Being led by the heart

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1990 nc30
Re: Being led by the heart

Post by carpman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Where I'm at, things were going back together nicely, sub frame, swing arm, pillion steps, partial exhaust, until I come to the steering...I put the outer shell in the top, but as I'm winding it in, a couple of chips flick off the side of the bearing opening oh brolacks (I hope this is hidden by the top yoke with the help of a bit of satin paint),
Image Ok not to bad when the top yoke is on-but would rather it didn't happen (its gonna be 1 of those niggles). Running out of stuff I can do now until I get the rest of my powder coated parts back, had the tyres refitted during the week, time to get everything else on, the front wheel brake dics on with nice ti bolts oh and here we go again more bearings. The first goes on in no probs, then its 'OMG I dont believe it!' a load of the powder coat chips off, now this looks terrible, I put in the dust seals and fit axle and spacers and relise this is defo going to be on show
I'm starting to wonder if I have gone to the wrong powder coater (if i was paying peanuts I would expect to get monkeys).
Do these things happen to everyone or have I got some suspect QC going on? Your opinions would be a great help here as this is my first serious sort of restoration work I've done and more than likely my last.

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Powedercoat is tough but not perfect. Even if you used a rubber mallet to bang the seal in, catching the PC on an edge like that I'd expect it to chip off.

Like if you get a engine cover coated and then tighten up the bolts too tight it would also crack off

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Timon wrote:Powedercoat is tough but not perfect. Even if you used a rubber mallet to bang the seal in, catching the PC on an edge like that I'd expect it to chip off.

Like if you get a engine cover coated and then tighten up the bolts too tight it would also crack off
Neither had been hit with anything thats why I queried it, the only hammer uasage was just tapping in to get started after that it was wound in with appropriate bearing press thingy ma jig (thats the offical term) even the seals were tapped in with the bearing press

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Things starting to take shape so heres a few pics, jackup kit painted n fitted, most of the parts that are missing are still at the shops
ImageImage
ImageImage
For those with a sharp eye you will see I'm still using my old shock until funds allow otherwise

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:20 am

Coming together nicely well done .
Regarding the powder coat on the front wheel at the disc mounts would remove the coat and polish the alloy
Did they mask the area where the disc seats against the wheel ?

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:26 pm

davethetrucker wrote:Coming together nicely well done .
Regarding the powder coat on the front wheel at the disc mounts would remove the coat and polish the alloy
Did they mask the area where the disc seats against the wheel ?
Yeah all the right places masked up.
I Will say this though I am a little displeased with the finish it feels lazy. If you look at the caliper openings, they have just removed the masking tape and that it, it's sand paper rough and very sticky. I would have given the the edges a rub over to smooth them down and find a pc friendly chemical to remove the tack left by the tape.
Last edited by carpman on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

tigerclaw
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by tigerclaw » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Its annoying when your effort makes me feel like I took a shortcut on mine :grin: Just kidding, beautiful job, its going to be awesome when its done. :peace:

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:38 pm

I blame other rebuild threads, after reading them I thought I can't just do that I have to do and this and so on. This started as just a few bits and pieces to do and then select snow balled very quickly.

tigerclaw
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by tigerclaw » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Sorry.... cant talk now... stripping my bike :lol: ... looking forward to the rest of your build ;)

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 am

Latest on the wheel is i have spoke with Powder coater and wheel is going back to them for adhesion tests and trip n re-coat. :grin: