Bikemonkey's NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Bikemonkey's NC30

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 pm

With a few days off work and unfortunately for my Dad not having any work until January, I've had the garage to myself the past couple of days and will do until he gets some work.

Stripped the bike of it's bodywork and loosened off the wheel and hub nut on Monday morning.

Then yesterday started taking the exhaust, rear-sets and rear-end apart.

The back wheel came off really easily as the axle was caked in copper slip, thankyou last person who took it off :up:

Then it was off with the chain, which has a split link where the clip went missing in the last 100 miles :o
So I've ordered a new split link....

Off with the sprocket, rear brake and gubbins

And out with the axle and hub adjuster, which needed a good smack with a mallet as it was stuck tight, the stones I found in the swingarm might have something to do with that.....

Seeing as I couldn't get the swingarm off as I don't have a 27mm socket I turned my attention to the rear brake caliper. The damn brake line was stuck in really hard, so I took out the brake line with the adapter left in. The adapter was persuaded out with a socket and a breaker bar :grin:

The caliper was pretty easy to clean up, a small brass wire wheel for the seal grooves and fine wire wool to clean off the crap on the outside, then keyed up with some rough sandpaper and masked off.

Last thing yesterday was the RHS rear-set and master-cylinder. New brake lever and footrest bracket with everything cleaned up and lightly polished.

Today's work was mainly in my parts washer :grin:

Dad's girlfriend moved in a few weeks ago, so we'll see what she's really like when she see's the kitchen later.....

Shock and linkage were a bitch to get apart, ended up with me and my dad standing on a breaker bar each to get this undone

Then the shock was cleaned up along with this lot in the parts washer, and a NC35 linkage cleaned greased and fitted ready.

The sprocket and it's carrier came out really well, look like new.

Then it was onto spraying up the caliper and rear disc. Seeing as it's cold outside and even I think it'd be a bad idea to spray inside the house I had to improvise with a heater......

The gold looks really good on both caliper and disc, covered amazingly well in only 3 light coats. They'll be going in the oven tomorrow for a bake while Dad's GF is at work :whistle:

I'm just waiting on a friend to borrow a 27mm socket for me from his work then I can crack on :peace:

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm

:lol: I take it dads girlfriend was out whilst the parts washer was in operation

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Haha yeah she was :grin:

She noticed, the sink bowl has got some dirty black marks in it, don't know where they came from though :whistle:

Got that socket too, so swingarm out tomorrow morning :up: But only have the morning to work on the bike, so won't get a lot done :down:

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm

What's going on with that linkage bolt in the picture :o as well as a 27mm socket you'll need a castellated socket and a Allen key 14mm I think ? To remove the swinging arm pivot bolt to get the arm out of the frame you'll be amazed at the amount of gunge around the frame swinging arm pivot area that builds up over the years should keep you busy. :lol:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Got the castellated socket and the allen key :peace:

From the gunge on the swingarm alone I can see that I'll need a fair bit of de-greaser and a fair few scrubbing brushes :grin:

mo haggs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: bikeless

Post by mo haggs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Must say im a bit disapointed - i thought "dads new girlfriend" WAS the parts washer. :scare:
vic-vtrvfr wrote:they're like rocking horse poo with sprinkles of unicorn horn on top.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:14 am

mo haggs wrote:Must say im a bit disapointed - i thought "dads new girlfriend" WAS the parts washer. :scare:
Hahahahha, no unfortunately not :(

I tried getting my GF to help, but as soon as she saw "black gungy stuff" she ran a mile.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Yesterday mornings work included sticking the rear disc and caliper in the oven for a bake, removing the swingarm and giving it a bath :grin:

Ignore the dirty oven :whistle:

Dirty swingarm and rear end, yucky.

Wheelbarrow, Morrisons Citrus Burst, a toothbrush and a few kettles of boiling water ;)

And this was the outcome, much cleaner.

Was going to take the chain runner off, but it broke my best screwdriver :(

Yesterday nights work was putting the caliper back together, fresh seals, boots, cleaned pistons, new bleed screw and plenty of rubber grease and copper slip :up:

Today after work and buying my dad a new washing up bowl and liquid.....

Swingarm drilled and filed. Getting the clear tubing through was a pig even with heating it with boiling water. In the end I got some wire out the garage and fed it through and tied one end to the swinger and forced the tubing through the swingarm with much swearing, sweating and grunting.

Then I got it up to my room where I started feeding the brake line through, which wasn't easy but made possible with a good bit of grease and brute force :peace:

Onto rebuilding what I can of the swinger. Must remember only the brake stuff is torqued up.......

Really happy with how it's going back together, the circlip was a pig but I defeated it with a flathead screwdriver and more muscle ;)

It's not going to be a show winner, but it still looks a million times better already although I wish I had a nice shiny new shock to put back in it :(

If anyone feels sorry for the swingarms fate of having a manky old shock put in it, please donate to bikemonkey's Nitron Sport fund :up: :grin:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Yesterday morning and last nights work all depended on our lovely postwoman and thankfully she delivered all 3 packages :grin:

Was waiting for a new linkage bolt, the one which joins the triangle to the swinger as I had ruined the thread whilst hitting it to get it out :whistle:

Before she came in the horrid weather I got the chain cleaned up, can't put a dirty chain on a clean sprocket! And cleaned the rear end off. I swear Morrisons Citrus Burst is better than all this special de-greaser stuff you can buy.

Then after postie brought me a shiny new bolt and some other stuff I managed to get the swinger and shock back in and torqued before work. Plus got the chain back on too after a little fiddling getting it round the front sprocket. (Couldn't be arsed to take the cover off)

Then after work it was back on with the back wheel shortly so I could get the abba stand back onto the normal mounts to fit the rearsets back on. Replaced the gear link rod with a titanium one, fitted the rear brake line back onto the M/C and bled up the rear brake. Bleeding the rear brake was an absolute doddle compared to the front.

How I bleed the brakes is using the syringe to push some fluid up through the system first then taking out the plunger and bleeding the rest the traditional way :peace:

After I realised I still had loads of time left after the rear brake took less than 10 minutes to bleed I cracked on getting the new exhaust on :grin:

Shiny shiny :grin:
Oh and it sounds great too :P

Finally I torqued up all the remaining bolts which went easier than I thought. Just left the bike on the stand and had my dad stand on the rear brake :up:

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, will get some better ones when I've finished doing everything.

After Christmas will be valve clearances, carb cleaning and re-jetting and fitting my GSXR alternator. No point putting the bodywork back on so she sits in the garage naked for the time being.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 am

Awesome work dude. Gives me a sad that my bike is sat in the garage with no love...

I feel a wanted post coming on..!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate