Nc30 rescue

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Re: Nc30 rescue

Post by pptom » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Painted the front calipers after blasting of course, I used VHT gold caliper paint + cured in the oven.
Seems to be ok, colour isn't too in your face, which is perfect.
Started building them up this morning, unfortunately, when I ordered new seals from Rick O, I stupidly only ordered one caliper worth by mistake so I ordered another set from an ebay seller. Turns out the ebay ones are too big (well the small piston seals are anyway) so I only managed to get one caliper together today

As for the pistons - I gave them a thorough inspection when they were clean and discovered that they'd been pitted in the past and cleaned back up, some of the nickel plating was damaged etc, so I decided to get a new set as. lets face it, these are pretty damn important! £100 delivered from an ebay seller. The replacements are stainless, I think he makes them himself. The finish wasn't as smooth as I'd like though, they'd just been finished on a lathe, whereas I think the normal process is to grind them smooth.
I put each one in my lathe and took the fine ridges down with some wet and dry, then went over and gave them a whirl on the polishing machine - the feel much smoother

Before on the left, after polishing on the right

Last edited by pptom on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Master cylinder rebuilt too

When I was taking my NC23 on a couple of track days last year I decided to buy a couple of replacement levers, just in case I dropped it. These are still unused and they fit the NC30 so that was a result. The old battered NC30 levers can go in the trackday spares bucket.
Fitted the twist grip too, the old cables were bent and frayed at the twist grip end and were catching badly, so a couple of new ones were needed, they run a treat now.

Reckon I'm up to about £1300 now, including the original purchase price although thats only a guess, hopefully when all said and done it should be on the road for £1500 and be a well sorted bike.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:50 pm

I was thinking about track days and the like yesterday, specifically in relation to crash bungs. I then suddenly thought that my shiney scorpion end can would get pretty well damaged if i put the bike down on the RHS. Then I remembered the ART can that I'd brought some time ago - it was nowhere near good enough to put on the bike from a visual point of view (dents and scratches galore), I priced it up around £70 to get the correct parts delivered so I could resleeve it, so put it to the back of my mind when the scorpion came up for sale.

This would be the perfect trackday can though - so long as I can get the noise within limits.
I gave the sleeve a quick clean and polish this evening, dug out some spare packing which had been sat on the shelf for about 3 years and riveted everything back together

Should do the trick, I've got a couple of baffles to choose from, so may try to get them both to fit via the same mount and get them both noise tested at its first trackday, then decide which to go for.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Good old DSS, they may not be the cheapest parts, but good quality and fast delivery - the remaining caliper seals arrived and have been fitted:

Also received a pair of mudguard brackets, they were a little tight on the sliders, presumably as they'd been painted, so I heated the brackets up gently and applied a little silicone grease to the sliders - they then slid on a treat:

Mudguard appears genuine, but is a kind of matt white colour, so I need to do something with that.
Also received a new choke cable from Wemoto, once that was fitted I could get the airbox installed, fired the engine up to check and it sounds even better with the airbox on, lots less intake noise and more exhaust.
Last edited by pptom on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Dropped my white, dirty, flakey rear wheel at 'Wheel Clinic' in Northampton on Thursday morning, they acid dipped it to remove the paint, gave it a little blast to give a key and powder coated it gloss black. They called me about 28Hrs later to tell me it was ready! Seriously impressed with the turnaround time, finish and price - £45.

The front is already gloss black, but needed touching up, I didn't want the expense of getting that painted too, so went around with a little artists brush and some engine enamel filling in the spots.
Both wheels then got 2 coats of 'wheel sealant' which is basically a hardwearing wax, it makes them easier to keep clean.

The tyres came in the house and sat on the radiator while I fitted 2 x new valve stems, I then used some tyre soap on the beads (cost me a box of tea bags to a tyre fitting place some time back) and popped the tyres on with no drama. I always use rim protectors and a michelin type tyre lever and once you've done a few they are easy enough:

Just ran them up the garage and used the compressor to seat the beads, hopefully be able to fit them both tomorrow once I've seen my electroplating mate.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Nice to see a powdercoater that follows instruction and masks the vital areas good job.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Picked up a little bit of bling:

I polished all of the parts before giving to my mate for zinc plating.
Those collected meant I could stick the wheels and calipers on proper:

Its looking really good now, will be a shame to put the ropey old fairings on......

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Front and rear braked flled and bled, looks like one of the front bleed nipples may not be sealing properly though, may have to fiddle about with that:

The tank has been painted before and not terribly well, so I set about wet sanding it yesterday and got it polished up, its not brilliant, but passes muster from a few feet away. unfortunately it looks like its been filled in a couple of places and there is an area of white paint which has loads of flecks of black in it, must have been contaminated while painting.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Managed to find a decent battery in my stash so thought I'd have a go wiring up the Reg / Rec. Think i mentioned previously that i saw it smoking before! well one of the plug connections was burnt. I was planning a Mosfet style upgrade (used a later CBR600RR one in my NC23 and its great) but thought I could save some cash by using the old one. I stripped it all down and re-wired with the positive and negative going straight to the battery (fused), fired the bike up and straight away the battery voltage shot up to 17V so that RR went in the bin. Found my old NC23 one and the battery stayed at 12.4V - second RR in the bin, pulled the one from my other NC23 project and that sat at a healthy 15v, unfortunately it doesnt quite sit flush with the subframe using both bolts and its age unknown so I don't 100% trust it like I now do with the rest of the bike.
I think for peace of mind I'm going to find another Mosfet RR.

Not far off now, I think the outstanding jobs are the above, to tidy the butchered side light wiring, refit the rear brake switch + make it work with the Coerce rearsets + bang the fairings back on.
So much for a 'winter' project, looks like I'll need to find something else to keep me ticking over through the cold dark months.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:28 pm

New Reg/rec turned up:

Its from a 2010 CBR600rr (mosfet type), these are good because they have wiring attached, all you have to do is cut the plugs off and they can be hard wired to your existing loom (soldered) I've also directly wired the outputs to the battery with a 30A fuse on the positive side

Doesn't fit too bad with just one bolt and nyloc nut, I've additionally put a cable tie round it for extra security, the fairing slips over it lovely.

Fired the bike up and straight away the reading across the battery terminals was 14.55V, doesn't change when revs rise or fall, so spot on.