Being led by the heart

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1990 nc30
Re: Being led by the heart

Post by carpman » Fri May 02, 2014 7:17 pm

I went to the powders coaters today, right there is some good news and some bad news he has ral 1036 gold but ral 1567 is not a recognised ral code, I have not got anything with gold on to match with so I am little Knackered without a swatch that I could send them.....

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Sun May 04, 2014 8:35 pm

As I stripped the back end down I decided to bag and tag as I went to help everyone that is going to come into contact with these parts blasters platers and of course Me...... All I have to do now is sort out that bucket of nut bolts and other bits and bobs that have already been stripped but not bagged but photograped instead for id purposes :pray: well lets see if I have anything left afterwards.

ImageImage

Thankfully nothing left in the bucket but I think a bolt disappeared (10mm ns engine mounting bolt that holds the ns loom plugs strange it was in the bucket but its also in the engine mounts pic) anyway everything in now bagged and tagged but it does look like someone has had the engine out before and royaly fcuked the bolts up as some of the bolts are the wrong size and some of their positions are wrong...

ImageImage

Now for a Question : - Does anybody know how much would/does it cost for shot blasting that quatity of bits ?

I'm debating on buying/hiring a blasting kit (cabinet and compressor to buy Approx £150 each) and doing it myself if its going to be cost effective then sell the blast cabinet afterwards and keep the compressor for future usage.

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Tue May 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Spoke with Rick O last night and my order is ready
O ring for timing cover, 4 more carb mount bolts, Q/A throttle HRC, Air filter OE, Sub air filter, Earth upgrade kit, fork seal tool, full jack up kit, 5 shims, that will be here thurs, got to put my 5th order into david silvers soon. My goodies box is fill up fast
Spoke to a local shot blaster (I cleenz Macheenz) on the phone about pricing, we both decided it would be far easier to see each other in person to discuss and have a look at the sort of quatity I want blasted.

@Tony I was very lucky today I had a job that took me into Sittingbourne and finished 5 mins away from BP blasting. had V quick chat about gold powder coat and prices £50 pw £30ish for calipers so pretty much the same price as Maldons.

Now that the engine is out and all areas are accessible so going to give it a going over replace all exhaust studs then paint in vht enamel mat black with silver water works, decided that most of my nuts n bolts are going zinc with yellow passivate so to flow with black n gold under the dress...

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Sat May 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Peeps I need some help, I'm stripping the master cylinder for power coating/painting but I cant get the connector off ! I have checked the microfiche, its held in by a circlip which i removed but its still locked in tight and I cant budge it even with a pair of pliers :o I dont want to pull to hard incase it snaps/breaks and help on the removal would be great.

Advice please which would be better powercoat or enamel paint on the lever bracket & master cylinder?

JC120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 NC35 RC30 RC45 MC22 NXA

Post by JC120 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Did you get it sorted yet? I'm not sure what connector your talking about.
V4ia addict

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:54 pm

JC120 wrote:Did you get it sorted yet? I'm not sure what connector your talking about.
No I never did get the bit out so left it in now getting them wet painted insteadof PC. Not been on for a while juggling work and bike stuff so no time to sit around on internet :down:

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:53 pm

Heres a little update got the main bits back from powder coaters after QC-ing the stuff some had to go back along with the my next batch. Finally got most of my bits into and back from zinc platers gave him a little bit more to do. Heres a few B4 and after pics of some of the stuff that is ready.
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

RO came to my rescue when I remembered I didn't have a rear disc anymore as the old 1 was on min thickness, I placed the order monday night and I received it today along with some new pads. I planned to take tomorrow off work to start putting stuff back together. I actually finished early and made a start on the swing arm this afternoon but I hit some problems.
The retainer had been powder coated (I didn't relise it was gonna cause probs) on the inside face so it would not fit over the hub so i had to rub that down ( never rubbed powder coat down before it takes forever).
I cant get the circlip back onto the hub that holds the retainer in place, retainer wont go back far enough, started to rub down the outside face that meets the circlip still not quite back to the ali still nowhere near enough yet it looks like i may have to rub down the 2 outer faces of the swingarm (ring) that surrounds the hub just to give me some room to play with.
After all this rubbing down of the powder coat I'm going to have to repaint the bare ali so it doesnt stand out like a sore thumb. So to finish there I'm not a happy bunny this evening
Here the bits of concern.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Any tips on powder coat removal or my problem

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:20 pm

The latest is after rubbing down/removing the powder coat from both sides of the swing (just the ring) and the outside of the retainer I managed to get it all hub back togetheralong with the torque arm. My next step was the bearings, the radials went straight in no messing about. The needle however was a different kettle of fish, everything was going well till I backed of to check the depth and the facing edge of the bearing case came away from bearing after a string expletives and a cuppa I thought now have to try and removed the new knackered bearing what a mission (without the correct tools) the bearing broke up inside the swingarm leaving just the casing, cut a long story short i had to resort to grinding a split in the casing with a dremmel so I could remove it.
I'm hoping to order another 1 tomorrow form David silvers for delivery saturday and I will be having words about the other 1

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Sorry guys just got to go backwards so I can go forwards (it will all make sense after my latest is up).
When I collected my first batch of powder coating from the workshop it was all wrapped in bubble wrap, so I just paid for it, as we discussed the second batch I had brought with me. A week later as I was looking over my parts, I found a few flaws that needed to be sorted out, I photographed them and contacted the shop about my concerns. A phone call later these were going to join my 3rd batch which I was sending via courier. As you look over the pics you will be able to see the flaws and the errors....
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by carpman on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:49 pm

After last weeks fiasco with the bearing and the rubbing down, I spoke with RO on Thursday night about the bearing, I was hoping he may have 1 in stock-but no such luck. I wanted it in a hurry for the weekend, next stop David Silvers-but according to website no stock (also needed to speak with them about the failure of the one they sent me) after a hunt around on the web I found some that actually made a copy called Marksman Industrial, located in Aldershot, great I shall ring them first thing in the morning.
Marksman had the bearing in stock, so I ordered two just to make sure (a little more expensive than DS-£10.50 each +p&p), David Silvers were shocked when I told them what had happened and have requested that I take some pictures and email them to them for viewing? During Friday I collected my zinc n clear bits from the platers which will help for the starting to put things back together.
After all that messing around I did actually manage to get a little bit done over last weekend. On Saturday morning I re-associated all my silver plating back to where it belongs using my pics and the microfiche, that's done I can start getting this machine back together. I sort all the new seals for my silver painted gear, consisting of the water works and started fitting it all back on without any grief, along with a couple of the water hoses-no pics though (doh), my next step will be get the engine back in the frame.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by carpman on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.