'89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FJ1200 3CV, NC30, CX500
Re: '89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

Post by VtypeV4 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:59 pm

This afternoon has been spent refurbing the front calipers, installing new pads and a full bleed replacing all the old juice. Lever action is much firmer although I'm yet to test on the road, I'll probably do that later..

Nearly there!

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Brakes tested this afternoon and its about the best they've ever been and the pads aren't even fully bedded in yet. Very pleasing result. The Swedish Brake pads (SBC or something?) were bought as an Xmas present by my mate as he said he'd had excellent results out of them as set on his Suzuki race bike. He described them as 'Like Bendix but better' and they seem up to it.

On a cosmetic note, I installed the headlight rubbers too which have helped finish the front of the bike.

Loudandproud205
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R3 NC30 NSR125R JC20

Post by Loudandproud205 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Nice to see it back in full glory mine to is in a similar state of dis repair, the bike has been mechanically sorted and with a fresh mot is on the road but mine to needs the full fairing and exhaust from the same hit the car one side and tarmac the other.

Did you toy with going for your own colour set up instead as am in 2 minds, mine was the Movistar colours but I quite fancy a newer Martini colour change or something.

Albertus
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR150

Post by Albertus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 am

Nice work restoring the bike, Vtype. Those fairings look really cool, close to the pre-crash appearance.

Your build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: VtypeV4's NC30 Build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.

Admins, kindly delete this post if deemed inappropriate.

Al

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:33 am

Loudandprooud205:

Thanks for the kind words. It's always sad to see what was a clean bike batttered to bits in seconds due to poor observation of some four-wheeled jackass. As stated on the previous page too, sounds like you had a similar incident to me. Glad your bike is on the mend, hope it doesn't take too much work to restore. And post some pix if you can.

As for colours, I was soooo tempted to 'RC30' the 400 but decided to keep it as it was although I'm still toying with HRC gold for the wheels.

Albertus:

I'm happy for you to feature the bike on your site but be aware I'm not yet finished to there's still more to add in the future including pictures. There's also the story of me finding what looked to be a cylinder head bolt in the sump too although thats on another thread on here somewhere. Scary!

Also, make sure the mods of this site are happy for you to use the content too as I like this site and wouldn't want to upset them.

Many thanks, Matt

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:30 pm

It was SBS brakes, not SBC. I must have crossed SBS with EBC!

Front nose with headlight rubber outers in place. Sorry about the pix, I'm toss with a camera. You can just see the Mrs' Tiger 800 in the shot.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 pm

I've taken it for a longer shakedown today to do the rear pads and all was going well until I was nearly at my mates..

The bike started kangarooing and cutting in /out! Noooo! The clue was the rev-counter being erratic too so luckily a little searching found the the plug that connects the ignitor box half hanging out. A quick re-connect and all was well.. Almost.

The bike refused to start with battery seeming very low so I put it on charge whilst I did my rear pads. After a charge it restarted instantly but a check with a multi-meter showed it not to be charging. Booo. The reg-rec was stone cold so I checked all the cont / voltage points in the haynes and all checked out. Turns out my new reg-rec connector was a bit ropey requiring a gentle tweak of the spades inside. Once re-connected, I saw 12.8v at idle and 13.9 when revved. Winner.

So today:

Rear caliper cleaned, new pads installed and operation checked.

Charging issue identified and resolved.

Erratic running identified and resolved.

And I'd forgotten how much fun it was to ride even with a little bit of anger, I've missed riding the little terror.

Wheels, tyres and then we're done!

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 am

The wheels are coming off this afternoon and to be de-tyred then off to the powder coat people.. I'll take some pix upon their return.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Wheels just before they were taken away. The paint is battered on the back with large chunks missing as well as a number of marks and scratches. The front is a little better but still starting to look tatty and tired.

A re-purposed 16" Yamaha 1TX wheel currently supporting the front of the bike.

I've ordered new wheel bearings and new BT090s today and tomorrow, I'll head to source the rubber seals / spacers. SOO CLOSE NOW!

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:55 am

Just about to leave to go get my wheels!