lukemillar - NC30 Post Classic race bike

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30
Re: lukemillar - NC30 Post Classic race bike

Post by iDemonix » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 am

Nice!

Shame about the ride-off but nevermind, you were holding well! Throttle seemed a bit choppy on the first corner, but hey I've never even been on a race track!

Thanks for the advice, I'm dreading the engine swap, mainly because my exhaust was a swine to fit last time, so thinking of waiting until I've got £600 spare and just putting a brand new Tyga system on!

When/where is the next round?
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.

miper
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 89 nc30

Post by miper » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Good news nothing serious there Luke. Shame about the day but I guess thats as they say "racing". Might not see ya at the next one but should be good for the following one.

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24

Post by lukemillar » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:46 pm

miper wrote:Good news nothing serious there Luke. Shame about the day but I guess thats as they say "racing". Might not see ya at the next one but should be good for the following one.
Thanks Mike and nice to meet you. I have to say... you had a pretty decent round. I checked the results when I got home and 2 wins- good stuff!

miper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by miper » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Cheers Luke. Bit Lucky really with you not being out there promoted me one place and the the bloke getting the 20 sec penalty gave me the second win even though he was ahead on the track, but hey I guess i'll take it. Still 4 rounds to go so I'm pretty sure you will be up there at the end of it all.

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by lukemillar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:01 am

Developing the FCR's

With round 3 a couple of weeks away, I decided to head up to practice a week early instead of the day before race day to work on the FCR tuning. It has been near impossible to find the GTX needles recommended, so I sourced some FTX and GTV needles to see which work better. Also had a handful of mains to try as well.

First thing that was really apparent was the stumbling on the straights at wide open throttle. I forgot the airbox that the carbs were initially set up with, so it seems that it is just running very lean. I fit the biggest mains I have, which helps but throughout the day, my top speed down the straights are consistently ~10-15kph down on lap times logged in race conditions.
I test the two different needles with various clip positions and find that the FTX needles have a lean stumble coming out of Higgins between 3/4 and WOT, whereas the GTV's surge through Turn 2 on 1/4 to 1/2 constant throttle. The FTX definitely feel better and give better lap times. I also think some bigger mains will help with the lean stumble at 3/4.

The problem is, is that as good as I can get the FCR's by the end of the day, they still aren't as quick as the HRC spec CV carbs that I have been running! I decide that I really want to get some good results next weekend, and so swap back to the the CV's until I can get hold of some more jets and do some more testing. The FCR's are showing a lot of promise out of the corners getting onto the gas, but with 3 straights at Manfeild, top end is critical. As a side note, I have swapped my number boards over to the new black/white F3 spec, fitted better sized Honda logos and could some Force V4 graphics. None of this will make it any faster, but it now looks even more like an 89 TT-F3 bike which is cool! On to round 3!

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by lukemillar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 am

2012 VMCC Winter Series - Rnd 3

I am really keen to get some good results at round 3! The bike is working perfectly, tyres are almost new and the weather forecast has been nothing but sun for a week. With everything looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of times I can do with the new engine. I go into the weekend with a PB lap time of 1m21.3s

Qualifying

The sun has only been up for an hour and it is freezing! However, we are last in the schedule so have 5 sessions before to go before us first. It is fairly uneventful except for being almost hit from behind going into T1! It was close, but we both stayed upright which was the main thing. Ended up 2nd in F3 again and around 7th on the combine grid.

Race 1

Get a pretty good start, but brake too early. I'm regretting not doing practice the day before as it takes me too long to get into my groove. Both Russ Forest and Terry Moran get ahead of me into T1, but I'm able to re-pass them on the first lap. Then Russ retakes me into Dunlop! I don't get on the gas as early as I would like and so we both get passed down the straight by Malcolm MacDonald. As the series leader, he is the guy to chase and we have similar pace. I go in chase and despite hounding him for most of the race, he holds me off and I finish in 2nd just 0.8s off the win. What is more encouraging is every lap after the first is in the 1m20s bracket with a new PB of 1m20.152s! Just a couple of tenths away from my goal of breaking into the 19s!

https://vimeo.com/46162277

Race 2

Weather is now pretty toasty and with a good result in race 1, I'm fired up to try and go one better and take the win. Get an average start and lose a place into T1, but quickly retake it. I chase after Malcolm again and end up on his back wheel for most of the race. It's really interesting to see where he is quick compared to me. As a side point, I can spot some area's where I definitely need to improve. On the penultimate lap, I dive up the inside into T2 and put the hammer down to try and stay ahead. My heart is racing as I don't make any mistakes or see him try and pass until I am safely over the finish line! Turns out he was right on my back wheel and I take my first win in F3 but 0.1s! I also beat my PB again with a 1m19.975s so I am over the moon. Looking at the lap times and we're running 21/22s for the entire race until that last lap, where we drop into the 19s.

https://vimeo.com/46162276

Race 3

It is getting late in the day now and the glare off the track is making it hard to see some of my reference points. I get a rubbish start and end up 3rd or 4th into T1 in F3. I pick off a couple of people again, but Malcolm is too far ahead to catch - especially since we are running similar lap times. I have a small moment coming out of Dunlop and decide to just finish the last couple of laps rubber side down as I'm not catching. Finish 2nd again with a best lap of 1m20.623s.

https://vimeo.com/46162278

Overall, it was a great weekend's racing. I achieved the 2 goals I set myself which was to win a race and get into the 19s. I really feel like I learned a lot this weekend as well, but also have a really clear picture on things I need to improve upon. I'll miss round 4 because I'm heading back to Europe, but will be back at the 2 day meeting in September. By then, hopefully I have the FCR's up to speed and maybe even the HRC cams.

Photo courtesy of Andrew Phillipson

Photo by Dallas Alexander @ fotocd.co.nz

Photo by Dallas Alexander @ fotocd.co.nz
Last edited by lukemillar on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

miper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by miper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 am

Good work that man. Good to see you got some good results for the efforts. Gutted to miss the meeting but me and work have differant ideas about which country I should be in so bit difficult to get there. Watched the first race on livetiming and it looked like a good day with you blokes going hard. Congrats on the 19's, my goal as well.

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Nice write up, i bet that win will be the first of many with all of these improvements your making to the bike! What sort of spec is that Malcolm MacDonald running?

Also gold wheels will finish that scheme off ;)

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by lukemillar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Haha - I actually have some spare wheel bearings, that I bought ages ago for the purpose of getting the wheels powdercoated. Thing is, I can't bring myself to spend to much $$ making it look pretty when I can make it faster! It will happen though, so watch this space

Malcolm is on a Kawasaki KR1. Not sure what he has done to it but that bike is fast. Beginning of last year, my stock NC30 was quicker in a straight line, but not anymore. It keeps up with a 450 Kawasaki ZXR down the straights without blinking. Probably weighs f'all as well!

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:53 am

Im planning on painting mine gold as soon as i get hold of an RVF rear, but i know what you mean cant be cheap running a racebike!
Arent KR1's sposed to do 140mph stock?! I bet that thing is nudging 150 if its as fast as you say, i certainly wouldnt want the rebuild bill for that. :P