CBR 400 NC29/ZXR Race Bike Season

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR3TJ/ZXR400 H/NC29/ZXR400 L
Re: CBR 400 NC29/ZXR Race Bike Season

Post by Tuckshop1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:38 am

Cheers Dude!

When I first cut it off I could barely grab the clutch haha. But as soon as the adrenalin kicked in at the start of the race it went out my head until the last lap or so, then I started to really feel it.

Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tuckshop1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

Funny how things go sometimes.

I've now sold on my ZXR400 racebike, very reluctantly, but my bank balance has thanked me at least.

I say funny how things work as I managed to come to a bit of a deal with the guy who bought my ZXR. Turns out he owned my old NC29 racebike that's mentioned at the start of this thread. We came to a deal and I got cash and my old NC29 back! It looked like it hasn't turned a wheel since I sold it, unfortunately someone was very heavy handed with the carbs and has snapped the casting off the air bleed screw on the carbs themselves! not sure how. Also looks like they've tried to split the bank of carbs and when twisting, has broken the black plastic surrounding covering the jets :shock: I'm not too fussed as I thought it would need a lot more work. The engine turns over which is a good sign, but i'm waiting on new carbs to turn up so I can switch all the internals over from the previous pair, get them super finished and back on the bike, the benefits of having a brother who's a race bike mechanic by trade definitely helps!

I also managed to source a GF Racing Ohlins sprung cbr 600 shock for a good price to throw in the back of it. As much as I want to ride the cbr at least once again I think once its running it'll be sold on again and by the looks of it I have someone ready to buy it. After racing a ZXR for almost 2 years, sitting back on the NC29 with standard subframe, seat etc was horrible haha. Its absolutely tiny compared to the way I had the zxr set up, quite surprised I even managed to race the thing in the first place, very uncomfortable. BUT it was my first race bike so i'll always have a soft spot for it.

Hopefully it'll be running this week and we'll be able to get it on the dyno at JHS racing and see what the old girl is kicking out.
I wont be completely bikeless this year though when the NC is sold, I've bought myself a Supermoto Pitbike to do some British Mini Bike races on and to generally have a bit of a laugh riding this year, so that should fulfil that!

Did some comparisons on the JHS dyno as well to see what the range of 400's were like BHP wise. Myself and my brothers were 70bhp (Tuned) and my brothers 67 (Standard!) we compared these to a VFR which was 56 standrad I believe! and then tuned it was only 64 bhp, mad to think the amount of work that would have to go into that to get 64 bhp when a zxr is kicking out 67 standard! Baring in mind it does have dyno jet needles, ram air etc I do like the sound of the V4 but owning one has never appealed to me too much, the price of Honda parts is also a bit eye watering.

All that being said, i'll be returning to race big bikes in 2019, probably on a carbed cbr600 steelie to race in the pre-injection class. And if work is all going well and funds allow I may well buy another ZXR to play about on, my brother has 3 engines or so, think I may steal one!

Cheers all.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 am

Nc29 uncomfortable nah.
So the owner of the nc29 you sold it to used a hammer to take the carbs off, some folk shouldn't ride motorbikes if they are that useless at a spot of general maintenance. It's not rocket science and there are thousands of how to's on you tube to make it simpler.
Sorry to hear you had to sell the car, tip of the day if you buy the zxr back of the new owner who used to have the cbr factor in he's taken the hammer to that one as well.
Hope you get another zxr400 in the future then as, well as you have found out they are hilarious to ride and I guess more fun to race.

Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tuckshop1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am

I'm pretty gutted its going to need to be sold again as I will be without a 400 for the first time in about 8 years haha, started with a UK Model FZR400 3tj back when I was 17. Don't ride on the roads anymore, only had track 400's since then. If all starts going well at my newish job then I will get another 400 to build up myself into a track weapon. Fortunately I've got some good friends in the racing community so I've got a few 600's I can borrow for this season.

Yeah the carb thing was ridiculous, and the set of carbs I bought are for a 23 and not a 29, although advertised as a 29! so they're going back and the hunt for another set continues!