Bikemonkey's NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Bikemonkey's NC30

Post by bikemonkey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks guys :rocks:

Thanks for the tip on the white paint, I'll get some masonry paint :up:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 pm

So long time no post!

I've been fairly busy settling in to my new home and workplace, messing about with other bikes motorised and man-powered and generally realising I have to save for a house. The latter of which has put a dampener on spending with regards to motorcycles....

I managed to get the garage painted in brilliant white, and got some rechargeable lights from screwfix, which has transformed the dark dingy thing into somewhere I don't mind working.

Before

After

And today

Unfortunately the CB750F's have had to be moved on. Well the complete one has gone, the one in bits just has less bits now...

I bought a 1990 VFR750F for the road after selling the XJ900F. I don't have any recent pictures of it as it looks like a bag of shite and has more bodge jobs on it than I have had hot dinners, but that's another story.

Also unfortunately the grey mountain bike in the second picture was stolen off the roof of my car earlier in January. Scumbags.

And finally I'm now sharing my garage with a car mad mate as garages are hard to come by here. Hence the car seats and huge boxes full of car cleaning stuff. The MTB on the left is also his, so as you can see it's getting pretty busy in there!

I haven't posted anything on the bike in a while as it's been pretty faultless, and I don't think people are interested in seeing oil changes!

However it developed a nasty misfire while on track yesterday which would not go away, despite changing the plugs about and giving it a once over.
Whilst not a day-ender it was very annoying, so after finishing work ridiculously early today I started stripping the bike down for a proper inspect.

Front and rear coil packs off and all sparkplugs out.

Testing the coil packs they came up just out of spec on the secondary windings, with one of the ht lead prongs having a fair amount of corrosion on it.
All 4 plugs were a lovely brown colour though, so I don't think they are at fault.
I also chucked the multimeter on the pulse generator which came up just out of spec also.

So whilst I pondered the misfire problem I decided a proper strip was due before Cadwell.

Doesn't take me long to get this thing apart these days, done it enough times now!

Got the suspension linkage apart for a clean and re-grease.

Slight bit of polishing or "brinelling" on the inner races but nothing to worry about or out of the ordinary.

Cleaned up the shock too, but forgot to take a picture.

Most annoying bit of the misfire issue is I have nowhere I can test the bike to find out if I've cured it when I change something as it's not road legal.

There's a massive airfield nearby, but it's always full of pesky helicopters....

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 pm

After stripping the suspension linkage off I realised the swingarm could do with a clean, so I got out the paraffin and brushes.

I'd clean the rear brake too, but my mate has used up all the brake cleaner :roll:

Speaking of brakes I decided to whip the front wheel off so I can clean it properly and get at the brakes too. They're also in need of a clean, but again it'll have to wait.

Whilst doing this I noticed one of the threads in the fork mounts had pretty much stripped out and the bolt was just spinning with little resistance. Bit dangerous like....

So after ordering a M8 heli-coil kit I chucked an insert in there.

Hole drilled, then tapped out for insert.

Then insert fitted with some threadlock, and tang punched out after.

Back in loose to stop the caliper hanging on the brake line whilst I wait for some more brake cleaner to turn up.

I also think I've sorted the misfire issue. One of the plug caps was very dirty/sooty inside (from what I think was a loose plug), so I've cleaned that out and hope to test the bike before cadwell.

Couldn't be bothered to do anymore tonight as I'm on keys, so it's earlier starts and later finishes this week, yay.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the coil packs re-fitted and the brakes cleaned out ready to rebuild everything.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Plenty of progress on the bike last week and tonight.

Rear suspension all back in with fresh grease in the bearings and a nice clean shock.

Rear caliper was a bit minging so I cleaned that up too.

And all re-fitted.

Then I got the front brakes apart and cleaned as they had a fair bit of brake dust in them. No before picture as I forgot.

Plugs, coils, exhaust and radiators re-fitted.

Cleaned the front wheel, front spindle and fork lowers. Spindle fitted with a smear of fresh grease. Track bike won't get cleaner than that :up:

Got the tank and seat back on, filled and burped the rads and gave it a run up and down.

No signs of any misfire, so fingers crossed :pray:

Decided to get a couple of jobs done that I've been meaning to do.

First was cut 12mm off the left footpeg to account for the spacer needed for the shift rod, which should make getting my left toes round the end of the peg easier and more comfortable.

Whilst I had the saw out I took 30mm off the paddock stand spindle so it slotted into the rear hub properly and didn't allow the bike to lean so far on the stand.

And finally I got out the fibreglassing kit to strengthen a point on the lowers which has been effected by the crash bungs.

Cut the matting pieces to shape and sanded the area to get a good key.

And got sticking with the resin.

Tomorrow I should finish off the lower, clean up the bodywork for the first time in a while and stick it all back together for a proper test run. Maybe even a dyno run :grin:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 pm

So I got sidetracked yesterday as I had to pick my car up from it's MOT then got stuck in traffic for ages on the way back.

Which meant I finished putting the bike back together today, along with giving the trailer a good once over. That once over turned out to be very useful as I found one of the wheel hub nuts may as well have not even been split pinned as the nuts castellations had gone past the pin hole completely....

A washer or two later and it was solved.

With that minor diversion sorted I cleaned up the fairings and fitted them. I thought whilst I was cleaning them I may aswell de-sticker the bike too.

I rang about getting the bike on the dyno too, but there was a two week waiting list so that won't happen...

Looking forward to Cadwell though, will be nice to see everyone again and meet some new faces too! :rocks:

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 am

Looking good Oli - looking forward to seeing you there :up:

P.S. Everybody knows each HRC sticker is worth 5HP ;)

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:48 pm

So Cadwell has been and gone, and what a weekend!

Certainly wasn't what I was expecting anyway....

Firstly to update all those who were not there, the misfire issue was still present. The bike was rideable but it was getting worse and frustrating the fuck out of me. So I started investigating again.

I changed:

Coils
Leads
CDI
Plugs
Loom
Battery
Carbs

Also cleaned up all the earths.

All to no avail.

As a last ditch effort I dropped the oil ready to swap out the pulse coils from Mark's already deemed knackered bike.

Pulling out the magnetic sump plug showed a Christmas tree of swarf. Shit.

There was never a misfire, just a slipping gearbox!

So the bike was thrown into the gazebo in shame and Mike very kindly allowed me to ride his track NC30 on the Sunday. Cheers Mike :peace:

I have to say I enjoyed Mike's NC. Lower rear end, standard size BT090's, total loss and quicker gearing made for a nice contrast which I got on with quite well. (I think Simon will agree with that last statement :whistle: )

Sunday was definitely the better day for me, but Saturday reminded me why I stay around on here and enjoy meeting up with everyone. Everybody offered spares or insight to help me try find the problem all Saturday, and nothing was too big an ask. :rocks:

After staying at my GF's parents last night I awoke to a bit of a shock. I'd left my bike locked to my trailer outside their house and overnight some utter scumbags had cut both the locks on the bike. They'd also started to cut through one of the straps holding the bike onto the trailer but for some reason left it at that. Whether they were scared off by something or realised that the bike had no battery, loom, killswitch or coil packs fitted and thought it wasn't worth it I don't know.

Just makes my piss boil as I also had my MTB stolen off the roof of my car in the same place in broad daylight in January. So time to invest in some proper locks and chains I think....

Anyway, as I was off work today I got time to drive back, unload the car and trailer, go to a bike club meeting and strip the bike down ready for the engine drop tomorrow. The latter only took me an hour and a half, which I admit was helped by the fact I had already removed the coil packs, leads, battery and loom....

I removed the earth leads after taking these, and lifted the lower rad bracket out the way.

I also cleared and cleaned the workbench down ready to receive the engine tomorrow once me and my mate have dropped it out the frame.

The loom is currently in a carrier bag in a serious state of mess, so whilst I'm waiting on a gearbox/engine parts I'll do a proper track conversion on it.

Once again, thank-you to everyone who helped me out on Saturday, and a massive thank-you to Mike for letting me ride the wheels off his NC! I just hope I got some good footage of him on his RC30.

:rocks:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Last night I dropped the engine out of the frame with the help of a friend. It went very smoothly, no broken bolts or mounts, and nothing got caught or snagged. Having help and a massive low profile car jack made this job so much easier, not sure I'd want to try it on my own!

Then earlier this evening I cleaned the engine down to help prevent dirt getting inside it once open and started to take off cases etc.

First I got the clutch cover off

Then the generator cover, generator, water pump and gear selector cover.

Next I got the external gear change mechanism off, taking a couple of pictures to refer to before I realised there were clear enough ones in my haynes...

Out pinged the bloody spring loaded pawls. Luckily they didn't go far.

After that I took the starter motor, oil filter and sump off.

Barely any debris in the bottom of the sump or the oil strainer.

Next I whipped out the oil pressure relief valve, oil pump and oil transfer tube.

That's as far as I could get as my clutch tool wouldn't reach the castellations on the clutch nut properly. I originally bought it for the CB750's I had, and it worked on the engine mount locknuts, but not the clutch. So I've added one of those to the order with Rick O.

Knowing what my garage is like I bagged up the engine and removed components to protect them.

Tomorrow I'll probably clean the frame up and make a start on the wiring loom :peace:

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm

While you’ve got it apart. Could you do me a favour please?

The one way bearing in the clutch top plate. Which way does it go in? Spin left or spin right?

Been ages since I looked at mine, can’t for the life of me remember which way it goes.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 pm

It's in the Honda service manual.

Roller flange towards the case cover :peace: