Sams' cheap NC30 rebuild!

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 VFR400
Sams' cheap NC30 rebuild!

Post by Sam-NI » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Just realised I haven't got a build thread on here!

Bought the Bike for £800 in April 2011, before I'd pased my test.

Not totally terrbile, but looked a bit rough, and ran a bit rough. Was fitted with some original panels, and some Chinese, but that guy through in a mystery box with the sale.

Badly painted inspection panels, lowers, and a Chinese front mudguard!

Passed my test, and this is where the problems started!

I had charging problems, which were finally found out to be a bad battery, and dodgy wiring.

Then Viper_Biker showed me how to balance carbs! World of difference, the next week I did it on my mates NC30, he was almost as delighted as me.

After that was sorted, my mate ran into the back of me! Not too much damage, and only to chinese panels.

Someone then tried to steal it! But didn't make much of an effort, and tipped it over out of pure scumbag badness.

Then it was over heating problems. I didn't know why, the rads looked in good enough condition. :whistle:

I flushed the system, I soaked the rads in everything to clean them, I even Ultrasonically cleaned them. Nothing worked. Except £100 Chinese Rads.

Bargain at £100 IMO.
Me? The 13th Duke of Wymbourne, Here? In a French maids finishing school? At 3 O'clock in the morning? With my reputation?

BINGEAU!

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Sams' cheap NC30 rebuild!

Post by Sam-NI » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 pm

I then went out for a ride on the thing! A proper ride, not just a commute to work or a quick spin. I'd recently passed my car test, and I was so glad to get back onto the bike!

It didn't last long. I hit something (rabbit, bird, who cares) and it smashed the lower fairings.

I popped her up in the stands in the garage, and though its time to get those original honda panels sorted, and a wee winter refresh.

I had a leak. Oil. Could not find it anywhere. I steam cleaned the whole engine. Couldn't see it. Checked all the usual places, and then found this.

A second hand clutch cover was found. (Cheers Rhory)

I then decided to run the car over the winter, and really get stuck in. A new rear frame was bought (cheers again Rhory) as mine seemed to be a bit bent, and a cheap set of original honda seat panels, with all the lugs got for £30!

Most of the usual seals and filters have been changed, and all bar one of the panels are prepped for paint.

This is the last photo I have of it.

Forks are out, ready to be rebuilt, and what I believe to be a Yamamoto half system is on its way to me as I type.

I'm going to stop hiding in the warm house now, and go and finish off this panel!
Me? The 13th Duke of Wymbourne, Here? In a French maids finishing school? At 3 O'clock in the morning? With my reputation?

BINGEAU!

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm

:popcorn: Oooh I love a good build thread. Expecting lots of updates and fancy nonsense from the Norn crowd.....

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Sam-NI » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:41 pm

Shiny half system!

Getting the rear wheel off tomorrow, and hopefully the hub, and maybe get round to doing the valve clearances!

And looks like i've found a local powdercoaters that isn't stupid money!

BINGEAU!

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Sam-NI » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Wheels at the powdercoaters, panels at the painters!

BINGEAU!

vic-vtrvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 x4, VTR1000 Firestorm

Post by vic-vtrvfr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:24 am

Cool!
Are you going for the OKI scheme?
Who's doing your painting?

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Sam-NI » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Yep, going for the OKI scheme. A guy called Matt that Rhory knows is doing it. Getting it into primer, then we'll spend some time getting the lines of it right, as its an RC45 paint job on a 30, and it can end up looking a bit wrong.

BINGEAU!

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Sam-NI » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Tatty wheels

Coated wheels!

And one with flash!

BINGEAU!

vic-vtrvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 x4, VTR1000 Firestorm

Post by vic-vtrvfr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Looks great!
Did they increase price for non standard colour?

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Sam-NI » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

It was some powder left from another job. It was apparently an interior coating, so they clear powdercoated over it. They did the pair for £100.

BINGEAU!