My 1st NC23 in NZ

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Gimly56
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR400RR
Re: My 1st NC23 in NZ

Post by Gimly56 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:32 am

It will NOT be fine!

Those headlight bracket/fairing stays from eBay are RUBBISH!!!

For starters you can't reach the park light bulbs without taking the entire headlight off....

I went to fit the bracket to the frame and it's far too narrow in the neck!!! Like 10mm off even??!!

I tried to flare the neck of the bracket out but it is made of junk and eventually after several attempts to widen it to fit the metal gave out and cracked. Bollocks.

So hacked off right now. Have complained to the seller and will now continue with my search for a decent 2nd hand OEM part.

Just wanted to post this so everyone else is aware how crap that Chinese aftermarket piece is.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 pm

What the hell did they take the measurements from to get it that far out.
Is it possible to buy from overseas or does the postage kill that idea?

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 am

cbr400rrn wrote:What the hell did they take the measurements from to get it that far out.
Is it possible to buy from overseas or does the postage kill that idea?
Shonky manufacturing huh?! I complained via eBay and the seller gave me a false email address to write to. Wicked.

My old OEM one is a write-off so I can't use it.....BUT I know a welder so am going to see if he can graft the neck of the OEM one on to this botch job and make 1 good item!

I cant be bothered waiting for more overseas shipping....

NZeeeee11
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NZeeeee11 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am

Hi,

Contact Ebay, and I would recommend to at least try get a partial refund. Unless it was dirt cheap...I'm in NZ aswell and would hate to be ripped off. Goodluck, and if anything and you can wait a few weeks, I might have a spare (I bought maestros bikes....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:42 am

I purchased some bits off Maestro I think? Includingba headlight bracket but it was bent to buggery and no good.

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am

Chinese fairings arrived a few days ago. Pretty excited to finally put some lipstick on this Pig!!!

dunkenb
Reactions:
Bike owned: Cbr400rr nc29 type8 NSR250

Post by dunkenb » Sat May 20, 2017 4:42 pm

:grin:

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 am

A mixed bag today....

Wrestled the nose cone on but discovered the new fairings didn't come with the black headlight surrounds. Not to worry...I'll use the ones off my old fairings....damn it! They're cracked. Add that to my 'parts still required' list.

Bolt the side fairing brackets onto the frame. Try to fit an upper side fairing and conclude that only the centre hole is for an M6 bolt. The other two holes in the bracket are for a self tapping thread perhaps?? Scratch head....try a few different bolts and screws with no success.....decide to flag putting those uppers on for now and move to tail section.

Tail section: 1st notice that the small rear sections that go over the tail lights from the chinese fairings are moulded into 1 piece. Large rear tail sections don't line up with the holes....do some drilling and some more drilling and get them to fit. None of the pre drilled holes line up and the overall finish of the smaller tail section is horrible. Damn.

Drink some beer...light the fire.....

Discover an old courier parcel that is my chinese rear tyre hugger. Gold! Attempt to fit it. Can't be hard....only 3 x 6mm bolts to undo from frame and fasten again.....

Tyre hugger is warped and only painted on the top side. Rivets can be seen in the casting...so can dirt and stones! Pre drilled holes dont line up....do some drilling and begin undoing the 3 small bolts. They seem overly tight?? Spanner slips slightly so I switch to a socket set. 1st 2 bolts undone. Decide I need to let some penetrating oil soak into the threads overnight. Begin undoing the last bolt which holds the rear brake hose in place.......SNAP. Bolt shears off, leaving 3/4 of the thread in the frame. Damn. Not to worry...I have a few Ezy-outs......can't get a drill lined up....rear sub frame and exhaust hanger are in the way!!!! Give up. Go to bed. (Pics to come)

Tried to restore my faith in my bike by putting the new adjustable brake lever on. It looks better than the OEM ones in my opinion...now I just have to put the matching clutch lever on too.

Front mudguard with Chinese fairings is white...flag that....use OEM purple one instead...cleaned it up with a rag, job done.

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 am

Yep pretty common experience! The tails are always rubbish, nc30 we always use the oem joiner bit. Bit rubbish the colour was wrong on the guard - was that on the original photos?usually needs bolts glued on as well. I've never gone well with ezy outs, I bought the 3$ set of bolt extra tees from gear best and that's set me right the last two times I've snapped off bolts in aluminium frames. On the front headlight bit side of things - person I sold my stuff to will have two sets if he'll part with one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:58 am

Removed rear subframe....drilled a hole in the centre of snapped bolt for rear tyre hugger.....inserted Ezy-out and began to unwind the snapped bolt.....SNAP!! THE FLAMING EZY OUT SNAPPED OFF AND HAS FILLED THE CENTRE OF WHAT'S LEFT OF THE BOLT!!!

Un bloody believable. I'm done. That bike is officially moth-balled until summer. Stupid. Ridiculous.