Dan's Track Bike NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30
Dan's Track Bike NC30

Post by iDemonix » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for quite a while. Reason being, my NC30 shed a fairing at speed on the motorway over a year ago and a replacement (Type 7, R/H upper) hasn't popped up on eBay. I'd been wanting something a bit newer and more reliable for ages and had some savings so I bought an '09 CBR600RR which I love - even though it doesn't handle or have a character like the NC30.

I bought (from this forum) someone's project NC30 about 2-3 years ago. I only bought it because it was cheap and I knew I'd want a track bike one day. It's a rolling chassis, with an engine, and few bits (lights, clocks, seat, etc) but no fairings, cooling system and other big bits. Apparently it was used as a 'teaching bike' at a college (uh oh...). I have no idea of the engine's mileage or health, so it'll just get a service, valve clearance check and sump clean out - might do a compression check at some point but never done one before. My plan is to build a track bike in 3 phases. Phase 1 will be just a basic track bike, something that is nice to ride, couple of nice bits, just to get to grips (I've never done a track day in my life). Phase 2 will be making the bike a bit more trick once I've done a few days and gained some confidence/knowledge. Phase 3 will be making it in to something that could be raced, in case I do decide to look at trying a season with BEMSEE or something one day. 3 phases also means I don't have to spend loads of money upfront, just over time.

Anyway. The very first step is to build a motorbike bench to work on it. I'm picking up a load of wood early Feb and will build a bench that will be where the bike goes from bits and pieces to full bike. My Feb bonus will be buying most of the parts needed, so will hopefully build it throughout March/April.

Here's the rough plan for phase 1:
  • Use my rolling chassis + engine
  • RO fork uprate kit
  • BMW S1000RR shock, not sure what linkage to use yet though due to cost
  • Tyga full exhaust system
  • Track fairings (quick release fixings)
  • Chinese rads + new hoses(no fan)
  • Standard carb setup (no ram air etc)
  • Standard loom (no total loss)
  • CBR600RR brakes (already have the callipers)
Here's what I need help deciding:
  • Do I wait for an overpriced RVF wheel to turn up, or do the VFR750 conversion?
  • Make a linkage out of rose bolts or fork out for a $$$ HRC linkage?
  • Cut the subframe or not?
  • What rearsets?
Will try and keep this as a bit of a build diary with pictures (everyone loves pictures). I've only decided this week to do it (was going to wait a year or two but I'm only getting older, mid-twenties won't hang around for long), so need to dig the bike out the corner of the garage (it's buried) and get the bench built so I can crack on!

Thanks for reading/subscribing.

Cheers,
Dan
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Dan's Track Bike NC30

Post by iDemonix » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:38 pm

Just a note for anyone reading: This build will be done entirely based upon guesswork and reading other peoples threads. Recommendations are both appreciated and encouraged. I don't know what setup to use for my carbs etc. so anyone is welcome to throw in some suggestions as I go along.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750

Post by bikemonkey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:56 pm

You can modify a S1000RR linkage to work, I believe there's a thread somewhere on here with details on it. But Rick's item is just drool worthy ;)

Will be watching this :rocks:

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by iDemonix » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Here's a pic of the bike in my old garage (moved since), it's in the same state except having a back wheel on it and now being buried. You can also see the missing fairing panel from the other bike!

I dug through my messages from 'Hutch' whom I bought it from on the forum, I remember now that the sump was cracked by students over-tightening the drain plug, but he gave me a replacement sump which I'll have in a box somewhere, and he reckons the front disks weren't true, so they'll likely be replaced.

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35’s, NC30 sold, MC34 many

Post by micpec » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Nice one to perform adjustments in a "3-stage rocket" build NC30.

Maybe you should contact drunkn munky as he has a free bike bench, see free section on the main index page ;)
"Action without Philosophy is a lethal weapon; Philosophy without action is worthless"

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by iDemonix » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:35 pm

micpec wrote:Nice one to perform adjustments in a "3-stage rocket" build NC30.

Maybe you should contact drunkn munky as he has a free bike bench, see free section on the main index page ;)
Excellent heads up, I did see that but tbh I used to be a carpenter so I like building my own things and it's going to be on castors, bike wheel chock bolted to it etc.

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by iDemonix » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:30 pm

Got home from work a bit early and decided to dig the boxes, MX gear, spare parts and other stuff from on top of it and pull it out of the garage and take the first proper look at it since buying it. Not going to be an easy one I sense, I just have a feeling...

The two slight niggles, first is the forks are a little pitted/dinged, reckon these are useable? Not sure if they're past it or not, damage is mainly at the tops of the tubes. The second is the gear lever shaft is pretty fucking rusty, I'm thinking a wire brush on a dremel might clean it up a bit, or some brass brushes...

One other question, why is there a second hole on the frame where the linkage mounts to?

I can't decide whether or not to take the engine off the frame. I really can't be arsed but it might be good to do a few jobs to the engine as I know nothing about it, hopefully it bloody runs!

Next step is to get two big storage boxes down from shelves and take a look what parts I have. I can't remember whether or not I have a spare loom etc. For now I'll try use bits from the spares I have to save money, once I get further down the line and have more spare cash I'll upgrade and put the spares back.

Here's some random pics:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 pm

I'd get the forks out and give them a polish, you'll probably never hit that far up the stanchion anyway, I never do on track and my fireblade brakes are literally like dropping two huge anchors off the back.

The gearchange should be fine, I'd wire brush it and give it a coat of something sticky (my personal favourite would be some graphite grease I use at work).

The hole in the frame, no idea why it's there but I have the same one so go figure!

You've got a nice blank canvas pretty much though!

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by iDemonix » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 am

Yeah it's a good canvas to work from I think, I've quickly designed a simple bench on paper, think weekend of Feb 5th I'm going back to Notts, will grab the wood then and build it up, then I can make a start. Will be buying bits end of Feb with bonus.

Just noticed you're in Oxfordshire, I'm in Didcot!

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Nice, I'm at Benson!

Only just down the road, but I won't be here long, back off to Staffordshire in April.