Bikemonkey's NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Bikemonkey's NC30

Post by bikemonkey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:13 pm

So a big update, with very few pictures.

My motivation is somewhat depleted at the moment. A mix of the heat, busy days at work and the bike still giving me issues is probably the cause.

Anyway, yesterday I got a lot of time to work on the bike.

Coil packs, radiators and exhaust system fitted.

The exhaust was a pig. I think the rear header must have gone on at a slightly different angle than before and created a clearance issue between the rear downpipes and the rear wheel. After a couple of hours of fettling I've got it to a position I'm happy with, but it's not perfect.

After all that I fitted the carbs, tank, battery and filled it up with oil and water ready to fire it up for the first time since the rebuild.

I'm pleased to say it ran lovely :peace:

However the clutch was dragging badly, which turned out to be air in the hydraulic line luckily.

The water pump is also leaking. From the drain hole. Arse.

I'm guessing the seal had dried up and cracked in the heat in the garage over the last few weeks.

Another thing to buy.... :roll:

I wasn't able to test the loom fully, I should have ran it in gear on the stand to make sure it'd go past the factory restriction. But that'll have to wait until next week.

So new water pump, complete the wiring loom, change the valve shims, drain and fill the oil and filter and put everything back together properly and I'll be ready to find somewhere private and quiet to have a test run :up:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Last two days have seen me get close to complete.

Shims turned up, so bike stripped ready to swap them out.

Seven of the blighters to change. So much easier just swapping than measuring the gap, then the shim, and repeat....

And back together minus the wiring loom and clocks.

This mess got wrapped up tonight.

Much better. I do hate wiring :down:

Then back onto the bike and all plugged in.

I re-fitted the top fairing as it was getting in the way in the garage and put the bike back against the wall as I'm just waiting on a water pump to turn up now.

Once that turns up I'll get it changed, rads filled, oil and filter changed and a test run.

Fingers crossed it'll all be sorted by then :pray:

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Top work Oli, keep us posted 👍

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:25 pm

New water pump arrived late last week, so I laid the bike against the wall of my garage and whipped out old the one.

And fitted the new.

Unfortunately I had pretty much forgotten that when the pump leaks out of the housing hole, it's probably leaking into the engine too.

So as you can guess it did, which resulted in 5 flushes before I was happy with what was coming out.

Luckily I don't buy mega expensive oil, and I buy it in bulk. Not like I just threw 12.5 litres of castrol down the drain.

After that pain in the backside it's finally back in one piece and ready for a trackday on Sunday. Cutting it fine by my standards.

Thanks everyone for your comments etc, I know I haven't replied to them but I have seen them :rocks:

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Big update, and the last one for quite a while I reckon!

The trackday I was on about in the last post was mostly a washout with just one dry session. Luckily somebody managed to get a decent picture from that one session! Despite the rain it was a good opportunity to shakedown the bike and make sure everything was good after the gearbox change.

Unfortunately the Reg/Rec let go that day and was overcharging the battery. Luckily all the battery did was die, not boil or anything bad.

As I had another trackday coming up and not a lot of money (going to be a permanent theme from now on, bloody house savings) I nicked the RR off my 750 which is not currently on the road.

Wired it up by taking the wires out of the plug and slotting them straight into the RR, as it's an R1 item and the standard plug doesn't fit.

The next day at Bedford Autodrome was perfect weather, overcast with no rain and not too hot.

I was really enjoying the bike, so much so that I had to buy more fuel at the circuit because I had nearly ran out!
Unfortunately/fortunately when I came back from the pump I noticed that my front sprocket bolt had gone for a walk round the track! :oops:

I'm really lucky to find this before it caused proper damage or a crash. And I only missed the last session of the day.

I'll be drilling the new bolt and the sprocket to lock-wire the bugger before I ride it again....

Once back in the garage I was able to get a look at what had actually been damaged, and again I'd been lucky.
The shiny bits on the chain rivets is just aluminium thankfully and the chain hasn't been compromised in any way.

It did however cut slightly into the clutch slave/sprocket cover. Small price to pay I think.

As I'm skint and also have no more trackdays booked I've decided to put the bike away for winter already.

Oil changed, water changed for coolant, battery removed, RR removed and put back on the 750, wheels and brakes cleaned, tank drained and lined with two stroke oil, airbox removed and bagged, inlets bunged and bagged, exhaust bunged and bagged, carbs removed drained and bagged and finally a good coating of ACF50.

All back together, and then I had an idea.

As my garage condensates so much I know that I need to protect anything in it that could corrode or get mouldy due to damp. As I work with aircraft I have access to some useful stuff. Namely the plastic sheeting we use to preserve jet engines in storage :whistle:

Now to make more space/keep the bike out the way I decided to put it up on the workbench I made with intention to restore a CB750F I had. I removed the wheels it used to have on it as they didn't allow for good weight distribution, and pushed the bike up on top with the help of my trailer ramp.

I stuck the bike on the rear stand and used the front stand to lift the front wheel whilst I put the plastic in place. A nice thick layer of bubble wrap on top should help keep it relatively safe from flying things in the garage!

I also got a couple of desiccant bags from work too.

Then I sealed the bag up and left a small opening to fit my battery hoover in to try and remove as much air as possible with such a weak sucker ;)

With all the space left around the bike I picked all the stuff I use least often or only for trackdays and filled it.

Unfortunately I don't know when the bike will be coming out of it's bag, but I do know there'll be a big list of stuff to do before I can even start it, never mind ride it!

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 am

bikemonkey wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 pm
I'll be drilling the new bolt and the sprocket to lock-wire the bugger before I ride it again....
Drilling and wire locking the front sprocket, whilst possible, shouldn't be necessary. I have had these bolts so tight the only way to shift them is with an impact driver so if it is torqued up right you should have no issues, plus the motion of the sprocket actually tightens it further.

P.S. love the bike packing. Heads up though, If it is that moist in the garage just watch out for the desiccant packages getting saturated and thus becoming a source of moisture themselves within the packaging. I get the idea, but sometime they can actually be more of a problem than a help. If they are the same ones I think they are ;) :whistle: there is usually an indicator strip in the tin. Blue is good but if it goes pink it is moist. If you have one of these, it is worth sticking it on the desiccant pack so you can easily see if is still good ;)

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Cheers Ian, I'll ask the engine bay on Monday.

Can always swap them out for more. The guys just bung them in the oven after taking them out a box.

I've never had a problem with the front sprocket bolt before, and I've had it off an on before the rebuild. But belt and braces from now on I think, the reality of what could have happened doesn't bear thinking about!

The Novice
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23 NC30 CRM250

Post by The Novice » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Just had a read through and its given me inspiration to get my nc sorted. Cant believe just how matter of fact it is to strip it completely and put it back together! I look at the bike and don't even know where I should start! Great thread.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm

My moto is still languishing with a lack of attention and space.

The KTM is being sold and some of the cash will be looking to find another motor (a running one) and to get my shit together to sort it.

Great work on your fixes mate - I do love a good news story!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:54 am

Cheers guys!

I'm feeling a little lost with it being bagged up at the moment and nothing to do, at least the absolute hound of a 750 I have will give me something to do when I get round to it.

Novice believe me, it's taken a while to be matter of fact about stripping it all! I will admit I was nervous about the gearbox change and took my time over that, but I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so taking apart important stuff and putting it back together has become second nature almost!

I'm hoping to get at least two track days next year, with at least one being one of the cadwell classic days, wouldn't miss that for anything :rocks: