Being led by the heart

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1990 nc30
Being led by the heart

Post by carpman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm not entirely sure why I’m starting this thread (maybe because my poor machine is looking like it’s been stripped naked and abandoned) but hopefully like other build threads that I have read and been inspired by it will help encourage others to have a go. I should really have started this thread when I got my bike in March 2010. She is still a work in progress and is currently undergoing some more upgrades and work which are mounting up fast.
A quick question for all the readers where do want me to start? At the beginning or start from current works I do have some pics in the original condition and a few of prior work done.

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Being led by the heart

Post by carpman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 pm

I’ve never done anything like a running commentary on works before but here goes, here is the history: - when I bought this bike she was in need of some TLC the body work had been badly stripped of its colours (Castrol) and paint was flat

As I knew very little about bikes, I didn’t want to play with the mechanics (if it isn’t broke don’t try and fix it) she was running fine so I left well alone. A few months past just spent riding and getting used to bike as you do. I bought myself a Haynes manual for future reference I knew it wasn’t going to be long before I wanted to play, time to hunt round for Honda 400 forums low and behold I find what I’m looking for 400gb forum full of info pics and hopefully friendly peeps.
Time for a change got fed up with looking at what looked like a dirty bike even after it was cleaned, time for a coat of paint as money was tight I decided I would do this with rattle cans in my garden (anything is got to be better than it is) after having a little look around at paint schemes I decide on a red white and blue sort of thing with black db screen this is how she ended up that will do for now didn’t paint tank I don’t know why….

The first upgrade she got I was forced into by my own stupidity and that was harris clip-ons and bars after I broke 1 of the original ones.
My internal work/mods started with converting the fascia’s in the clocks from black to white I liked the look. The headlight bulb conversion was next as the lights were useless, getting ready for my first winter.
Mar 2011 saw my next bit of work the chain was knackered so it had to go, New chain and sprockets fitted 14f 40r and a gold 525 on advice from another member on here, also been reading about good upgrades so forks was next. Mid-year called for a service while trying to undo the sump bolt I cracked the sump and that just created more problems exhaust off snapped studs. Summer comes and goes without any more headaches. Many of you won’t like my next move and that was the Tyga rc211 body kit (sprayed in white again with rattle cans just to protect panels) (no I’m not a boy racer lol) just like the look.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I forgot until i was looking at the pics about some other upgrades they were braded Hel lines f & r and shes now wearing a set of SES adjustable rear sets
Last edited by carpman on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Next up Camo’s guide to carbs rejetted drilled and 1mm shims fitted, this created a few problems that got me buying more tools (any excuse) carbs were balanced problem sorted.
May last year saw more work having to be done, I was prepping bike for mot and Mayday run and discovered problems with my front discs in short the bobbins had rotted away keeping the bike off the road until I sourced some new 1s and a full rebuild on the front brakes with a gold paint job.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 pm

That brings me to my current works, I have smelt petrol for a long time now especially after a ride, after a bit of investigating I found it I think only a small leak but a leak never the less (its dripping slowly from the drain and what looks to be the bottom of the float bowl quick easy-ish job) and I’m going to get a repair kit for the fuel tank tap as well just to make sure it’s not fuelling the carbs after I stop riding. She needs a little filling on the front fairing after some arse knock it of its stand while parked up and a spray to tidy her up again. While the fairing was off I noticed how bad the corrosion had got on the exhaust collars ok now this is a little more challenging as I don’t know a welder that’s local, while hunting around and reading different threads on rebuilds I find out member RCV4 is a top welder that does the collars and is very reasonable so after a few PM’s with Chad my exhaust is on its way to him for new collars. While draining the tank to do a fuel tap rebuild I somehow manage to drop it and it hits a beam in my garden putting a little dent in the os front corner so now even more work to do. Heres some before and afters of the exhaust, I will add a close up of the new collars
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

While carbs were off I checked the float heights only had to adjust 2 a little bit, gave the bowls, top comp/ needle covers a clean replacing the seals along the way, still need to clean the choke/shaft starter link and replace the its seal

I must remember to take pics, will take some more tomorrow of the other stuff

rcv4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2xnc30 nc35 rd200 xt500 dt250

Post by rcv4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 pm

its looking good Dan,once you start tinkering the finish line get further away.

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:47 am

rcv4 wrote:its looking good Dan,once you start tinkering the finish line get further away.
Yeap, I keep looking down the tunnel but I cant see no light.....

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:54 am

Took some pics lastnight of some of the goodies that have arrived but they came out looking like grabage (cant stand jpegs). will try again tonight.

The exhaust, rads, carbs tank, and fairing are all off I start thinking about the aesthetics after reading other build threads especially Timon (he is a bad influence) but if I do any more I’m never going to be ready for Mayday run next thing I know is the front end is of loads of brackets and screw bolts are in a bucket for a local plater oh well now I’ve started something there’s no going back.

Here is my to-do list so far. Front to rear

Front fairing damage, fill and spray white
Front wheel, powder coat HRC gold
Forks, new seals
Fork lowers, powder coat satin black
Fork stations, check for damage as seals on ns leaking possible
Re-chrome,
Clock mounts, strip form zinc plating
Switch gear, faded badly rejuvenate
Rads, rejuvenate/replace
Hoses, replace
Hose clips, replace
Thermostat housing, clean zinc plate or spray
Water pump housing, clean zinc plate or spray
Fuel tank, fill and spray white
Frame, repair loose fixing and powder coat satin black
Loom, check and re-tape
Shims, measure and replace
Sump, clean zinc plate or spray
Engine, remove clean spray
Swingarm, powder coat satin black
Sub frame, powder coat satin black
Rear brake servo, service spray / zinc plate
Pillion steps, powder coat satin black /zinc plate
Rear axle and ass parts, zinc plate/ powder coat
Rear brake caliper, overhaul spray/powder coat
Rear caliper bracket, powder coat
Exhaust works, new collars, paint, and polish
Exhaust hanger, powder coat satin black

All relevant brackets n bolts clean and zinc plate

If I powder coat rear caliper I will do the same for front (Gold)

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 pm

B4 I get started on this weekends episode here are some pics I was going to post. This is where it all started
ImageImage
ImageImage

Just a peek at some of the news bits
ImageImage
ImageImage
a little trick stuff ;)

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 pm

I think I'm getting carried away with it now :pray: this how she looked before I started yesterday,

Spent 12 hours in the garden stripping her back even more, engine's now on a block of wood, swingarm is nearly stripped (had to take to a shop for needle bearing removal) should pick up tomorrow, it’s now starting to look overwhelming with all the bits in ladled bags (bundles of photos been taken so i can figure out what goes where :whistle:)
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

carpman
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by carpman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Off to the powder coaters Friday and the is whats going....
ImageImage
Wheels and brake calipers are going hrc gold everything else is going satin black.