Nc30 rescue

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Nc30 rescue

Post by pptom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:04 pm

:mrgreen: After bringing my nc23 back from the dead last year with a purely mechanical resoration, I've decided that this winters evenings are going to be spent putting an NC30 back on the road.
Picked up the project on Saturday, together with another NC23. The VFR had apparently been sat for 8 years, but its mostly there with the exception of the rearsets and a couple of small brackets.

Plastics are fibreglass, non original colours and the tank has been resprayed, not the best finish in the world, but it rust free internally.

Been giving it a going over, before I striped it too far I wanted to make sure it ran so I changed the oil, fitted the carbs, jumped the battery and gave it a good cranking before engaging the ignition. About 30 secs of cranking and fiddling with the carbs later it sparked into life, but only on 3 cylinders. Pulled the carbs, confirmed a decent spark on the cold cylinder and cleaned out the offending carb - managed to get it going on 4 - chuffed!

Initial appraisal of the bike is that its a little bit rough, but salvagable, front stanchions are badly pitted, side covers are flakey, rear wheel was really stuck on the hub, exhaust joint well past it, both wheels need powdercoating and the whole thing needs a damn good clean.
On a positive note, despite the calipers leaking, the brake pistons look good, disks have plenty of meat and its fitted with braided lines, chain and sprockets only need a decent clean, clocks show circa 25,000km and the engine didn't smoke when running (except for the first little bit when it burned off the oil I put down the bores)

Over the last couple of evenings I've been stripping things off - made an Abba style stand last night and got the exhaust off tonight without too much drama:

Initial plans were to build a track / part time road bike, but the nc23 does the track part really well (suspension + brake mods) so I think I'm going for a nice road bike in type 1 colours instead, which may get used for the odd track day.

On the look out for some decent front forks (later type preferred) a decent rear shock (got a late type fitted, but think I'm going for a S1000rr item)and some original rearsets. I may go for an exhaust change at some point if and when funds allow.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Nc30 rescue

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:51 am

Looks like you've got plenty on your hands now!

If you're thinking about getting the exhaust repaired, message a member on here: rcv4. He can weld new stainless collars on the downpipe join doing a fantastic job for very reasonable money, did an ace job on my old system :peace:

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks mate, not sure where i'm going with the exhaust at the minute, may look for a cut system so i can stick a different can on it.
Another little update from today, decided to take some more bits off.
I previously removed the rear brake, but realised i'd need to use it to loosen the hub, so i bolted it back on and used cable ties on the mc to apply the brake. Got my big breaker bar out (scaffold tube) and the appropriate socket, braced myself and....the nut was already fairly loose!!!!
Hub tapped out fairly easy, looks like i've put some mice out of a home

While i had the urge and the time i removed the shock, rads, bars and forks. Worryingly the top yoke pinch bolts were missing and the top yoke was loose, must have handled well?
Current state:

Managed to score some fully rebuilt late spec forks with uprated springs from Graham France, blew the budget, but it makes sense. It would cost a fair few quid to rebuild a set, even if i found some for sale. These have new springs, dust and oil seals and bushes, so they're as good as new.
Also found a set of coerce rearsets on ebay, made the seller an early offer and he accepted, so they should be here next week.

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:46 am

I've never seen peanuts in the swingarm before. LOL.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Just a little update:
Finished cleaning the swingarm and frame, its come up really good using a combination of gunk for the worse stuff and gt85 for the rest. Used a cheap scotchbrite pad (pot scourers from wilkinsons) and a brass wire brush to get into the rough casting finish of the swingarm.
Checked the valve clearances and they're all the same (obvioisly inlet and exhaust different) looks like they must have been done shortly before its long sleep. All at the lower end of tolerance.
Managed so score a cut rear exhaust section complete with link pipe off the bay for £18 delivered. It needs the front to rear flanges repairing, so i'll get this and my good condition standard system done at the same time. I've got a tig kit, but usually give stainless or ally to a local chap who charges pocket money.
I'm now on the look out for a 'period' slip on - art / micron etc.
Hit both front and rear pipes with some wire wheels the last few days, the fronts were pretty easy and i could use my bench grinder with a brass wire wheel, but the cut rear section had been painted and was a right pain.

I had to get some wire wheels for my handheld grinder and brought some cheap tat from Aldi, good job i brought a few as 3 of them gradually fell apart while working. I've had issues in the past with stuff in my eye, so always wear safety glasses, but have also on occasion, picked wire out of my cheek, so now double up with a full face mask too. See pic for the debris field on my overalls!

Never had a problem with decent quality brass wire wheels, so the moral of the story is don't buy cheap rubbish and if you do wear loads of safety gear!

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 pm

I made a parts list the other week and had a spend up at the start of last week (about £500 worth).
Scored a BMW shock from e.bay for £130 delivered, apperently only 600 odd miles from new, looks in great shape.
Anyway, while I was waiting for parts I decided to build this, always wanted one and the nc30 project was the perfect excuse to get my finger out:

I brought a pot blaster from e.bay - £60 delivered from Belgium, upgraded the nozzle for £20, paid £4 for some glass and £10 for some gloves, the rest was scrap / surplus, so it owes me vey little. Also got a couple of bags of crushed glass from a blaster that I know in town for £5 a bag.
Fired it up for the first time tonight and I'm seriously impressed:

Before:

After about 5 mins:

Gives the perfect key for painting, the crushed glass is good on both ally and steel.

Fingers crossed the bulk of the parts I ordered will be here before the weekend.....

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Exciting times:

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Minor update, done some blasting and painting, first up is the subframe. It was pretty tatty with various spots of surface rust which the blaster made short work of. Etch primed aand i've just topped it with some Simoniz engine enamel:

Second job this evening was one which i wasn't looking forward to. The rear exhaust manifold had one of the flange studs replaced with a loose bolt which was a little awkward to remove. I managed to get the manifold nuts off with a wobble extension and a flexi joint on the end of it and welded a bolt in place of the missing one:

You can see that i screwed a nut on the end of it to keep it tight and central while welding. New gaskets installed and the manifold went back on with a little fiddle, but nothing major, i've done worse jobs!
Once that was sorted i fitted the HRC link and BMW shock, only a little fettle required to one of the frame tabs to clear the shock adjuster
Last edited by pptom on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Good to see another nc30 being saved.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Been busy with the baster and rattle cans:
Before:

After:

After blasting they were primed with Etch Primer, coloured with Halfords Ford Graphite Grey and Laquered with 2k which came in a spray can, this is a 2 part can, before use a button is pressed which mixes the 2 components together - the whole can then has to be used within 6 hours. I laquered it last night and was really surprised this morning with the result - it still looks wet even though its dry - seriously impressed with this stuff. Also did the fork lowers too.