NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
peterm
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

Post by peterm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm

So sorry to hear of the set back, i've had problems with My Hermes as well like dumping parcels no where near my house, damaged, wet and generally poor condition!

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the pathetic courier company, my hermes. Must have dropped them from a hell of a height the tos@ers.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 am

Quality customer service from my "My Hermes". :down: :down: :down:
Other courier services are available and to be honest I think ANY other courier service would be recommended above these arseholes.

Well, as annoying as it is, that is that chapter closed.

I am heading back to the UK tomorrow for a quick visit amongst which I will be retrieving my 1956 AJS as well as collecting a stash of goodies from both Graeme France and Rick Oliver. So it should be back on with the project build once I get back.

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 am

NGneer wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:00 am
So the coils were given a good clean, all the connecters polished up and the new HT leads fitted.Image
What? No trick "coil-on-plug" conversion? I'm shocked...

I've seen it done on RC36s and RC46s, eliminating the clunky (4x) separate coils in the process of just looking more up-to-date, but I don't know about the NC30/35. Should work?

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:23 am

JZH wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 am
What? No trick "coil-on-plug" conversion? I'm shocked...
:? To be honest - I never even thought about it. As long as these coils keep sending enough electric magic to the plugs to make the petrol go BOOM!...I will be happy ;)

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 am

Well having experienced the level of professionalism and customer care from “My Hermes”, I had to switch to “Plan B”. Amongst my stash of bits and bobs was a complete spare engine so that was dug out and dusted off. Whilst it was a “good” engine when it was acquired, that was a fair while ago and as it is always much easier to check the valve clearances whilst the engine is on the bench, off came the covers and out came the feeler gauges.

Thankfully they were all pretty good and the few that were out of tolerance were able to be sorted out by moving around and swapping with those from my now dead engine.

The clutch cover on this engine had obviously seen the tarmac at some point in its life, so I decided to swap that one for the one of the other engine which, while not perfect, was just cosmetically more appealing.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:24 am

Well last weekend saw us make a brief trip back to the UK to visit family and also so I could pick up some bits that were waiting for me from Graeme France and Rick Oliver, amongst others.

New rubber on both my project bike wheels and the OEM ones for the Rothmans (ready for Cadwell in June :twisted: ), HRC mapped Ignitech ECU, fancy carbs, new Arashi discs, Rick O GSXR Generator housing, Samsco hoses and clips, new throttle cables etc etc. Ignore the straight 30 oil, that’s for the old bike that came back with me this time.

We got back on Monday and I had enough sense to book an extra day off work on the Tuesday. With the Mrs back in work I got to spend a full day in the garage for the first time in ages to getting things moving forward again. I decided that the first thing to do was to turn the current “frame” into a rolling chassis. If nothing else at least that would mean I could move it out and give the garage a much needed clean/tidy.

New discs fitted to the wheels, fitted to the forks and all bolts torqued and wire locked.

Rear hub assembly all lubed up and rear wheel fitted.

Hub nut and wheel nut still need final torque loading as I had nothing to pull against, so that will have to wait until the brakes are working, but at least I now had a rolling chassis.

Having taken the bike outside and given the garage a much needed tidy up and re-organise, it was time to take it back in and refit the engine. This is not the easiest job by yourself but with some blankets and pieces of wood you can get the engine into a position where you can get the long rear mounting bolt through. Once you have that done you can pivot the engine up and hold it in place with one of the other mounting bolts before fitting all the others. Note: I thought I had been clever refitting all the cooling components (water pump, thermostat etc) whilst the engine was on the bench, only to find the thermostat gets in the way when trying to fit the engine. Dohh! :oops: Thermostat off, engine in and thermostat refitted.

I got as far as fitting the GSXR flywheel/generator and Ricks very nice bespoke cover :drool: , many of the various brackets that had come of and some of the new Samsco hoses before time ran out on me for the day.

Back on track and making good progress again :grin: :peace:

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Winning. Tasty moto, as always
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

mruehl34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mruehl34 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Nice wheels!!

Michael

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Very nice