Bikemonkey's NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Bikemonkey's NC30

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 pm

With Christmas done and dusted by 3 o clock today I got some more stuff done to the bike.

Oil and filter change, where I unfortunately blocked the hole in my oil can with the sump bolt and quite a bit of oil went on the garage floor :?

Plus I fitted my GSXR alternator conversion before re-filling the oil :up:

After oil was drained and filter changed I got the bike into sixth and took off the alternator cover, which had no gasket, just a huge dollop of sealant :o

And then went to disconnect the stator wiring and found that I needed some wire cutters to do so :down:
It looks like the entire charging systems blown/been messed about with before, because the reg/rec is a big aftermarket finned one, the stator/stator wiring has been changed/bodged and the battery I got the bike with was fucked.

After discovering that bodge it was onto getting the stator off. Absolute pig it was. Jammed the rear wheel with plenty of 2x1, had the bike in 6th and stood one foot on the rear brake one on the floor with the bike on it's side stand and went at it with my breaker bar.

Luckily it came off without needing heating etc.

Then got my huge bolt to wind the flywheel off with to find that I didn't have a spanner that fit it.......but Dad's plumbing box came to the rescue :peace:

Stator came off easily. Anyone else notice that the whole alternator arrangement smells a bit funny?

Replaced the heavy as flywheel with the new lightweight GSXR one :grin:

Then on with the gasket and cover etc, where I learnt that without a bit of gasket goo to hold the gasket in place, gaskets are a pain in the arse to get on flat and proper.....

Then I routed the generator writing up the left hand side of the bike using a 3 pin plug I had previously for the rear brake light I made, and taped up the loom where the wiring went originally.

That's tonight's work done and I've stuck the bike onto my new headstock stand ready for tomorrow when I'll be stripping it down to get the valve clearances done and take the carbs apart for inspecting and sorting :peace:

Plus a couple of whoring pictures :grin:

Last edited by bikemonkey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Top project this, thanks for sharing.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Is that Headstock Stand from that German company on ebay. Best £40 i've spent I think. (with the possible exception of that lady once in amsterdam of course lol)

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:42 am

I'm liking the stealth Samco hoses! I was thinking of getting black for my Ducati. Thanks for helping me decide!!

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:03 am

jim157 wrote:Top project this, thanks for sharing.
Zippy wrote:Is that Headstock Stand from that German company on ebay. Best £40 i've spent I think. (with the possible exception of that lady once in amsterdam of course lol)
Yes, yes it is ;) It's a great piece of kit, especially considering how inexpensive it was.
vfrman wrote:I'm liking the stealth Samco hoses! I was thinking of getting black for my Ducati. Thanks for helping me decide!!
No worries, never liked coloured hoses, just didn't look right to me.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Today saw some more history of my bike surface.....

Firstly it was off with the front wheel and mudguard, where the mudguard is red on the bottom but black on the top. Lazy sprayer?

Next onto getting the carbs off, where the throttle return cable adjuster snapped :x
So I'll be getting a new return cable then.
Took the carb rubbers off too, and unfortunately I seem to have lost the restrictor washers, what a shame :twisted:

The carbs brought about some strange findings and some good ones too.
Firstly there was a mix of screws in this cover

Then getting the float bowl covers off one by one and taking out the main jet, pilot jet and emulsion tubes I found that every pilot jet was a Keihn 38 and every main jet a Keihn 124. The emulsion tubes were in the right carbs though :peace:
Also had trouble getting one of the float bowls off due to a very soft screw head which got shredded getting it out, but thankfully it did come out or I'd be tearing my hair out!
Plus the pilot screws were a bit out of whack so I set them all to 2.25 turns out.

After that discovery I opened up the slides and found that each needle had 2 washers underneath and each slide looked like it had been drilled/widened crudely before.....

Here's my finding in all the carbs, excuse my terrible handwriting.

Onto the dreaded valve clearances I went, armed with feeler gauges, digital verniers, sockets, extendable magnet thing and kitchen roll :grin:
Did the rear ones first, piece of cake, only two out of spec and only one shim needed for the rear. I'll play swapsies with the shims when the new one arrives.

The front cylinders were next. Had to drain the coolant and remove the top radiator get to access, but it was still really fiddly.
Only one shim out of spec on the front, which I was very pleased about :grin:

So in total 2 shims to order along with a new throttle return cable, pilot and main jets, plus float chamber gaskets and an allen screw kit all from Rick O.
Might get a HRC header bottle and his road needles too, but we shall see.

All I need to do now is e-mail Rick O and wait for stuff to arrive :peace:

EDIT: Sent my e-mail to Rick O, hope he replies soonish, I feel the need to ride my bike again :(

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Great progress mate.

Those carb settings would have been well out, your bike will thank you for putting things right.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

CBRConnor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc29

Post by CBRConnor » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:14 am

**Took the carb rubbers o :whistle: ff too, and unfortunately I seem to have lost the restrictor washers, what a shame**

Lol bikemonkey really liked this statement some :down: how the same happened to my nc29 I don't know where they disappered to :roll: lol they just hide

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

"They grew little legs and walked off Officer! I swear!"

:grin:

CBRConnor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter