Zippy's RVF/VFR/RVF#2

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Zippy's RVF/VFR/RVF#2

Post by Zippy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm

I bought my RVF at the begining of April 2009. it was only £1700 which back then was by far the cheapest one I could find. It was local to me as well as it was only just outside Tunbridge Wells.

I was fairly happy with it in general but there was a few majour things that just niggled me. It handled like a bag o shite as the susspension was worn out and knackered and it juddered badly under heavy breaking. Not to mention the front tyre was hitting the V piece when braking. It had Chinesse fairings on it that were ok from a few feet away but not great up close. It also had no air scoops either and just looked a bit rough round the edges.

It had obviously done a few trackdays as the guys I bought it off had a shed full of racebikes and used bodywork. The exhaust was a bit bashed and it had a Fireblade end can on it instead of a standard can.

Well I rode it for a few months and then decided I'd take it off the road and just resotre it over the winter ready for the start of the following year. Well as is normally the way life got in the way. I started my own business and got busy throwing myself into that. Well the RVF got a little neglected so I moved it into my workshop at work and decided to spend a couple of hours each evening doing little bits and bobs to it. I removed the scabby end can and exhaust and through a contact through here got a new set refurbed as good as new (thanks Lyndon).

They went from this

To this

Bolted them on with new clamps gaskets, studs and bolts. Bought a set of the early Chinesse radiators for about 5 times what they cost these days, got some samco hoses and clips and it was starting to look quite nice again.

Decided I was going to get a set of original body panels and Speedy came to the rescue with a full set of original RR panels. Unfortunately these got damaged on the way back to my house in the van when the bike fell over. Gutted didn't even come close. Once the bike was back home and up on the work bench I discovered that the lower fairing panels wouldn't fit round the new radiators so they had to go.

About this time I split with the wife so found I had a lot more time on my hands so decided I wanted another 400 I could actually use while the RVF was being restored. So along came Kris's VFR

This really invigorated me to get my RVF finished once and for all. It was at this time that I got to know Tony (Drunkn Munky) whose help in the last couple on months has been invaluble (thanks mate). At present the bike looks like this with loads of parts going off to be blasted and zinc'd, painted or powdered.

However the RVF story isn't finsihed yet as it's going to be a bit different colour wise to any other RVF you've seen. Here's a small glimpse

I'll be updating this thread in the coming days and weeks as the build is actually not that far from being finished.
Last edited by Zippy on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

marcus57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30, nc35, gsxr750
Re: Zippy's RVF

Post by marcus57 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Sounds interesting , look forward to the updates

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I wondered where your build thread was, ill be looking forward to seeing the updates. I have a hunch what the colour scheme might be too ;)

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 pm

It's a secret Kieran lol

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Watching :up:

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Jeez, there's pressure right there lol

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 pm

The seat is now at SmartRRR's getting a nice mid grey alcantara covering put on. I spoke to the Marty who runs the company today and he said the seat was in good condition but that he'd put a thin layer of foam over the existing foam to give it an even layer throughout. The seat on my OKI bike has the same covering so I'm looking forward to getting it back and showing you guys.

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Tim400GB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Any updates Zippy? Got the engine out yet?

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Funny you should ask that.

Just had all these parts coated by Tim, thank you very much Sir. Bar the top yoke and the clock holder which are getting painted, they're all now off to get a jolly good coating in zinc.

But no the engine won't come out for a while, I've had the bike for 4 years and only ridden it for 3 of those months. I'm going to spend the summer riding it and then pop the engine out over the winter and finish the job, or maybe the year after :grin:
Last edited by Zippy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Tim400GB » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:22 pm

No problem, glad you're happy with it all.

Still think you should get the motor out. Much easier to clean everything and do the valve clearances.
You'll be glad you did once its finished