HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VF400RK, TRX850 , Bultaco T350
Re: HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

Post by colinf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm

http://www.http://www.400greybike.com/f ... ew&id=1128
The pic with black fork legs is the honeybee racers front wheel and the red forks are the project bike with the first attempt at drilling discs. These discs won't be used as they aren't in brilliant condition so this was more of feasability study. They weren't hard to drill though, a good (new) Cobalt drill did the whole disc no problem and each hole had oil in to keep it cool to avoid localised heating of the disc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Overall i'm quite happy with the rear wheel, it doesn't look out of proportion to me.Will need the NS400 brake parts but if it had all just bolted together it wouldn't be a special would it?
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1130
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1131
Comparison of the project bike as it is and the Honeybee racer minus bodywork.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm

I seem to remember that the most import thing when drilling disks is to use a countersink to clean off any burrs and get rid of the sharp edges to the holes otherwise you will eat through pads. Looking good and I have to admire your determination to find just the right parts - not got the patience for that myself...

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm

Cheers, i think you're right about counter sinking/de-burring. I did experiment with using a stepped drill ( goes up in 2mm increments ) by running the 8mm section through the 8mm holes until the 10 mm section just touches it. As for finding the right parts you can blame this forum! When i first saw a pic of the HRC kitted bike i thought it would be nice just to make a special in that style out of the donor bike using similar fairing and any race style wheels. It was the pictures of the Honeybee racer on this forum that i kept coming across on internet searches that did it.Once i found that some of the HRC parts do come up on Japanese auction sites and that some NS400 bits would work it sort of escalated a bit.Thanks for the input.

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 pm

About drilling neither countersink nor stepped drill is needed, You simply have to use a conic blame to finish the edges cleaning them off. My friend Franco who's helping me with the d.o.b.a.r. project did the job on many and many car's and motorcycle's discs with stunning results. Colinf remeber the right forks would be the vf400f2 or the cbr400 f3 or again the one from the vt250f (don't remember the exact model year of the latter). My discs would leave my garage happily and are searching for a new home there in the UK, they don't like piggy italy... and come for less than we dealed

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Ah, what about your friend? Greet him.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 pm

To update on my friend Greg's charity walk which he did on midday Christmas day, i went to cheer him on.
He had an accident on his bike coming home from Brands Hatch on Easter Monday when he hit a piece of timber that was on the M11! It took emergency services two hours just to stabilize him before the air ambulance flew him to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge. He had suffered a broken ankle,pelvis,arm,collarbone,7 ribs,sternum,2 vertabae a little finger and a collapsed lung! His target was to raise £3500, which is the average cost of a call-out for the air ambulance, by walking un-aided 400 yards from his house to the station.He did it in an incredible 8 minutes and 8 seconds! As of now the amount raised is £4217. Anyone interested can see his story or donate on the " just giving" website where you can search for "greg's groggy steps".
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1132

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Getting back to the forks mentioned in ligurts post above, i've been trying to compare part numbers of the various models suggested to see if any are common to more than one model.The problem is the way Honda product codes work.The codes break down into three parts XXXXX XXX XXX , the first five digits are the function,the middle three are the model it applies to and the last three the supplier or revision ( think there can be fourth digit if a colour reference ). So the forks i've used are: 51421 MF2 003 51421=Forkleg MF2=VF500F 003=revision ( now 013 ) I referred to the CMS website to compare the models suggested
VF500F = 51421 MF2 003
VF400F2 = 51421 MJ6 003
VT250FE = 51421 KE8 003
CBR400F3 Not listed
CMS have a page on their site which list product codes and models.In that list the MJ6 code (VF400F2 above ) is down as CBR400FE-F,F2E-F,F3F .........Does that mean they are common?
Tried looking at the Stanchions and related seals to see if i could find any dimensions and found that the VF400F2 ( MJ6 in above list ) has a KE7 code on the stanchion instead.
Some websites on the subject suggest the model code is for the first model it's used on but i would have thought that would make life hard when identifying parts for subsequent models using the same one.
Moved on to brake calipers and caliper pistons but this time on David Silvers website ( i doubt anyone knows Honda part numbers better than David Silver! ) the pistons for the CBR400F and the VF500 are the same EFBAH MA3 006P and the VT250F was listed as out of stock so are not the same part.The calipers for CBR400F and VF500F are different though.Weirdly the MA3 code is listed as CB1100RB on the CMS site!
Now i'm not sure any of that actually proves anything ,so the question is what, if any , are the differences between the forks mentioned? I went through all my notes and don't actually have anything which says which forks were used on the Honeybee racer ( do you have more info Pietro?) .They have to be TRAC anti-dive and have vertical mudguard bolts which the VF500 ones do.They also fit the NS400 wheel nicely and look right. Can anyone see something i cant?

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:31 pm

A pdf list I can't upload on the forum (though I can email), a jap guy sent to me reports the vf400fd and vf400f2 as having both 35mm stanchions as well as all vt250 mc08 and mc15 from 1982 to 1987 and cbr400f from 1983 to 1987 and cbr400f3 1984 (not the 85 model).

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Poor Greg! He's lucky for the metallic structure they placed on his leg. It's a russian method that is considered the best one to be applyed to a brocken leg. I wasn't that lucky when I brake mine in the early eighties, the doctor who was the master in Bergamo in this applaication was on holidays during those days, so they placed a Kuntcher nail into my marrow with a bent leg result, it seems a damaged stanchion! For sure Greg will have a happier end. Happy to be italian at least from this point of view. We don't pay for air ambulance except if you stupidly go out of track after hard snowing on mountains.