HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VF400RK, TRX850 , Bultaco T350
HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

Post by colinf » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Well,here goes! It was suggested that i put build photo's etc on the site supporters section so you can help answer questions that will come up along the way. I'd like to start by explaining that i've done restorations on all types of bikes in the past but this will really be the first special build .Normally when restoring a bike i start by carefully dismantling it and then start on the frame,then suspension and wheels so i have a restored rolling frame that you gradually build up ( so it looks like a bike rather than a pile of parts).This will be different in that it will be a sort of evolving dry build during fabrication of exhaust and frame/fairing mountings etc so it wont look shiny for quite a while.Once everything is sorted it will be dismantled again and paint and any plating will done then prior to the final build.They say you should have a clear idea of what you're aiming for when building a special,well this is it
HRC VF400RK.jpg
[img]
HRC%20VF400RK.jpg
[/img].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

Post by colinf » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:23 pm

I'll try and reduce the file size a bit in future!
These are the only 2 images i have of an HRC version of the bike.I have about forty or so of the VF400RK used by Team Honeybee Racing.There are some very useful shots of the bike minus fairings and some great close up shots.I would like to do it in HRC colours and with the half fairing rather than the fully faired Honeybee bike but will have to use the Honeybee one as a reference.The other obvious difference is the exhausts.Most pics of the Honeybee bike shows 4-2-1 with the pipe on the right and the poor translation on-line says the HRC bike had an exhaust both sides ( look through the back wheel on the parts list cover pic).There is also a picture of a Honeybee bike with an exaust on the left ( maybe both sides?) ,not sure if it's the same bike at a different time or another bike. I will adjust the size of these files then put them up.Then i'll show you the less glamorous project bike ,abandoned in a basement and saved from the scrap man by a council employee who was surveying the building, and the initial stages.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:52 pm

These are the different pics of the Honeybee bikes.
[img]
VF400RKc.jpg
[/img]
[img]
VF400RKc.jpg
[img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:03 pm

The pics of the Honeybee team bike with fairing off are what i'll be using for a lot of the detail but the exhaust ,fairing and radiator mods will be as per HRC spec bike.[img]
VF400RKe.jpg
[/img]
This is the rather sad looking VF400F that will get the make over.Good surplus standard parts will be donated to another VF400F ( I got them both from the same person) which will be restored to original spec.
[img]
VF400RKe.jpg
[/img]

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Definitely following this one
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:47 pm

As stated before the objective is to build a replica of the TT F3 race bike as per the HRC pictures.I have never been on a track day but might have a go once it's done,i also intend to use it on the road but dont want to spoil the race look.There are lots of on-line discussions on what is required for "daytime MOTs" but my local testing station says it just needs horn,number plate and reflector.Once tested i'll probably put a front operated brake light and maybe a discreet
(detachable) projector type headlight for safety but it wont have mirrors or indicators .As the rear bodywork will be custom made i intend to make more than one so the road version will have brake light and number plate mounting and the race one wont.A lot of specials are built as up-graded versions of the originals using modern running gear etc ,which is fine,but not what i'm aiming for.All components will be contemporary so no billet parts or carbon etc.Although i hope to finish it to a high standard it will be as close to the racer as i can get it.I have quite a library on all sorts of bikes and i've been going through my books on race bikes looking for Hondas of the period.While the VF400 doesn't feature in any of them there are detailed pictures of RS500,FSW(F1),RS850R(TT F1) etc .Using these pictures you can see how things are done and what looks right on the racers ,so if something uses a particular style of mounting ,like rads ,then it will be copied on this but if the racer uses cable ties for a catch tank then i'll use them.I actually stumbled across the correct fairing for it the other day but the auction had nearly ended and the vendor ( in Japan ) wouldn't post World-wide.......something i'll look into.
[img]
VF400RKc.jpg
[/img]

benny
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 (track), ZX-9R (road)

Post by benny » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Interesting build, keeping an eye on it!
BRS Racing for up to date bike build and race results.
TT Zero for the electric Superbike build.
DM104 for the road race team.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Because this project bike was actually a spares donor for another VF400F it's a happy coincidence that the "left over" bits would be enough to build a racer on.Given that the production based F3 bikes had stock frames ( minus redundant lugs etc),swingarm and basically stock engine internals ( apart from HRC cams ) and the fact that the wheels and forks were different wouldn't matter .So first thing was to strip it down to the frame and by referring to the pictures start removing anything it doesn't need.Most of this was the various brackets and mountings around the "subframe" area but also the tab for the steering lock, the hose inlet and outlets on the left hand frame rail and the mainstand mounting.It will be keeping the swingarm which i think the VF500 shares despite the different brake arrangements. Just for my own interest i've weighed everything that has come off it so i can compere replaced items like forks,wheels etc and work out the weight of redundant parts and the weight saved on cut-down or modified parts.You'd be surprised about some of the less obvious parts but the weight saving can get a bit obsessive!
[img]
VF400RKc.jpg
[/img]
[img]
VF400RKc.jpg
[/img]

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23s, 29, 30s, MC16

Post by Yakama » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:54 pm

There is an hrc exhaust on yahoo Japan just now

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Cheers,Yakama....good call! Interesting to note how the rear cylinder's pipes differ on the HRC ones and the pictures of the Honeybee bike's.There are photos of their exhaust off the bike too.Because i had no close-up of the Honda one i'd measured up the header dimensions and the relative position of the frame/suspension etc and had drawn up plans for copies of the Honeybee style exhaust.The HRC one looks simpler as the H'bee ones loop around under the frame behind the engine before going backwards towards the silencer.......might have to rethink that.
I think i might have contacted you via ebay asking about HRC manuals a few weeks ago? Thanks for the input, that's what i hoped for by putting the build on the forum.