Nc30 rescue

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Re: Nc30 rescue

Post by pptom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Moved on to the rear light and rear brake switch.
Plugged the light in and nothing from either lights or brakes so I checked the plug at the bike end. Got a voltage from the lights but not brake switch, luckily I had a spare switch which worked well so that was the bike end sorted.
I moved onto the taillight unit, the wiring was proper scabby, every time i stripped off a bit of insulation the wires underneath were in a bad state. I went back all the way to the bulb holders, still with no joy. then I had a brainwave. I had a spare NC23 rear light assembly which plugged straight in to the NC30 loom and both sets of lights worked, I then hoped for the best and unscrewed the bulb holders which fitted into the NC30 taillight assembly, result!

Decided to trial fit the fairings, these have been in the roof of my garage since buying the bike and I've never really paid much attention to them - ignoring the inevitable. The seat is genuine, but resprayed I think and the front is 3 piece fiberglass, all of it is a little tatty.
The pain in the arse radiators struck again as both the top and bottom foul the fairings a little, but I managed to get everything on of a sort. Stood back and I'm a little disappointed, the bike looks great underneath, but unfortunately the visible bits - tank and plastics let it down a bit. New plastics from China which are probably going to be a pain to fit and a tank respray aren't going to be easy or cheap so I'll have to grin a bare it until I've saved up or got a windfall.
Pics to follow....

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:52 am

Fairings all fitted, both top and bottom rads foul them. The top rad is too wide and the bottom is too thick, cant move it back anymore as it will hit the oil filter / exhaust.
I suppose it doesn't look too bad, some various shades of red in there

Indicators are in the wrong place and point inwards slightly

Don't like the look of this, far too close

Once the tank was on properly I couldn't resist the urge to have a little ride down the concrete track at the back of our house, its only about 300m long, but all seemed good, its nice to get it moving under its own power. good morale boost!

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:03 am

So, my mind is whirring...
I picked up a NC30 track bike last week which needs recommissioning, the rads on that are original and seem ok, so I'm thinking about swapping them with this bike, fitment on the chinese rads won't be as much of an issue with the track fairings.
Its also got a Hagon shock which I reckon won't be as good as my BMW shock and HRC link, so I might swap them over too and have the BM shock on the track bike, Hagon for the road.
I've also been thinking about fairings. I don't need a pillion seat - it won't stay on anyway as I've not got a lock for it and, as mentioned before, the fairings let the bike down, I quite fancy these:

I know the pitfalls with chinese fairings but has anyone actually fitted these particular ones? they work out about £250 inc postage. (plus import stuff)

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Looking sweet tom..ive enjoyed reading through this..just a fair clean up and i dont think it looks to bad with fairings on.but those oki ones are sweet...go for it most say its only minimal fettling to get them to fit properly..good luck

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:53 pm

So, radiators removed, to go on the track bike and a decent pair found from 2 bikes worth.
The top rad was pretty good, just wanted cleaning, but the bottom had the usual loads of bent fins, which were hiding about a kilo of dirt. I was amazed when I found it all in the bottom of the sink!
I basically soaked it in very hot water containing a dishwasher tablet, then blew it out with my airline + repeated the process again. I used a McDonalds wooden stirrer to push the fins straight (about all they're good for)
Gave it a little spray, fitted and they both hold water!

Also had a Hagon shock on the track bike, but I decided it would probably be best to swap them over and have the Hagon on this (road) bike and the BMW shock and HRC link on the track bike.
So I stripped it down, cleaned the body and got the spring blasted and powdercoated:

Came up nice, I think its quite low miles too.

Since I then had to put the stock linkage back on I decided to raise the ride height. Blasted the stock dogbone, measured 8mm from the centre of the 10mm hole, drilled a pilot hole to mark the position, then I turned down some 10mm plugs and welded them in the original holes. Linished the welds flat, then I set about extending the pilot holes to 10mm. Heres the newly modded and sprayed item next to an original:

Buggered about fitting the link and shock - basically trying to remove as little as possible from the bike. In the end I had to drop the undertray and remove the rear wheel. Would have been so much easier if I'd have removed the exhaust too!

Just need to get the front and rear sag set up at some point and that should be the suspenders sorted

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Great job on the modified link.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 pm

Pulled the pin on the Oki fairings just now, fingers crossed!
Might set the sag tomorrow now the abba stand is free from my other bike. I'll then see if the side stand needs extending to match the higher ride height.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Sag now sorted, gone for 6.5mm rear and 20mm front.
That done it was time to tackle the sidestand which turned out to be 40mm too short
Done this a couple of times before and it's always a pain and doesn't look too nice although I think I over engineer it, the one on my cbr would hold up a cheiftain tank.
Thought I'd tackle this a different way, so I chopped the foot end off and drilled a hole in the stand, then I turned up an extension piece to match

You can also see I drilled 2 holes through the stand bar so that I could plug weld through to the extension,then welded it all up

Bolted back onto the bike so I could get the length spot on and grind the end to the correct angle and reattach the foot in the right place. Tack welded the foot and removed the side stand again to fully weld, the I ran it through the blasting cabinet

Paint is now drying, think it looks ok and should be pretty strong.
While I was in the garage I replaced the fuel tap diaphragms as the tap would leak through the drain hole when flowing, there was a tiny little mark in the old one and that's that, job done until the fairings arrive.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Lovely work, but why didn't you relocate the rubber foot holder thing ( I don't know the correct name for it?)
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 pm

The simple answer is I couldn't be bothered, it works where it is (whatever it Is) and doesn't get in the way.