HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VF400RK, TRX850 , Bultaco T350
Re: HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

Post by colinf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Sorry for delay in updates recently ( if anyone is still following this ) but i've just finished recommissioning and partial restoration of a 1981 CB250N Superdream.Not the worlds most exiting bike but it's from my era.Actually picked it up to stop it becoming another victim of the "hipster's" attempts at a custom bike! Anyway back to the VF.........
Just about sorted out positions for the electrical components and will start to modify the loom at the weekend to tidy things up.Also been thinking about the rear wheel options.The front was straight forward as the rim was the same as the NS400R but the rear on the Honeybee bike is CBR400F 18x3.00 .That can't be a standard rim as the CBR400F had 100/90 tyres.I know some of the NS400R owners put modified rears on their bikes using NS hubs and spokes attached to VF1000R 3.50 rims.The problem is that even if i could find a CBR400F wheel i wouldn't be able to get an 18" rim 3.00 wide. The other option would be to use an NS400 17" rear and squeeze a 120 tyre on? Calculating the relative diameters shows that a 120/90 17 ( assuming you can get one?) would be 7.49mm smaller diameter than the 110/90 18 that was on it ( so 3.75mm lower ).Just from an esthetic point of view i offered up a 17" wheel from a GS1100 ( the only 17" i could lay my hands on), it actually had a 130/90 tyre on so i wasn't ideal but it didn't look unbalanced.Any ideas? If anyone can recommend suitable rubber or can think of any pros and cons for the options mentioned do chip in.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Found another "new" picture online of the HRC fairing and bodywork on an otherwise stock looking VF400.It still has the instruments and rear indicators on it and the stock wheels with inboard discs.The problem with a lot of photos on instagram etc is there are usually no actual details of the subject! [img]
hrc%20kit1.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:01 pm

[quote="colinf"]Cheers,Yakama....good call! Interesting to note how the rear cylinder's pipes differ on the HRC ones and the pictures of the Honeybee bike's.There are photos of their exhaust off the bike too.Because i had no close-up of the Honda one i'd measured up the header dimensions and the relative position of the frame/suspension etc and had drawn up plans for copies of the Honeybee style exhaust.The HRC one looks simpler as the H'bee ones loop around under the frame behind the engine before going backwards towards the silencer.......might have to rethink that.
I think i might have contacted you via ebay asking about HRC manuals a few weeks ago? Thanks for the input, that's what i hoped for by putting the build on the forum.[/quote]

Hi Colinf, could you share the vf400rk hrc manual informations? Iìm also working around my vf400f and have yoshi race2 cams for the vf. I'm after the hrc manual since long time, it would be great to get it. I could make you a donation.
Thanks
Pietro

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Pietro, i haven't been able to get hold of a copy of the manual yet.If/when i get one i'd be happy to share the info with anyone interested.Will update on the build soon.Any info on the Yoshi cams would be helpful, can't find much online about any performance cams for the VF400.
Happy new year to all!

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:08 pm

[quote="colinf"]Although there's going to be quite alot of small modifications and mountings etc to fabricate the main areas for modifications are the fairing/seat unit,cooling system,exhaust system,wheels/brakes and forks.Once the frame was de-lugged it seemed like the front end would be a good place to start.The wheels on the HRC bike and the Honeybee one are the same style as the ones on the NS400R ( and VF1000R,RS850,NS500 etc in various rim sizes) but,according to the on-line translation,they are CBR400F wheels.The front is 2.50x16 and the rear 3.00x18.I should think CBR400F's with these wheels are a bit thin on the ground but the front is the same size as the NS400R and available.Given that the wheel is the same size and that the racer and NS both have TRAC anti-dive forks and what look like the same calipers i thought the NS front end might be the answer but the mudguard mounting is different.The mudguard was the clue and it dawned on me that the front end is VF500 37mm forks ( obviously!).The forks i got came complete with yokes and stem and fitted okay although the threaded part of the stem is slightly different.I had a bit of a rumage and found an NC21 top yoke that fitted nicely and also looks cleaner than the VF one with the Ignition barrel mounting on it (the ignition will be hidden away somewhere).These forks will be stripped and seals etc replaced before being painted black later.Will make sure all the pieces fit before anything gets rebuilt properly.You can see the forks are wider than the stock VF400.
[img][attachment=1]VF400RKe.jpg[/attachment][/img]
[img][attachment=1]VF400RKe.jpg[/attachment][/img][/quote]

I think forks could be from the vf400f2e integra. They are 35mm like cbr400f3, and have double disc. If you are interested I have the entire vf400f2e integra discs set bought in japan. I leave it go for a reasonable price.
Cheers
Pietro

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks Pietro, i'll bear them in mind. You could be right about the forks but i suspect they are the same as the VF500 ones fitted.I doubt Honda would be making two or more 35mm TRAC anti-dive forks even during the excesses of the early eighties.I was going to cross reference parts numbers to check but can't prove it either way yet.I'll let you know if i find out.

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 pm

[quote="colinf"]Thanks Pietro, i'll bear them in mind. You could be right about the forks but i suspect they are the same as the VF500 ones fitted.I doubt Honda would be making two or more 35mm TRAC anti-dive forks even during the excesses of the early eighties.I was going to cross reference parts numbers to check but can't prove it either way yet.I'll let you know if i find out.[/quote]

Colin, they did it. They are 35mm. I'm sure to have some technical data sheet a jap guy gave to me lost in my computer.

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 pm

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 pm

The discs I have are from the vf400f integra and also fits the vf500f forks, being the same diameter. The front ones are exactely those you can see on the vf400rk images on the web. They are in stunning conditios and I let go to you (2 front and 1 rear) for 50 euros plus shipping.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46366338@ ... ed-public/