NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

Post by NGneer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Well having finally been reunited with my bikes (see background story here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53959) it was time to make the best of the space I had available and start spannering.

There are worse places to start a project than two fairly tidy bikes including one running which has actually just passed the local equivalent of the MOT.

Having got married 4 years ago, during my enforced separation from the bikes, I have subsequently discovered that spending ALL your spare time in the workshop, like I used to, is not conducive to a happy Mrs and homelife. As such I have decided to shelve my planned 3rd bike build. Instead I am going to put the best bits from my Number 1 Rothmans onto my Number two bike (subsequently to be just know as “The Rothmans”). This will give me a very tidy road bike, which could also be used for a track day or two if I get the chance (with non OEM fairings fitted). Having sorted out the “in use” bike I can then go to town on the other bike incorporating all the trick bits I have collected over the past few years.

So although The Rothmans has recently passed the German TÜV (MOT) it still needed some general attention before it was tucked up for the winter. I knew the rear wheel was seized on, but thankfully the tyre was in just good enough condition to pass the TÜV so I could sort it out slow time after the inspection. Having tried all the usual stuff (kicking, swearing, big hammer and wood etc) the rear wheel was not shifting at all. As such the only way to do it that I could think of was to remove the rear brake calliper and the hub nut from the other side, then remove the wheel and spindle as a single item. This was where I discovered how bloody tight the hub nut was. One quick Amazon order and a ¾ drive breaker bar was sourced, cos that will sort the bugger out …..wont it?

48 Hrs later and following the postman delivering my new acquisition, my weapons of choice for this evening were a meaty breaker bar, big sockets, FBH and a coffee.

Having tried to undo the hub nut with the bike in gear – no joy as it just kept turning the engine no matter what gear it was in. Onto plan B, bike in gear, get the Mrs to ‘stand’ on the back brake. Pulling hard enough to compress the rear suspension and start lifting the back of the bike (which the Mrs is still on!) but no joy in shifting the sodding nut.

Eventually I had to the wheel against the swing arm using a block of wood, axel stand and a couple of bricks then still ended up STOOD on the breaker bar before the bloody thing finally gave in and came loose!

Having got the hub nut off, the wheel including spindle came out easily.
I then popped this on the bench on a couple of bricks and pieces of wood (to prevent any damage to the rim) let a load of penetrating oil soak in as best I could before sorting out some bits to use as an appropriate size drift.

A bit of attention with a FBH and hey presto, out came the spindle.

Probably due to the bikes last real usage being in Bavaria and thanks to all the salt on the roads there, the thing was well and truly corroded. Not surprising the wheel wouldn’t come off really.

I have a fully prepped (pristine) swing arm assembly, including spindle, ready to fit to the project bike, so I will see what the spindle is like that is currently fitted to the other bike and refit the best one to the Rothmans bike. Just in case it is this one, I gave it a good clean up so it is a viable option to use.

Finished off this evening by stripping out the rest of the hub assembly ready for a quick clean up, along with the swing arm area on the bike before refitting the various bits.

ImageHopefully get all this back together tomorrow, transfer the OEM fairings from the other bike so this one is then ready to plug into the Optimate and tuck up for the winter, just needing some fresh fuel come the first opportune day.

Then onto the main project ☺
:rocks:
Last edited by NGneer on Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

Post by NGneer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Swing arm and all the associated bits given a good clean and reassembled ready to receive the fairings etc from the (previous) No1 bike. That’s the MOT’d road ready bike in the background and the donor (project) bike at the front.

And a couple of hours later…I get to here. Doesn’t look any different but they are actually the other way around now with all the bits changed over. (Anyone spot the subtle difference?).

Anyway that is the working bike sorted, plugged into the Optimate and tucked away awaiting better weather.

Onto the main project ☺
Last edited by NGneer on Fri May 18, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Although this bike had not been subject to the salty roads of Bavaria, I has actually been, reluctantly, laid up and not turned a wheel for virtually 8 years.

As such it was not a surprise when the rear wheel was somewhat reluctant to come off. Having solved this problem on the other bike I just set about doing the same again (i.e. remove hub nut, remove wheel and spindle together etc). Well despite the best combined efforts of the Mrs and I, even standing on the end of my newly acquired chunky breaker bar, the hub nut refused to move!

Realising it was going to need something even more ‘industrial’ than 90Kgs of spanner monkey hanging on the end of a breaker bar, I loaded the bike back onto the trailer and took it for a trip to work.

The plan was to use the windy impact driver until I discovered the compressor was being serviced (Bugger!). Thankfully someone mentioned there was an electric one in one of the other sections. I was sceptical if an electrical one would do the job, but had nothing to loose. Many thanks to the Bundeswehrs’ finest for accommodating me, getting there very substantial impact driver out, and after some quite sustained battering, getting the nut to finally give up and spin off.

Back home having now removed the hub nut, after only a couple of taps on the hub end of the spindle, the rear wheel only went and fell of the other side, after all!!! Never mind, I would have had to sort the hub nut out at some point.

Just had a good, and fairly productive evening starting the strip down. Currently at the stage of taking LOTS of photos hoping this will all go back together one day ☺

One of the main issues I have is that it would appear the mice in the area I had the bikes stored developed a taste for bike bits at some point. Most notably the little b******s appear to have had a good nibble on cable looms, seats, clock surrounds, bar grips etc.

Whilst a bit annoying, nothing too traumatic so far and as virtually all of these bits will be getting replaced it shouldn’t affect the build too much.
Last edited by NGneer on Fri May 18, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 pm

The little bastards.

I'm looking forward to this one so keep the momentum going !
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 pm

royster81 wrote:The little bastards.

I'm looking forward to this one so keep the momentum going !
Hi Rhory - glad to see you are still lurking around here. I hope you and the rest of the Norn-Iron boys are all keeping well bighug

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Well a couple of productive evenings and I have made pretty good headway.

Finally by the end of play this evening I have no space left on my bench and appear to have reduced my bike to a very big Air-fix kit

Image Image

Next up is onto the sorting out, tidying up phase and then engine strip and LOTS and LOTS of cleaning.
Last edited by NGneer on Fri May 18, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TURK122
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TURK122 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Fast work well done and keep the updates coming.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Cheers Turk, heres the latest. ;)

Well the garage got a good sorting out so I had space to work again. Many parts went onto the “spare” bits pile with the remainder going on the “To clean up and re-use” pile. Having done that I thought it was time to clean up the frame.

A mixture of Cillit bang, brake cleaner and elbow grease got the frame from the above, via this:

to this:

At least that is ready now for when the real rebuilding starts.

Having sorted the frame out it was onto the engine. The engine is also getting a full pull through with a few extras as part of the rebuild. I have stripped the engine fully once before and learnt that very methodical working was the secret back then. Therefore, the bench was tidied and prepped ready to lay things out in order, which makes putting it back together (hopefully) easier.

About this time that I had the dawning realization that in my haste to get stripping, I hadn’t actually drained the oil from the engine whilst it was still in the bike – Dohhh! Engine back onto the floor and precariously balanced on axel stands to enable the oil to be drained.
Oil drained and engine back onto the bench for the second time. I started stripping the front sprocket cover off not expecting to be able to actually get the sprocket bolt out. I actually have an impact driver on my Christmas list for just this job as I know from experience this can be the only way to shift them. To my great joy (but somewhat worryingly) I found the bolt ‘finger’ tight only and it just came straight off!

This is the second ‘worrying’ thing I have found so far, as I discovered there was no nut on one side of the suspension linkage either.

Whilst a bit worrying, it did at least mean I could really start to crack on with the engine strip down.

End of play this evening and I got as far as getting the rear cylinder heads off. See what chance I get to progress over the weekend.

Last edited by NGneer on Fri May 18, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Well another couple of productive evenings in the garage and the engine is well and truly apart now.

Not too bad a strip down but I do have a couple of sheared bolts I now need to deal with.

Image Image

Thankfully they have sheared flat so shouldn’t be too bad to sort out and the replacement bolts are already on order from CMS along with a shitload of new gaskets, o-rings etc.

Time for another round of cleaning, sorting and then onto the more fun stuff .
Last edited by NGneer on Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TURK122
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TURK122 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Try left hand drill bits to remove the snapped bolts mate. Always worked for me.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk