NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: NGneers NC30 build thread (8 years + in the making)

Post by bikemonkey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Shiny stuff on a balcony. Good job magpies aren't that strong :up:

It's going to make my track NC look a dog at Cadwell in June right?

So yeah..... deadline there for ya!

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello Monkey mate, hope your keeping well.

I love a challenge .... but don't think there is much chance of the project bike being ready for next summer ;)

Guess I will just have to put the track clothes on the Rothmans and bring that on instead.
Really hope it comes together as a good 400GB outing, would be great to catch up with everyone again :pray:

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am

Well either I have been a very good boy this year, or the fat fella in the red suit hasn’t come across any of the incriminating evidence on me that must be out there somewhere on the web. Either way Christmas was good and I am now also armed with a new stool for my workshop, Headstock stand (Inc 27mm adapter) magnetic bits tray, Bosch professional power tools and Bavarian Whiskey……what could possibly go wrong ;) ???

First full day back home after visiting the outlaws so I made a point of spending a few hours in the workshop….eerrm just in order to try out my new stuff. I can’t do much more with the engine at the moment as various bits are away getting ‘sorted’ so I figured I could at least get some sort of framework back together which would mean I can at least potter on whilst awaiting the engine bits. Well we were down to a bare frame so this was the starting point:

I was going to refit the forks, but I don’t have a good bearing driver to fit the lower inner race and as I have taper roller bearings going in, these need to be done properly. As such I will have to wait until next week when I get back to work and take the yoke with me and pop into the workshops to use their equipment. Without the option of the forks to fit, it was going to have to be the swing arm and rear suspension.

Original VFR dog bone and linkage, and the new shiny RVF items that are going to be replacing it (with new bushes, seal etc)….

Image Image

…and a full set of new nuts and bolts to finish it off:

First real difficult decision time. Amongst all the shiny goodies I have picked up over the years was a used (but still very tidy) Öhlins rear shock for the NC30. This would be a no brainer if I was building the ‘third’ bike I had thought about as I would just fit it. However this bike was already fitted with a top end Nitron shock that was built to “my” personal requirements. It was a few years ago when I picked up the Öhlins and I seem to recall it was set up pretty close to my weight etc – but I couldn’t swear to it.

So dilemma time; do I go with the Öhlins with the unknown settings, refit the Nitron, or get the Öhlins serviced and re-set to my requirements, Hmmmm :?

In the end I decided to go with the ‘known’ good Nitron, which I know works great. If I decide I have too much money in the future I can always get the Öhlins serviced / set up for me and then fit it at a later date….or maybe just stick with the Nitron and sell the Öhlins.

Image Image

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Amongst the stuff I have to sort out on this build/re-build is the damage caused by mice chewing on the bike whilst it was in storage. Thankfully the damage, whilst annoying, was not too serious. The wires that were gnawed are all being checked and re –shrink wrapped, the grips have been replaced with some nice new Renthals, I have a new clock foam surround to fit so that only left the seats to sort out.

Both bikes had been similarly chewed on and the seats looked like this when I got them out of storage: :(

I got in touch with an Ed Crowther, an old mucker of mine from Lincoln who now has his own business doing motorcycle seat re-upholstery (http://edblade.simpl.com) who took my tired chewed old seats and turned them into these: :shock:

Image Image

Yes Ed is an old mate of mine, but trust me the photos don’t really do them justice and they are an absolute top job. If you need anything recovering I would recommend Ed. He will do anything from a simple recover like mine through to a fully pimped/embroidered thing to suit your needs, very reasonable and fast turn around.

Refitted one to the running bike and must say, I think it looks the dog danglies :grin:

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Lovely stuff.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I had another nice result this week. You may remember from an earlier post that I managed to shear x2 bolts in the front cylinder head as I was dismantling it. :(

I had waited until after Christmas until I had my new drill before attempting to drill the remaining part of the bolts and “Easy-Out” them. I had also discovered the thread in the engine mounting bolt hole on the L/H side of the cylinder head was stripped. I took the head into work to my colleagues in the workshops to see if they could possibly stick a Helicoil or something like that in there. Whilst there they looked at the sheared bolts and said they could do those as well. Whilst I would happily back myself with my hand drill and my easy-outs…..I was happy to defer to their multi million pound CNC laser guided drill rig.

Hey presto – both sheared bolts drilled and removed. :grin:

Image Image

Whilst they had Heliciols and threaded inserts, they didn’t have anything in Honda’s favoured fine threads. I had the option of over sizing the hole and going up to the next standard size thread/bolt, or getting them to fill the hole, re drill it and then sourcing a 10mm x 1.25 tap to bring it back to original. As I was not in a rush for the head (other engine bits still away being fettled) I decided to see if I could track down the required tap. One quick trip to the local tool shop and a whole 20 euros later and I had the required tap so the guys in the workshop filled, drilled and re-tapped the hole back to original. :grin:

All that for the princely sum of…one case of Bitburger. ;)

Heading of for a week on the piste in Austria tomorrow with work but having managed to work out what “Glass blasting and powder coating” was in German I have also just dropped of a pile of stuff to get done so hopefully I can crack on when I get back.

Image Image

Hopefully they understood my request for all threaded elements to be masked off before powder coating along with the inside of the clip-ons. I guess time will tell. :pray:

peterm
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by peterm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

Great thread, Cant wait to get into mine got so many similar ideas that i will now be doing after seeing the results !

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Well having endured a week of skiing and intensive drinking in Sölden I managed to come home with a stinking cold, so didn’t get much done last week. However, I did tinker on with my front master cylinder rebuilding it with new internals.
I was actually planning to transfer some of the stuff over from my old (now spare) master cylinder, but when I tried to remove them, it became clear that I would break them trying to get them out, so decided they can stay put, and possibly be used on something else in the future, and I would just order some new bits instead.
These rocked up a few days later and I was able to finish of the master cylinder rebuild.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Whilst waiting for the bits that were getting powder coated, I decided I could at least give the under tray and components a full clean up so it was ready to refit when the sub-frame came back. I started by removing the rear indicators and giving them a proper clean up.

Also realised how long it has been since I pulled it through this much. Last time I did…the forum was still 400GreyBike.co.uk

Moving on to the under tray itself. This was given a damn good scrub and then brought back to a nice shiny black finish with some Sonex Black Restorer. Before:
…and after…
I also replaced the heat shield around the battery box and the old rusty rivets holding the little rubber flap on.

Having made it through the week nursing my man flu, this morning fetched the bonus of collecting my stuff from the powder coater. Everybody likes a good powder coat day, especially when the guy has done a good job and then ‘drops’ the quoted prices when you go to collect!
This gave me back lots of the bits I have been waiting on and as such I have had a very industrious afternoon. Firstly I finished of rebuilding my fan assembly. I had already stripped, cleaned and repainted the motor, cleaned up the fan itself and tidied up the cables, but now I could bolt it into its newly powder coated frame.
Before:
..Half way through…
…and finaly back in the frame.

After the fan assembly I turned to the side stand. Again a few before and after pics. Before:
..and after

I also got back the clip on’s, bars, as well as the lights and clock brackets so could start rebuilding the front end.
This meant I got to fit another of the “small projects” I had built whilst living in Germany last time. I had first seen it done by another forum member (Jamboy I think) so decided to give it a go. I did actually do a full write up with photos ready for when I finally got to do this build thread, but sadly all the pictures were lost in the Photobucket fiasco and I don’t have any of them backed up. Effectively I split the lights and replaced the side lights with a set of BMW style led ‘Angel eyes’ which you can just see through the lenses.

Finally I got around to refitting the freshly powder coated sub frame and under tray before wrapping it up for today.
Coming along nicely at the moment

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 pm

You are the new Timon. Love this thread.