'89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FJ1200 3CV, NC30, CX500
Re: '89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

Post by VtypeV4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:34 pm

They're back! They look very good, I wouldn't say they were show quality with a number of inperfections but they're a million times better than they were. I'm waiting on the tyre man to come who will fit my new BT090s (cheap too, fitted for £165!). I've fitted the new wheel bearings, dust seals and cleaned the discs up although the centres could probably do with a re-paint in the none-too distant..

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:20 pm

All fitted and sorted.. Test ride to follow tomorrow as the weather is a bit toss today. I'm loving the look of the bike, it's best it's looked for a long time.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:15 pm

We've been for a final shake-down ride this evening as a final prep for MOT tomorrow morning. Tyres are scrubbed edge to edge, new pads feel great and are biting nicely and the little V4 engine is pulling like a little stunner!

I can't see, hear or feel any reason why it won't pass but fingers crossed anyways.

Eben007
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC24, 250exc, 125 pittie

Post by Eben007 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:03 am

That looks so good Vtype, love the gold wheels, if mine comes up half as nice I'll be smiling.

Is that the default location of the licence disk holder? I was wondering where to put mine and I like it there, easy to see but not in the way.

Good job man!
Cheers

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Many thanks, I'm glad someone else is into the gold wheels too as it was a bit of a risk. I think they look great!

As for the licence disk holder, it's just there out of convenience but to be fair it could come off they're no longer required to be displayed in the UK. I think the bolt hole was designed to hold the inner trim panel but this bike never had them so it got re-purposed..

And the biike flew it's MOT with the tester chap saying it was a lovely example. Winner!

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:31 pm

VtypeV4 wrote:Many thanks, I'm glad someone else is into the gold wheels too as it was a bit of a risk. I think they look great!

As for the licence disk holder, it's just there out of convenience but to be fair it could come off they're no longer required to be displayed in the UK. I think the bolt hole was designed to hold the inner trim panel but this bike never had them so it got re-purposed..

And the biike flew it's MOT with the tester chap saying it was a lovely example. Winner!
I like the gold wheels as well. Very Ducati-esque. I've always loved the early 916 bikes.

That bolt hole you are using for the tax disc is a mount for a steering dampener.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 pm

With the gold I kinda figured that all the colours fitted together.. Pretty much at least!

Gold and Red: As stated from the '90s Ducati 916 theme which still looks awesome today.
Gold and Black: From loads of stuff from '70s XS1100, '80s FJ1200, and modern jobs including the R1 and Daytona 675 platforms..

All together on an NC30? I love it!

And thanks for the heads up on the bolt-hole. I don't feel mine needs a steering damper to be fair as it only occasionally shakes its head. And when it does, it's usually my fault!

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:51 pm

I've done a suspension tweak today as I felt the bike had a bit too much static sag on the rear. The shock still damps nicely but I'm sure there was room for improvement. Some clicks using my Hagon C-spanner and a bit of a faff later, the back of the bike is much better feeling better balanced when pressing on through the bends. I'm not sure of the distance of the sag but it feels 'right' so at a guess, about 20mm or so..

Eben007
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC24, 250exc, 125 pittie

Post by Eben007 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:57 am

Glad you got it sorted then V, I still need to do all that jazz, that rear shock is realyl wedged in there tight, the previous owner had no overflow tube on the water catch tank, and had some sort of goop in the rad to flush it out.. needless to say most of the overflowing goop ended up on the shock, chain and swingarm, so I have to take it all apart and clean it up, want to powdercoat the spring too as it looks a bit crappy.

I definately have a lot more than 20mm static on it, I hope I can balance things out.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:49 am

Cheers man. 8-)

It was pain to get at as I had to remove the rear fairing, the rear wheel and drop the pin out of the top of the shock. As the linkage and shock dropped down, it came forward a bit which gave me access to the adjuster on top. Even with all that, it was tricky to twist the adjuster because with every click, the next one got stiffer to pull round. I have a couple of scuffed knuckles to tell the tale!

Sounds like your bike has had a rough life in the past, looks like you found it just in time. Hopefully all the gunge and nasty will wipe off without too much drama, I hate stuff like that. With your shock settings, you may find there's plenty of adjustment left on the pre-load altough to be fair, I don't know much about the '24 suspension setup. Worse case scenario, it may need to be replaced but with that, most shock companies will give you an option for a different colour spring ready powder coated..

Be sure to post some pix when you get chance. :grin: