NC35 Project Bike: Going to be a long few months!

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR1000RR, RVF400
Re: NC35 Project Bike: Going to be a long few months!

Post by SteveNC35 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Change of plugs, whacked some fuel in the tank and nothing happened. My house mate and I scratched our heads for a while, then decided to see if the bike was actually receiving fuel. Turns out it wasn't as the vacuum line on the fuel tap was stuffed. So we got a funnel and jerry can to pour the fuel down the carby line AND IT STARTED! I don't think I've ever been this happy. Sounded beautiful for a bike that hasn't been started in nearly 18 months! Next is to reinstall the rear shock and fix the front end so it's easy to move around. Going to source a new fuel tap assembly and probably a new fuel tank (this one is all dented). Also need to source controls (clutch lever/cable, throttle grip/cable).

Gimly56
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR400RR

Post by Gimly56 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Good work!! I know exactly how you feel...... so nice to know your bike actually goes huh?!

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:29 pm

It's like having multiple birthdays, winning the lottery and that sigh of relief when you remember your partners anniversary.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 am

Good work mate that would be rewarding!
SteveNC35 wrote:Going to source a new fuel tap assembly and probably a new fuel tank (this one is all dented). Also need to source controls (clutch lever/cable, throttle grip/cable).
Rick Oliver sells fuel tap internals (diaphram etc, ask him if unsure) if it's just the insides you're after.

I probably have a few of those other parts lying around, can take a look next weekend if you want. Would only be after the cost of postage if I do.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:43 am

That would be awesome, definitely keen to take you up on that offer! Have also emailed Rick about getting new internals, just waiting for a reply now.

Progress wise, the original shock is now back in the bike, however I'm fairly sure it's rooted as upon returning it makes a rather obvious sucking sound. What are some good aftermarket performance shocks worth looking at? I've heard Nitron thrown around a few times, any other recommendations?

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Do a search on here for rear shocks. There must be a thread or two about it. Nitron are uber expensive! (I still haven't figured out why yet??) A few guys on here have upgraded the shock from a 600cc bike or a newer model bike. Your main problem if you change the shock will be clearance for the shock linkage on the swing arm I believe?

Let us know what you decide to do and post pics'!

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I have the CBR600 shock already but it needs to be sprung (and the sub-frame needs to be modded). Because I'm young and vain, I'm likely to be going with a TYGA RCV kit which would get around having to mod the subframe as far as I'm aware (the TYGA replacement subframe is a lot more roomy apparently). Considering the Nitron after doing a few searches here though, people seem to like them a lot. Going to have to have a long think! For now, the stock shock is in and at least acts as a way to move the bike around whilst I make up my mind.

Speaking of suspension, finally got around to fixing the front end.

Before:

After:

Also have ordered a rebuilt kit for the fuel tap from Rick O (Very professional and polite guy to deal with, highly recommended). In addition, I've sourced a replacement top rad. Thinking of going samco hoses as well, the old rubber is... Well, old!

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 am

Big update time!

Fuel Tap rebuild came on Friday, turns out I didn't actually need it. Using a straw connected to the vacuum line the fuel taps works fine (at least I've got spare parts now).

Fitted the rear guard and put the radiators back on to test the bike properly with running fuel. The end result was staying up all hours of last night to achieve this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JuViEa3 ... e=youtu.be
I'm pretty sure our neighbors officially hate me now.

Gimly56
Reactions:

Post by Gimly56 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 am

Wow they certainly sound a lot different to the CBRs'! Nice though. Good work.

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 am

Cheers! Next step is to work on getting the loom re-routed. The carbies have to be removed for this and I have managed to source spare rubbers just incase I fudge it. After that, need to source the rubber mount for the front of the tank and possibly a new tank as well (suspicion that the one I have is bent completely out of wack).