB have the same unit!!!!

Simply take the starter motor off the engine and undo the two bolts at the top, this will allow you to get inside and give it a good clean with some contact clearner.. The CB unit was filthy but cleaned up as new and has worked perfectly for the last 2 years, no more rocking to get it to work.. If your unsure do a search for CB500 starter motor and one of the CB sights will come up with some tech info..

20min job...
A wise man once said, Man who goes to bed with itchy bum hole wake's up with smelly finger

xivlia
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 749 D

Post by xivlia » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Triniriderz, ive done that. ive taken it all apart, inspected everything, checked all the magnetic pickups, and they are all in speck, it was clean inside, ive also used contact cleaner on the contacts. but, and its still the same. however, ever since checking the carbs the bike hasnt jammed yet.

mo haggs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2x nc35

Post by mo haggs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:08 pm

This is also your second starter is it not?
vic-vtrvfr wrote:they're like rocking horse poo with sprinkles of unicorn horn on top.

xivlia
Reactions:

Post by xivlia » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:02 pm

mo haggs wrote:This is also your second starter is it not?
the starter clutch? if thats the one you mean, then yes, ive also replaced that. my original one had broken plungers and springs, which is what i thought caused the jamming. when i replaced it with a good one, the jamming stopped for a few weeks. then it came back. and i havent checked the starter clutch since. but if thats the case, then why is my starter clutch keep on braking?

mo haggs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mo haggs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 pm

xivlia wrote:
mo haggs wrote:This is also your second starter is it not?
the starter clutch? if thats the one you mean, then yes, ive also replaced that. my original one had broken plungers and springs, which is what i thought caused the jamming. when i replaced it with a good one, the jamming stopped for a few weeks. then it came back. and i havent checked the starter clutch since. but if thats the case, then why is my starter clutch keep on braking?
No i ment starter motor. Did you not get a second one of geoff after stripping and cleaning the original.
I seem to remember you testing one of them straight of a battery.

I know you changed the starter clutch - i gave it to you.

Starter clutch and motor having been changed - the problem still persists - then its clearly not either of those parts that are the cause of the jamming.

If these two parts keep getting damaged then considder it a side affect of some other problem.
vic-vtrvfr wrote:they're like rocking horse poo with sprinkles of unicorn horn on top.

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R

Post by speedy231278 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:19 pm

mo haggs wrote:If these two parts keep getting damaged then considder it a side affect of some other problem.
Like filling the crankcases with petrol?

mo haggs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mo haggs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:38 pm

speedy231278 wrote:
mo haggs wrote:If these two parts keep getting damaged then considder it a side affect of some other problem.
Like filling the crankcases with petrol?
:sshh:

xivlia
Reactions:

Post by xivlia » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 pm

well no i didnt get another starter motor. i just took apart the one i currently had. i cleaned it, checked everything, an tested it right off the battery and it deems to perform pretty well, no jamming. and after seeing how it was working without a fault, i was happy with it so i didnt buy another one. but someone mentioned it might be working fine like that but once load is applied it might bugger up. so i was planning on buying a new motor but they are too expensive :\.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Starter motors are simple enough and usually reliable only thing that wears is the brushes. Are you sure that the gear train between the starting motor and the starter clutch does not have damaged or missing teeth?

xivlia
Reactions:

Post by xivlia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 am

i am 100% sure there are no missing teeth.