Bens 2014 Race Bike

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 94 Fzr 400 3TJ ZXR400 Racer
Bens 2014 Race Bike

Post by ChowderV4 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:11 pm

After a great first season which i experienced every up and down possible its time to get to work for next year. With 2014 on its way i plan to have a bike that fully prepped and ready for the season :grin:

So within 3 days of coming back from thruxton the bike looked like this

My plan is to strip the bike completely and go through every component making sure everything is working, replaced or upgraded and set up perfect for the start of the season.

So after a little while i was left with a pile of parts, first was to strip the carbs and note downs all the settings, i was happy to find all jets and pilot screws etc were all the same which is a good start! First on the list was a new shock as racing on the standard shock just isn't smart!

I decided to strip the frame and swinger to give a it a different look, plus it saves getting gravel rashed paint and making it look crap after a crash.
I've gone on a weight binge and chopped off any unnecessary lugs and mounts off the swingarm and subframe too.

After fighting crap brakes all season im glad i stripped the calipers as they were horrible! Also gave them a fresh coat of paint to make them look a bit fresher. :smile:

Once the engine was out i gave it a good degrease (not quite finished yet) and valve clearance which is all finished.
I need to make up some oil cooler blanking plates and get it sorted for total loss but thats being put aside as i hate electrics!!!

My lovely professional workshop :lol:

Picked up this bad boy for £30! gsxr750 shock with hyperpro spring very slight modding at it was a perfect fit, and i now have full adjust ability.

Also picked up some stick coils to upgrade and also sheds a little weight too ;)

And here it is in its current state, a lot of work to do but at least it kinda looks like a bike now.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: Bens 2014 Race Bike

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:06 pm

I like the wording/logo on the nosecone in your pic showing your workshop, gave me a chuckle :lol:

Those calipers look a hell of a lot better with a spot of paint as well.

What else have you got planned for it?

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ChowderV4 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 pm

haha yep that was my paintscheme for half the season :)

Next is ram air, strip the loom to total loss, make a custom rear brake/spacer to take small caliper and relocate it to the top of the swingarm.
New bodywork + paint.
QA throttle
possibly respray wheels
New clutch, oil, plugs etc
Chain and lots of sprockets

and im sure ive forgotten something.

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:41 am

Looking good Ben.

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 am

Are you going to do any races in the Bemsee championship next year?

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ChowderV4 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 pm

If the funds allow it i'd like to do one, probably snett or brands gp, but it all depends on how saving goes as im committing to a full season with NG

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ChowderV4 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:30 pm

After reading StrayAliens race bike build i got inspired and started to mock up a template for a custom undertray/batterybox

Due to fitting the gsxr shock i had to cut out the brace that the battery box orginally sat on, but this will be rewelded on once everything is all measured up.

Heres my lovely cereal box template so far.

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ChowderV4 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 pm

got the ali sheet this afternoon, set about measuring and cutting it up, will take it to work tomorrow to finish all the bends and make a start on the battery box :)

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ChowderV4 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:03 pm

So i decided to get the engine back in the frame and fit the subframe, unfortunately the undertray is too flexible and there are clearance issues so i've had to revert back to the standard undertray.

Had a little more spare time so i decided to get the exhaust back to its former glory, some wet&dry and a lot of scrubbing got it from this.

to this :)

Got another set of supercorsa's ready for next season, get em while they are cheap i say!!

I just got a nice sized offcut of alcantara so im going to have a go at recovering my seat tomorrow, i'll post the end result when its done :peace:

heres the before shot anyway.

I've got a week off next week so hopefully will be getting a lot more done, oil cooler blanking plates, removing charging gear & system, caliper rebuild and much more :peace:

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ChowderV4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Here is the after of the seat. Really pleased with the result, turned out much better than expected :)