NC35 Project Bike: Going to be a long few months!

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR1000RR, RVF400
NC35 Project Bike: Going to be a long few months!

Post by SteveNC35 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 am

So after a ton of drama last night (Including the bike nearly falling off the trailer on the way home!), finally got her home and took a bunch of pictures before sinking right into it. The previous owner had purchased this pretty much as is back in December last year with intentions of turning the bike into a track machine. He had run out of money and wanted to return to Western Australia so he advertised the bike for $2500AU, I talked him down to $2000AU. For $2000AU I got the bike, two boxes of random parts, the complete tail section and a rear stand that only half fits the rear axel.

It's missing quite a few parts but not an insane amount of parts. Off the top of my head after an initial inspection the following major items are missing:

-Front and mid fairings
-Tank cap
-Full handlebar clutch assembly and clutch cable
-Front brake lever assembly (master cylinder, reservoir)
-Throttle

In addition, there are a number of parts on the bike that need replacing. The brakets on the top radiator have been snapped off, the radiator hoses seem rather dodgy. There's a large amount of rust on a number of bolts. And to top it off, the numbskull had left the lower tripple clamp loose and removed the front wheel spaces for easier servicing at the time, but mad it impossible to move (my mate and I literally carried the bloody thing onto the trailer and off the trailer).

This morning, we jacked the bike up and put the spacers back in so we could at least move it. We then had a better inspection of the bike. The previous owner had installed a cbr600 shock and also supplied us with the original shock (which is awesome because in order to get a road worthy certificate, the bike needs to be stock to my knowledge, if anyone here is from Victoria it'd be awesome to know more about this). We decided to strip the bike but only got as far as getting the wiring loom out before I had to go to work.

Will update with pictures tomorrow, my internet is dying right now.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Re: NC35 Project Bike: Going to be a long few months!

Post by Cammo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Sounds like you got yourself a bargain there mate, that's a good price. You won't have any trouble sourcing those parts second hand.

Get some pics up!

SteveNC35 wrote:The previous owner had installed a cbr600 shock and also supplied us with the original shock (which is awesome because in order to get a road worthy certificate, the bike needs to be stock to my knowledge, if anyone here is from Victoria it'd be awesome to know more about this).
Not true, you won't have any trouble getting the bike passed with the cbr shock (I hope he changed the spring - CBR spring is way too soft for an rvf). Officially, you're supposed to have an an engineers certificate if any changes to the bike are made, but no garage will realise it's not the original shock (nor will they care).
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 am

Finally some images!

Bit rough around the edges but it's mostly there. Exhaust pipe on the left hand side (don't have images at the moment) is really scratched (probably went over at some point). I'm having a b**** of a time because the original owner had the harness in wrong so I removed it and now I can't get it back in (water pump is in the way and I'm not too sure how to get it out of the way). To top it off, the rear ignition coil and the regulator need to be grounded to the subframe which can't be installed without being modified due to the CBR shock. Also, the part that needs to be modified is actually the grounding plate for the rear ignition coil so I'm at a bit of a loss what to do right now as I can't start it. Regardless, loving it already. Love how short the wheel base is!

EDIT: Unsure about whether or not the shock has been re-sprung. How do you check for it? I'm rather green when it comes to this stuff.

davlr
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 35 23 APRILIA RS!

Post by davlr » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 am

The clip-on arrangement is a bit of an odd set up.

Had to laugh, the spitting image of that bike in that stripped down state, down to the cbr shock is in my kitchen, missing pretty much the same things.

I imagine that the spring on that shock is original, since its still yellow, obviously unless it was swapped with a yellow one.

thutchoo
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35

Post by thutchoo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:08 am

Clip ons should be below top yoke, and the forks moved back through

Looks like a good base, as said before the shock should at least be resprung, probably best putting the standard back on if its in ok condition

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cammo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 am

As said above, I'd be replacing that shock with the standard unit - it will work better than the cbr shock with standard spring - forget cutting the subframe.

The loom is difficult to get past the thermostat area, but it can be installed. I'd be removing the carbs though, much easier then.

The work will be worth the effort.

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 am

Pulled out the cbr shock today with no dramas. Unfortunately the person who installed the shock didn't put spacers in the top bracket (head of the cbr shock is slightly thinner) and just tightened it until the sides of the bracket bent in. Going to go into work tomorrow to see if we have one floating around.

Plugged in the harness today (just draped over the bike for now, waiting on gaskets to come before I rip the carbies off) and plugged in the battery. Nothing. Went over everything and found the rear indicator terminals shorting which I'm pretty sure has screwed my battery (charging it up tonight and trying again tomorrow). Plugged in the headlights, got a dim light (flat battery) so at least that part of the circuit is working.

Oh, and the subframe went back on. Looks like a bike now :P

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 am

Tried starting it this morning. Starter rely ticked over but that's it. Gave the starter motor a light bash with a ratchet just incase it was having a little bit of a hard time moving but still nothing. Any ideas?

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cammo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 am

What voltage does the battery have?

SteveNC35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SteveNC35 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:52 am

13.5v-13.7v. Normal range.