NGneer's "Project - spare bits build"

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
Re: NGneer's "Project Budget build"

Post by NGneer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:15 pm

craigs23 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 am
Nice to see another '30 getting a bit of TLC :)

If you get the chance, could you take some more shots of how the rubber flappy thing sits at the front of the bike? (i.e., how close it is to the frame spars, how it sits under the headstock.)

My bike's got an aftermarket top rad, and I'm pretty sure I've never been able to position it properly :/
Craig - hope these help:

Not easy to see from the pictures and I couldn't get a better angle but the ridge down the top of the plastic bit (that sits over the top pf the top rad) holds the plastic bit away from the frame by about 1". I assume Mr Honda had worked out this was enough to provide enough air for the intake but in a smoothed out manner. All I can say is it works and they run like a bag of spanners without one ;)

P.S. - this bike is new to me but I believe these are also aftermarket replacement rads fitted.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Advice needed from the wider collective knowledge please.

The latest project came with EBC discs fitted and whilst I have heard of "Floating discs" I have never had a set that "float" this much!!!

https://youtu.be/R7h1kq_1n6s

Is this just an EBC thing or are these f****d ?

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23s, 29, 30s, MC16

Post by Yakama » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm

The set I have have nowhere near as much movement as that

craigs23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Quite a few

Post by craigs23 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Many thanks for the pics - great help and managed to get my bike running a little better by positioning my rubber flappy thing in its more correct position, ahem.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Yakama wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm
The set I have have nowhere near as much movement as that
Cheers Liam - that's what I thought. Sods law I recently sold x2 'good' spare sets of NC30 discs I had in the garage :(
Oh well - I guess I might have to drop Rick a line for a set of Arashi's

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:35 pm

craigs23 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm
Many thanks for the pics - great help and managed to get my bike running a little better by positioning my rubber flappy thing in its more correct position, ahem.
Glad it helped :up:

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: NGneer's "Project - spare bits build"

Post by NGneer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 pm

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that I have changed the name of this build thread to "Project - spare parts build" as oppose to its original title of "Project budget build". This was because having looked at some of the "spare" bits I have laying around which will be incorporated I realised it would look a little ....arrogant to try and call it a "budget build" when it includes Dymags, Ganador twin stack exhaust, new rads etc and actually a spare bits project is more honest about what it is.

Anyway my son Jake is visiting this week (some of you will have met him at Cadwell) and amongst playing out on the other two bikes and drinking excessive amounts of German beer, we also found time to wheel the project bike into the garage and enjoy a bit of spanner time.

Front end striped out:

Discovered some suspect looking electrical work that will need addressing in due course...

Under tray removed for cleaning...

As was the sub frame..

early model rear shock removed, and swing arm and shock area cleaned up...

By the end of the day we were down to the frame , engine and swing arm and had swapped over the suspension linkage to an RVF one for the 17" rear wheel....whichever one I end up using.

Not actually looking at stripping this one down any farther if I don't have to so hoping to build up from this point. We are planning a ride out tomorrow on the other two bikes through the Eiffel national park and down to the Nürburgring (just watching) weather permitting, but might get back in the garage on Wednesday :-)

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:45 am

We had another day in the garage yesterday and made some good progress with the project. :grin:

With this much access (particularly at the rear) I decided it was a good time to prep thing ready to fit the new exhaust. Having removed the old OEM cut system this combination is what I discovered had been holding the front headers on… :?
So two normal studs, a random bolt with a plain shank and an 8mm Allan bolt? Obviously at some point the owner had an issue with a stud and has oversized and tapped the hole.
I had x4 new studs in my stash and a few old ones, as well as the proper nuts, in my box of odds and sods. Out they all came and had the threads refreshed with taps and dies so I could pick the best ones to re-use.
Having done that I found myself a length of 8mm bar and made an 8mm stud to fit the oversize hole. When fitting the 8mm stud it became apparent that when the previous person had drilled the hole out, they hadn’t got it quite straight so the two studs were far from parallel. This made subsequent fitting of the exhausts particularly challenging, but with added swearing we got there in the end. Speaking of exhausts, I had a couple sat on the shelf to choose from. I have a Yamamoto half system and a twin stack full system. Again I picked them up years ago and got help from RCV (forum member) restoring them to tip top condition. :drool:
This was the twin stack system when I picked it up ages ago.
That picture is actually quite flattering as there was actually a fair bit of damage to the cans and sleeves. I spent a while trying to find some replacement Kevlar sleeves to maintain the original look, or even to find some new Ganador exhaust badges but no luck. In the end I decided to just go with good old carbon fibre instead and having done that and applied a bit of Autosol to the rest of the system…..it has sat in a couple of boxes, until now.
Having replaced or at least refreshed all the studs, and despite the slightly wonky 8mm stud, the front pipes were fitted…..
…and then the rears…
Having got the pipes on we then decided to fit the rear shock absorber. The bike came with an early model rear shock and I had the late model shock from one of my other bikes in the garage. This was only removed from my first bike when I got my Nitron and again from my second bike when I fitted an overhauled/uprated OEM shock to that. As such it is still a good shock and in the principle of trying to use garage spare wherever possible, that was dug out and fitted.
We then moved onto stripping out the rear hub to give it all a good once over.
It was all actually in pretty good condition despite the rear disc being fitted the wrong way around, as was the rear sprocket, and of course the compulsory pile of crap in the swing arm.
As always I have a few spare bits in the garage ….
…so the best bits were selected and fitted.
With the rear end done (for now) we turned our attention to the front end. Purely for the bling factor and because it has been sat looking at me from my shelf, I removed the fairly tidy top yolk from the bike (which had obviously been polished at some point) and replaced it with the very shiny one that came of my last build.
Whilst swapping the ignition barrel over I discovered that it was held in by these two very random bolts.
Thankfully I had a couple of nice new 8mm Allan bolts laying around, so they were put to good use.
Mind you I did notice some more rather worrying signs that there may be a few electrical gremlins to sort out further down the line..
That aside, my spare forks (complete with Rick Oliver springs etc) and a set of lightweight clip-ons were fitted as we started to rebuild the front end

That was if for the day. Jakes last day here today and he has said he would like to hear it run with the twin stack on if possible. That will need rads fitting and various other bits so we will have to see how we get on. Fingers crossed.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Looking forward to this.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:53 pm

When asked what he wanted to do for his last day out here, my son said “a days spannering to try and get the bike together”. His choice so we were back into the garage.

Whilst they were not in bad condition….
the radiators were swapped out for a fresh set of the Winner Racing rads I had.
This also gave me the chance to use the stainless fan mount I have.
I think I had planned to put this on the Honda Britain build but ended up going for the powder coat black mount on that one instead. Anyway fan assembly removed, refreshed a bit, fitted to the stainless mount and fitted to the new radiator.
….and both fresh radiators fitted to the bike.
At the same time we also fitted a set of wheels to the bike just so it was a rolling chassis again and we could move it around if needed.

About this point I had to catch myself a little bit as I realised my OCD was kicking gin and I had already started my “powder coating pile” and that was never meant to be the route I was going down with this bike. A bit more on that theme later, but for now the subframe was retrieved from said powder coating pile and refitted as was a cleaned up under tray. With these back on we could refit the battery, coils, wiring loom, ecu, reg rec etc and also fit the hanger and the exhaust end cans.
The airbox and filter were re-fitted and it was time to slave in my remote fuel tank and see if it was a runner. It was – and sounded very nice indeed :grin: .

I thought that was the target for the day but we still had a few hours and Jake wanted to keep going so we started to dig out some potential bodywork for it. Ages ago I had picked up a set of fibreglass fairings for the bike which (though test fitted) have never actually seen any active use. It was an odd mix as it was a road nose cone but a race seat unit and back then I decided to modify the seat unit to take a standard rear light. This meant I could (if I wanted to) use these fairings on the road at some point, plus I have no problem with someone behind me on the track knowing when I am on the brakes. A niffty bit of dremel work and the OEM lights fitted a treat. Whilst having the standard rear light set that came with the bike as an option to fit, I also had a fancy set I had intended to put on the Honda Britain build. Due to the shape of the seat unit on the Honda Britain bike the light unit it came with had been significantly modified to fit and as such I decided to continue using that one leaving my pimped LED rear light set spare. Spare no longer as these were then fitted.
Side lights….
….and brake lights
Apart from being dirty after years of kicking around in garages and lofts, the rest of the fairings are in good knick and are even already fitted with ¼ turn fasteners. The only omission was a mesh on the V piece. Adopting the same process as for the other bike, I knocked up a new mesh and fixings. Getting quite good at this now… ;)
Digging around the boxes in the garage I found a Hyperpro steering damper I had forgotten about, so it seemed rude not to bolt that on as well whilst we were at it. :whistle:
A spare tank was dug out, fitted with a fuel tap, filler cap and was fitted to the bike along with the clocks and lights. The rest of the fairings were fitted and whilst brakes still need sorting (sat on the bench and top of the “to do list” and the rear sets need re-fitting, we actually had a running and dressed bike by the time we had to put the toys away and head for the airport.