'89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FJ1200 3CV, NC30, CX500
Re: '89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 am

I'm now back from Germany and for 1800 or so miles it's been an absolute blast!

I had a reg-rec issue AGAIN on the Dartford crossing whch they shut breifly! I managed to push it over the hill of the bridge and bump start it on the way down without further issue. Closer investigaton once in Germany suggested a faulty connector block (which may have upset the old reg-rec?) and a bad internal joint on the new one so i ordered yet another as well as putting the spade connectors straight onto the pins. 1200 miles later and we're still charging.

Other than that, it's been thrashed to death as it's been hanging with a Speed Triple R, two R1s and a Zed thou all week. They destroy me on a straight but on flowing and twisty bits, it more than held it's own especially on the B258 between the track and Dollendorf which is a 25Km run and a personal fave. It's used about 150ml of oil which considering it's 27 years old and done 1800 miles including a number of laps around the Nordschleife is exceptionally good.

At the track..

The obligatory photo..

And a slightly photo-shopped pic from the top of the village taken by the Mrs..

The journey home was a toughie! Completing a 554 miles in one day on an NC30 is hard work! Well worth it though..

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:19 pm

A euro blast next year is sooo needed I think.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Do it man! Your back and shoulders won't thank you for it but if you have half the fun I've had then you'll have a riot. 8-)

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 am

Thought I'd drop in as I've not been on for a while..

The bike hasn't been far since it's Euro trip back in September - maybe 250 miles at a push. I haven't even started it this year as the roads have been both wet and terribly salty (no fun!) but I may drag it out this week and run it up. It's due for oil and filter too.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Thankfully the weather is on the up again (although it's terribly grey today) so the 400 will likely see a few more miles than in recent times..

Service time is due (in trms of numbers there's loads of miles left but I prefer to change the oil regularly particularly as the last 2000 miles have been heavy) as I still haven't done it's oil and filter. I won't have time today but I'll probably do it tomorrow whilst I wait for the boiler man. I did the oil and a clutch mod to the FJ yesterday so ran out of time to do the NC, sadly.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Thankfully it came out reasonably clean with no bits or shimmer so it's all good. New stuff in with a bottle and a bit to spare. My lower radiator has given me slight cause for concern as it looks fairly battered. It's not leaking nor is it rotten but nearly all of the centre part where the fins are has caved in. It's always been protected by gauze which itself is in good condition so unless it's been rubbing (they're close but not apparently touching) it's looking like I may take a trip to D&K to see if Pete has any decent second hand ones. Conversly, the upper rad is in good order with nearly all the fins still straight. Both were Chinese rads fitted four years ago.

Good to go!

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:11 am

I went out yesterday (today was a Yamaha day) but did little else other than put fuel in it however, I thought it looked particularly good in the sun so snapped the above pic..

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Finally got round to putting this on..

It's significance is twofold - Firstly it's a lasting memory of the awesome holiday I had last year aboard the NC30 but secondly it's a tribute to a frind who died at the 'Ring on May 14th.

For anyone who ever stayed at 'Sliders Guest House' will have met and spoken with Brendan Kierle the former owner - he'd just sold up and was moving to Spain the followiing day. He was also known as the 'baron' and did many features for PB magazine as well as holding the envious reputation for being amongst the fastest around the Nordschleife - 7.23 on a factory standard R1 - I saw the evidence! One of the most talented and smoothest riders I ever had the pleasure of riding with as well as being an all-round lovely guy..

On a happier note, the NC30 is running well and still returning a superb smiles-per-gallon figure. That's not a typo, I did mean smiles - i don't care how much fuel it uses most of the time!

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm

I thought I'd investigate the lower radiator situation today.. After commenting a while back that it was looking a bit knackered, I took the plunge to see if we could remedy it without replacement - just yet.. I also took the opportunity to paint the metal grill that covers it as it too was looking like it needed a tidy..

Grubby!

Looking tidy again..

Rotten - this was only half of it!

The fins were totally caved in pretty much blocking airflow through the radiator - recently it's been getting a bit warm at lights although seems perfectly content when moving staying at a constant 90 or so..

I have removed most of the remaining corroded fins from the rad so there's now a clear path for the air - see the pic as thats half what was removed! Not sure how it will affect the cooling as I know thats what the fins are there for but it really can't be any worse than it was surely?

The upper rad is still in good order - there's a few damaged fins but most are still fine in stark contrast to the lower especially as they were purchased as a pair and fitted to the bike in 2013. Even in this 'used' state, they're still much improved over the O/E ones I took off years ago. I'll take the bike to work in a bit and see how it reacts - hoping it runs a tad cooler now.

Sean91
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sean91 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 pm

The radiator fins conduct the heat between the tubes, because thats where the air passes through to cool it down. If you remove the fins then the heat is far more likely to build in the tubes, meaning the radiator isnt doing it job.

Basically, its now f*cked and you'll need to buy a new radiator :lol: