'89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FJ1200 3CV, NC30, CX500
'89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

Post by VtypeV4 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:49 pm

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ket-fixer/

TO VIEW THE PHOTOS ON THIS THREAD, YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE ABOVE ADD-ON FOR FIREFOX OR CHROME.

As some may know, I was knocked off by an un-observant driver back in August causing largely cosmetic damage to my trusty NC30. Sadly the bike was hit both sides (one side by the car and the other on the kerb / pavement as we went down) so it has put marks and damage in all but one fairing panel, smashed the screen, snapped the brake lever and bent the clutch lever, put a giant dent / fold in the fuel tank, cracked the clutch case as well as a few other odds and sods. On a happier note I had some compo so have commenced the build.

Bike pre-accident..

Bike post smash..

So I've ordered..

Full new Chinese fairing kit
An excellent condition 2nd hand tank
Pair of control levers
New front brake switch
New rectifier connector block (not damaged in the accident)

I still need a clutch cover although I'm hoping for a response on the 'wanted' section.

But whilst I'm at it I'm also gonna strip, rebuild and put new pads in the front calipers, have the wheels powder coated (I think they're staying white) as well as a full service..

Wish me luck. I'll post pics as things arrive and work happens. 8-)
Last edited by VtypeV4 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Re: '89 NC30 rebuild - post accident restoration.

Post by VtypeV4 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:39 am

Well, it's official... I have all the parts!

The weather is apparently gonna be ok tomorrow so I'll do a full photo of all the bits. Excited!

spiderdog
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by spiderdog » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:28 am

Alright Vtype, hows the rebuild getting along?

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:16 pm

Its scary when you see such a good looking bike basically stuffed in seconds. That's the bad part about these plastic covered bikes. I once got hit side on at lowish speeds on a xl125, i landed on the bonnet of the car, the bike suffered a minor scratch to the side panel. It was hard to believe it had been hit, on my 29 i assume it would have looked like the above.

Looking forward to see it reclothed.

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 am

Interested on how you get on with your Chinese fairings also :-)

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:39 pm

First of all, I'm so sorry at taking forever to get back to this thread. No excuses!

It's taken me an age to find a clutch cover but as expected, I get half way through fixing mine and one appears on eBay! For 23 quid delivered I couldn't pass it up.. I've also had difficulty with the sump inspection as stated elesewhere on this forum when I found a random bolt in there! An exhaust stud snapped during all this which was a nightmare but I had a good friend fix that particular nasty.

The rebuild has gone smoothly mechanically. Most taxing was the mini-rebuild of the front wiring loom down by the fan and front coil which was a lot of tape and chocolate box bodgery. It's now heat-shrink and a protective layer of tape which looks hardier and should last without upset.

More taxing was the fairing which has been a bit more trouble. i must start by saying my mirror mount frame is less than straight so I'm sure thats skewing things a little. i'll keep an eye out for one as a reference. The OE fairings have those convenient twist-lock fastners but the replacement items are nut and bolt which is terribly fiddly especially on the mid panels. Most of the fit has been acceptable to good with the exception on the mid panel to nose peice which is a bit out and as they just slot together, I secured them with a little gaffa on the inside. This is temp!

On the whole I'm pleased with the panels and it feels so good to have the bike back in one!

Still some work to do including a new set of BT090 tyres, wheel powder coating and sorting that rear brake. But for now, it lives! :grin:

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Been for a shakedown ride today..

Feels great except for those trashed tyres and non-existant rear brake. All to be sorted very soon!

MrLucky
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Currently riding Bucephalus...

Post by MrLucky » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:51 pm

looks good! Who supplied the fairing?

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:28 pm

It was a chinese supplier from the dreaded eBay however, luckily it arrived in one peice without much drama. I can't remember their account name though, sorry. They supplied all fairing panels including a screen and mud-guard as well as a big bag of nuts / screws and bolts, heat shielding and a carbon look tank protector.

The tank also came from eBay from a breaker down south somewhere..

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by VtypeV4 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:47 pm

So I fitted the new connector and wires for the reg-rec as the old parts were fairly battered and dirty. More heat shrink and tape to the rescue.

The issue with the rear brake was a worn and partially seized master cylinder so it was both weak and sticky. I found a second hand part from an NC35 at D & K this afternoon which I not only got a good deal on but Craig kindly aqua-blasted it for me too. An inspection of the caliper showed it to be in generally good shape with all parts moving freely. The pads however are due for replacement so I'll grab some tomorrow as the FJ needs a pair too. After bleeding the system and getting all the old fluid out, we have an operational rear brake.

Winner!